AOTW 3 VOX AC-30 Top Boost

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
Last week's poll was a landslide victory for Vox's AC-30 Top Boost.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/84459-poll-aotw-week-3-a.html

So the AC-30? I'm not too familiar with this amp, other than to say some of the most famous rock royalty have used this amp as a staple to their unique tone. For me the most notable guitarist is Brian May. I've met him a few times, the most down to earth and polite man that i've ever met and we've all heard his back catalogue with Queen.

Ladies and mostly gentleman, I give you the AC-30....

Vox AC30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VOX | Hand-Wired AC30 & AC15

Amp: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool !!
Look forward to this Classic.
I have ALWAYS struggled with my AF2 to get that Queen tone ( per your clip )

Love this model! I use it for a bit crunchy tone but now even for my clean tones! From the moment i installed FW6, this amp was my most favorite one. For clean i used the CAE first channel for a long time but since fw14 i also for my clean tone. Just love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool !!
Look forward to this Classic.
I have ALWAYS struggled with my AF2 to get that Queen tone ( per your clip )

By the way, i don't think you will find Brian may's tone in there.... What he does to his sound is not only "magic" but also top secret ☺️

It is something truly special when an amp has such a signature sound, that I usually know that I not only like the sound I am hearing, But I also know exactly what amp (or the family of me too amps) that I am hearing when I hear an AC-30 (a few amps fall into this category - but most especially the AC-30)
The AC-30 absolutely carved it's own instantly recognizable sound.
IMHO - that is pretty damn cool, not to mention they have been on the shelves since about the day I was born, and are still a first choice amp world wide for a whole lotta players. :encouragement:

Reactions: yek
Has anyone got a good sounding AC preset? It has eluded me so far.

Does it sound better with single coils rather than buckers?

Remember, Brian May used the AC30TB in several songs but he substituted the "Blue" Speakers with the Greenbacks!

Awesome, never been able to tame this beast and been inspired to give it another go now, or maybe say the Morgan AC-20 instead.

The Morgan is modeled on the EF86 preamp channel. For me, I LOVE that sound -- my perfect combo of clean-ish to edgy.

For cleaner, I'm using the DC-30. I am totally into the Vox sound, but never really got along with the AC-30 model. Happy as a clam now.

TT

The Morgan is modeled on the EF86 preamp channel. For me, I LOVE that sound -- my perfect combo of clean-ish to edgy.

For cleaner, I'm using the DC-30. I am totally into the Vox sound, but never really got along with the AC-30 model. Happy as a clam now.

TT

Looks like FW14.01 adds the Morgan 12ax7 mode :)

Another new amp to try!

I agree with the previous comment about the "better" AC30 models... I like the AC20 and DC30 models better, however I have no real experience with any of the real amps.

Great for the edge-of-breakup chiming clean sound.

I never cared for the other models that are based on the AC30 as much as the AC30. The others just seem more polite to me or something. The AC30 is just like "here I am, love it or leave it." The others try to hard to fix the warts that to me are integral to the charm.

Back
Top Bottom