Are Fractal's efforts well directed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all,

First I want to say that I am Fractal user since the Axe Fx II and after trying several processors I still think it's the best in terms of sound, but not in other respects.

I've always thought that I would have liked to have certain pedals and amps for bass before having so many software updates. For example, I have been waiting for more than 5 years to incorporate the Darkglass Alpha Omega and I'm still carrying the pedal to all the live shows. Many people expect this but it never comes.

What are the points to improve for a future Axe Fx IV? Its old appearance, not having a touch screen and not having a small and powerful floor unit apart from the cheap FM3 (being able to have 2 amps at the same time and several features of the Ax Fx III).

I would also like to know your opinions.

Thanks
To which I submit the following to the forum:

Are JH-2's efforts well directed?

Sure, pushing features and development forward. Never a bad thing to wish or critique.

I think in this case the thread is mostly due to specific wishes not implemented.

I despise touch screens as someone with highly acidic sweat that etches screens in no time. Also, I despised that combo data wheel and joystick on the Helix.

From my perspective, Fractal seems to be directing their efforts well.

If you look at the FW notes, exposed parameters, sound clips, playing feel of Axe-FX II through III and compare it to any of the major players during that time, who do you think has a better product evolution and development over the same time period?

For me, Fractal has been crushing the competition.

Why do you think that I stopped supporting the Helix?
I found the Helix joystick far preferable to Fractal's overly widely placed arrow keys but Helix needs to be configured so joystick wheel turn = "select" rather than "change model" that is the default.

I feel Line6 has brought firmware updates that improve on all areas of their products, even if they take a very long time to release them. But compared to Fractal they tend to be more heavily tested and thus for us end users more bug-free.

Probably 80-90% of Fractal's updates deal with improving the accuracy of the amp modeling. Sure it's best in the business but I would love to see more progress in other areas too.

The last relevant usability improvement to me was fw 17 with the double click shortcuts. That made a big difference to onboard UI editing and I wish Fractal had kept that sort of improvements going. I mean we still don't have that FM3/FM9 larger UI to make them more readable on the floor. But I'm not the one making the product so all I can do is present my wishes for it.

Reactions: KFF
Funny how we have the best, with the most, plus continuous updates... and it’s never enough nor good enough for some, because it doesn’t do everything imaginable.

Astonishing.

I’m thankfully not one of those guitarist.

I spend more of my time enjoying what I have, thankful to FAS for what they’ve done... and that thing called practicing.

From what the unit was when i got it early 2020 to what the axe fx 3 is now. The number of update and improvements, that have been made made are very very significant and not gimmicks. If you collect all final release patch notes since even 2020 and read them in one place you will be truly over whelmed! the number of added features more options for may blocks, modelling improvement for amps, setlists, new amps/ drives, added speaker page settings, it is just crazy that a company supports a product at no added costs for us which such passion and care! because i see nobody else doing so much in this space.

Surely we all want different things, some are added some are not, some inspite of being most asked for aren't added for whatever reasons.
But to say fractals efforts not being well directed is a big big oversight and incorrect.

The last relevant usability improvement to me was fw 17 with the double click shortcuts. That made a big difference to onboard UI editing and I wish Fractal had kept that sort of improvements going. I mean we still don't have that FM3/FM9 larger UI to make them more readable on the floor.
I use these all the time - thanks for the great suggestion!

I think the contrarian opinion can sometimes help, like @My name is mud insisting in the face of withering statements that the shred button on Petrucci’s Boogie was wrong.

But I think what Fractal does as a company is amazing. The point for this thread is, do they focus too much on guitar gear at the expense of bass? I never looked at this as a bass processor any more than it is a vocal processor. I mean, you can process bass and vocals, and people do, but I think it’s marketed primarily for guitarists and not to bassists, with a few dedicated pieces of bass gear, and I always assumed that’s for guitarists in bands whose bassist want to run through the unit at the same time as the guitar. I could be wrong, but that’s how it’s always struck me. I don’t think that’s misdirected though, I just think this thing is built to me the ultimate guitar gear modeler, and that it’s so expansive and world class, you can really use it for a ton more stuff, including bass. But I’m not a bassist, so I’m putting this idea out there with the big caveat that there could be something obvious I’m missing here.

And the point about the guitar gear being usable for bass is a great point. A very young and prodigious Eric Valentine set up sounds like that on the T-Ride album, and it sounds incredible.

Way more guitar players here than bass players, so yes, I think their efforts are well directed. Need a very specific niche pedal/sound? Put the pedal on your board and use it with the unit until you get the update you’re looking for. Include your wishes in the wish list rather than calling people out on a general forum. This is not the way to get the company to respond to your wishes.

I think the contrarian opinion can sometimes help, like @My name is mud insisting in the face of withering statements that the shred button on Petrucci’s Boogie was wrong.

But I think what Fractal does as a company is amazing. The point for this thread is, do they focus too much on guitar gear at the expense of bass? I never looked at this as a bass processor any more than it is a vocal processor. I mean, you can process bass and vocals, and people do, but I think it’s marketed primarily for guitarists and not to bassists, with a few dedicated pieces of bass gear, and I always assumed that’s for guitarists in bands whose bassist want to run through the unit at the same time as the guitar. I could be wrong, but that’s how it’s always struck me. I don’t think that’s misdirected though, I just think this thing is built to me the ultimate guitar gear modeler, and that it’s so expansive and world class, you can really use it for a ton more stuff, including bass. But I’m not a bassist, so I’m putting this idea out there with the big caveat that there could be something obvious I’m missing here.

And the point about the guitar gear being usable for bass is a great point. A very young and prodigious Eric Valentine set up sounds like that on the T-Ride album, and it sounds incredible.
It is much more focused on guitarists, there is no doubt about that. I think it's time to stop so many updates and improve the bass equipment.

I still think that it is the best in terms of sound but I still see it as very old and not very comfortable to use, small screen, depending on the computer… This is not an attack, it is just a reality.

Way more guitar players here than bass players, so yes, I think their efforts are well directed. Need a very specific niche pedal/sound? Put the pedal on your board and use it with the unit until you get the update you’re looking for. Include your wishes in the wish list rather than calling people out on a general forum. This is not the way to get the company to respond to your wishes.
You are very wrong my friend. The efforts are not well directed in my opinion so also respect the opinion of others, It's basic…

Imho I hope Fractal Audio never compromises the sound quality/quantity of amplifiers and effects etc and ruggedness of their gear to put a touch screen, Bluetooth, or make it smaller and lighter. You players describing a Helix or quad cortex should just purchase those. I love Fractal Audio gear as it is currently. It can easily be set up for live use and the sounds are unmatched.

There are more opinions outside this forum, I am in contact with many musicians and they all think the same, that is why this thread was opened. Many have affirmed that they prefer it that way and I respect it, but they have recognized that an old system for 2022.

Having a modern device does not mean that it is not robust and has less quality.

You take all suggestions as an attack and that is not my problem, I respect all opinions.

I don't think touchscreens and bluetooth make a device 'modern'. It's all about the algorith. The amp modelling is using technical innovation that is unique, and others are still using techniques from shall we say the last generation of modelling. Speaking for myself, if Cliff put anything in the Axe that transmitted a radio signal like BT I would ask how to rip it out.

I don't get any of the "criticisms" posted here. It's a piece of professional music equipment, not an iPad.
Could it have more bass gear? Sure, but it's marketed for guitar players. So I don't think "time to stop the updates and give me the exact pedal I want" is a sensible suggestion.
We have been in oblivion for years my friend, the pedal thing was just an example, everyone understands things as they want, the reality is different…

I don't get any of the "criticisms" posted here. It's a piece of professional music equipment, not an iPad.
Could it have more bass gear? Sure, but it's marketed for guitar players. So I don't think "time to stop the updates and give me the exact pedal I want" is a sensible suggestion.
When I was learning how to read the patch names via sysex, a friend asked what I was doing. I said I was trying to get my little display to match what was on the big display. He said, well it's a computer, why doesn't it have HDMI? It was a fair question from his perspective, but it was hard to explain exactly why it didn't have an HDMI out. I would class that in the same category as BT. It's just not that sort of toy.

It is much more focused on guitarists, there is no doubt about that. I think it's time to stop so many updates and improve the bass equipment.

I still think that it is the best in terms of sound but I still see it as very old and not very comfortable to use, small screen, depending on the computer… This is not an attack, it is just a reality.

It’s neither. It’s an opinion, and I have no problem with your voicing it....as long as you’re ok with everybody else voicing theirs.

My opinion is that “on device” controls are rarely used. Touch screens and delicate computer controls like joysticks don’t belong on a device that you put on the floor and stomp on. I agree with the “conventional wisdom” that Fractal has the best computer editors. That’s where 90% of tweaking interactions with the device happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom