AOTW 3 VOX AC-30 Top Boost

My go-to for cleans with my Strat for quite a while... now if I could just decide on an IR combination... (I'm going to end up buying C Pack 4 for the Class A cabs, aren't I?)

This was my second amp. I loved it to bits. I used to get a nice crunch from it at high volume and lead boost from a GT6 (Blues Driver model thingy). Rolling back the guitar volume with a compressor gave me clean tones. I learned so much from using it, not just about how to handle amps, but also about carving out a good tone.

The Axe-Fx II got a range of models which all "beat" the original AC-30s IMHO:

The Morgan AC-20, Matchless DC-30, FAS Class-A, Ruby Rocket ....

Funny - I did not realize the Ruby Rocket was a Vox-alike... I remembered reading it was based on a Trainwreck. Just read the wiki and of course found that the Wreck is Vox-ish :)

Anyway, I brought the gain down and got a really nice clean(ish) sound that I'm enjoying - thanks! Yet another amp I dig :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea the other models sound better/polished than ac30....but thats exactly what makes the ac30 tb sim special. It sounds broke, alone almost
not nice (opposite of a fender twin) but cuts through the mix, has attitude and character.

I hated the ac30 when i played for the first time, 12-13 years ago...

Wow
Was just messing with this tonight and it's unbelievable how much you can change this amp just having it factory stock and just change the treble and hi cut knobs
It's outstanding!!
I can't believe how much the axe has changed and always evolving from when I started on FW 9

The AC30 sounds better than it ever has in FW14. I've always used the Top Boost model over the regular AC30 model, but last night I was messing around with the Tom's Mix irs in Cab Pack 4, and it sounded incredible. Just the normal AC30, the Mix irs panned in stereo, and I assigned the input gain to an expression pedal- might be my favorite sound yet! The drive comes on very smoothly and gradually with my Gretsch now. Killer stuff.

The Morgan also sounds great, and I'm glad to have the 12AX7 channel. Very clean, and I like me cleans. I've been struggling a little bit more with the DC30, although I haven't had the chance to mess with it recently.

I haven't loved the AC-30 model yet, but I haven't tried tweaking it in a while. The main reason is that I LOVE the AC-15TB model so much that it gets all my playing time. Don't overlook the AC-15!

Very true- the AC15 has its own kind of vibe working for it. It's always sounded a little bit clearer to my ears, almost like the distortion quality wasn't quite as dense. I have no idea if I'm making sense, but it's a really great model.

I played Fenders in the analog world for almost all of my guitar playing life, but the Voxes in the AF2 have really caught my attention. I love the cut knob. Perfect for removing the ice-pick.

Wow
Was just messing with this tonight and it's unbelievable how much you can change this amp just having it factory stock and just change the treble and hi cut knobs
It's outstanding!!
I can't believe how much the axe has changed and always evolving from when I started on FW 9

I started at 5.07. FW 7 is where I really got into it, and I'm glad they are still working on FW. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

This thread succeeded in deciding me to test what I wanted to do for a long time : alternatives to the AC30TB (which I also like). Here's a preset :

Scene 1 = DC30
Scene 2 = Morgan 12AX7
Scene 3 = both, in stereo (yummy)
Scene 4 = like scene 3 + tape delay
Scene 5 = like scene 3 + 2290 delay

To be used with the provided IR

This preset is now replacing my Vox AC30 crunch preset in bank A (#005). I'm still using the AC30TB for my U2 preset though.

Attachments

• 003-AC-20 ASW Absolute 25.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DC30 + Morgan.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 74
The guy who set up my guitar this week works in a professional studio. They have a Vox AC30 which he cranked up and used for testing. Apparently he wasted half the day playing around with it. Told me a LP through one of these sounds amazing. I really haven't tried enough with this amp.

Back
Top Bottom