Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

FAS is one of the least “greedy” companies in the music business.

Yes their products cost a premium, but they are designed to the highest level of durability and performance. They could cut a lot of corners, use cheap parts, and most wouldn’t even notice but they don’t. They spec the best possible parts even though it lessens their profits.

What other company provides free updates for 7+ years, and not just one update but dozens of them, all for free ?

What other company has the head designer/owner personally respond to messages, work sundays on free updates and big fixes etc?

Cliff could just have the cheapest bidder build them, cutting as many corners as possible, sell them at Guitar Center, moving 10x the volume, and instead of working on updates he could retire to a nice beach, just letting the money roll into his offshore accounts, yet he does none of that.

Greedy? Furthest thing from it in my opinion.

So weird how with modelers it’s all about having “latest and greatest”, “ top of the line” etc, but with hardware it’s often the exact opposite; tons of folks prefer the older versions

Digitech kept coming out with new and improved Whammy pedals and everyone kept paying a fortune for the first version.

Everyone wants the old MIJ versions of Boss pedals. Older amps are more desireable than new builds etc. Script versions of MXR sounded better than block versions, which sounded better than the script reissue.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think the new stuff sounds better, my III is better than my II, but surprising there isn’t a subset of guitarist out there rocking early Fw II’s or Ultras, and claiming on forums how the newer stuff didn’t sound as good and the “vintage” stuff is where it’s at.

Old amps, old guitars, broken-in speakers, rare pedals, broken in boots.... up to date firmware

I would say there are tons of guitarists rocking Ultras etc...who are completely happy and not on the forum. There is one guy in our town who I don't think is on the forum and has an ultra and gigs regularly.

I would say there are tons of guitarists rocking Ultras etc...who are completely happy and not on the forum. There is one guy in our town who I don't think is on the forum and has an ultra and gigs regularly.

More time one spends playing and gigging, the less time there is for spending worrying about new stuff

There are some guys I cycle with who ride pretty old bikes but they blow everyone away in sprints and climbs. Why ? Because when the rest of us are inside spending time picking out the latest carbon fiber parts, they are out riding and getting stronger. Same thing could apply to most any hobby.

the firmware updates are great. of course they are. i love them.

but i think some people "collect firmware updates" more than they play music. and many are sad that they can't "catch 'em all" anymore with the Axe2 generation.

updates are a means to play music and work better. the tech industry - mostly computer and cell phones - have really trained many people to think your device suddenly works worse if a new thing comes out.

it doesn't. it works the same. the gig you played last night that sounded "amazing omg i love my Axe2" won't sound any different tonight due to FW 3 coming out for the Axe3. sometimes this is forgotten.

FAS is one of the least “greedy” companies in the music business.

Yes their products cost a premium, but they are designed to the highest level of durability and performance. They could cut a lot of corners, use cheap parts, and most wouldn’t even notice but they don’t. They spec the best possible parts even though it lessens their profits.

What other company provides free updates for 7+ years, and not just one update but dozens of them, all for free ?

What other company has the head designer/owner personally respond to messages, work sundays on free updates and big fixes etc?

Cliff could just have the cheapest bidder build them, cutting as many corners as possible, sell them at Guitar Center, moving 10x the volume, and instead of working on updates he could retire to a nice beach, just letting the money roll into his offshore accounts, yet he does none of that.

Greedy? Furthest thing from it in my opinion.
I never referred to them in any way

This thread used to be about whether Axe FX 2 UI improvements that were requested for years, but only arrived to Axe FX 3, were posponed because of hardware limitations, and whether they were possible to port to Axe FX 2. I asked that because I was specifically jealous of the wonderful Input/output blocks in Axe FX 3.

I got my answer at page 1
Which is:
Some or maybe all could be ported but, to be frank, it's not going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense to undergo a development effort that large on a product that won't be generating any revenue.

This thread may very well be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread used to be about whether Axe FX 2 UI improvements that were requested for years, but only arrived to Axe FX 3, were posponed because of hardware limitations, and whether they were possible to port to Axe FX 2. I asked that because I was specifically jealous of the wonderful Input/output blocks in Axe FX 3.

I got my answer at page 1
Which is:

This thread may very well be closed.
Yea well why would you be frank when you could be Jesus and make miracles happen
And turn water into wine
And turn the axe fx 2 into a lite version of the 3 with the same modeling

Oh crud I wonder if this means no scull crusher? Oh well we get what we get. I must say some of Cliffs comments had my hopes up that we might be getting a little more or a lot more however I am already over the moon with what he has already given us in the last update.

Oh crud I wonder if this means no scull crusher? Oh well we get what we get. I must say some of Cliffs comments had my hopes up that we might be getting a little more or a lot more however I am already over the moon with what he has already given us in the last update.
This is a very old thread.
And it's about UI specifically, not amp modelling.

Cliff may very well put skull crusher in the final release of Ares for Axe FX 2

Back
Top Bottom