Anything close to the Suhr SL67 / 68 (for EVH-style tone) as far as amp models go?

SinglecutGuy

Inspired
I've been reading a lot about these and watching a lot of demos on them, seems to be pretty darn close to EVH's earlyish sound. I'm thinking they're modeled after a Super Lead 67 or 68, hence the "SL" but could be wrong. I don't know EVH history, so I can't compare to that. I just know I like the tones coming from that amp, and would like to set up a similar patch on my Axe.

Anyone have suggestions?

The Suhr models are straight up Plexi circuits with just a few extra features. The goal was to make a consistently great sounding Plexi and I think Suhr nailed it. Since the Suhr IS a Plexi the models in the Axe will get you exactly where you want to go.

Last edited:
Thone Suhr models are straight up Plexi circuits with just a few extra features. The goal was to make a consistently great sounding Plexi and I think Suhr nailed it. Since the Suhr IS a Plexi the models in the Axe will get you exactly where you want to go.

Agreed. The Suhr scores with reliability. Not necessary with the Axe.

I like the tone at this demo played with a SL67 and I came to this thread. I've tried Burg's preset but it is very different. This is not EVH tone.

I've tried several Plexis but I still cannot even get close. Any suggestion? Maybe the CAB choice?

I am particular interested in the clean and the lead rather than the raw crunch at the rhythm section. The clean has a lot of dynamic, breaking when pushing hard, and the lead is mellow

Last edited:
Agree the clean and lead in that clip sound fantastic.
I'd bet money there's compression on that clean though, maybe just youtube, but somewhere.

I've just started learning the solo from "Feel your love tonight" using this preset. Sounds Amazing.
Do you have the echo in front of the amp and a phaser running during the solo?

I went on a wonderful EVH journey (again) after buying a EVH Frankie replica. Kept the 9’s and used a lighter pick. Everything is ‘slinky’…but like Andy said..embrace the slink.

I discovered that Ed doesn’t leave the echoplex on full time like I assumed, especially on VH2 and later. Part of the fun was applying the effects like he does. Also, the pickups made a huge difference. The EVH Frankie’s p/u’s are awesome. But I also love my Thornbucker thru the same preset. Different tone but both are great.

Do you have the echo in front of the amp and a phaser running during the solo?

I went on a wonderful EVH journey (again) after buying a EVH Frankie replica. Kept the 9’s and used a lighter pick. Everything is ‘slinky’…but like Andy said..embrace the slink.

I discovered that Ed doesn’t leave the echoplex on full time like I assumed, especially on VH2 and later. Part of the fun was applying the effects like he does. Also, the pickups made a huge difference. The EVH Frankie’s p/u’s are awesome. But I also love my Thornbucker thru the same preset. Different tone but both are great.
The preset has a scene with echoplex and phaser and it sounds dead on to me. I've been using a musicman axis but have two guitars with the pickups that are in your Frankie and would have to agree they sound awesome. Think I used 10's on the axis for E flat and Ernie ball 9 hybrids on my evh wolfgang usa for E standard.

The preset has a scene with echoplex and phaser and it sounds dead on to me. I've been using a musicman axis but have two guitars with the pickups that are in your Frankie and would have to agree they sound awesome. Think I used 10's on the axis for E flat and Ernie ball 9 hybrids on my evh wolfgang usa for E standard.
I ended up making a scene just for those settings also. Oh, I also have the echo-preamp CAB blk in the chain. I think it may be in one of @Burgs threads in the preset exchange. To me it kinda acts like a tubescreamer does to a flubby amp. It keeps it a tad tighter and adds a little compression. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it sounds like a tube screamer. It's very subtle and it's possible that I may not be able to tell the difference if it was taken out and I didn't know it. There's a great VH tone thread in the preset exchange but I'm sure you've been there if you've used Burgs' preset.

I ended up making a scene just for those settings also. Oh, I also have the echo-preamp CAB blk in the chain. I think it may be in one of @Burgs threads in the preset exchange. To me it kinda acts like a tubescreamer does to a flubby amp. It keeps it a tad tighter and adds a little compression. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it sounds like a tube screamer. It's very subtle and it's possible that I may not be able to tell the difference if it was taken out and I didn't know it. There's a great VH tone thread in the preset exchange but I'm sure you've been there if you've used Burgs' preset.
I know everyone that is a Van Halen fan loves his early tones. As do I. I'm just a little younger than most Eddie fans. I was in 5th grade when Balance came out and I really got into Them. So that is still one of my favorite tones of his. There is a preset on the axechange called EVH madness that is really close to this tone and is just so much fun to play on. But if the Sammy years are sacreligious to you, I totally understand. :laughing:

I know everyone that is a Van Halen fan loves his early tones. As do I. I'm just a little younger than most Eddie fans. I was in 5th grade when Balance came out and I really got into Them. So that is still one of my favorite tones of his. There is a preset on the axechange called EVH madness that is really close to this tone and is just so much fun to play on. But if the Sammy years are sacreligious to you, I totally understand. :laughing:
I appreciate all the tones. I have a 5150 scene and then a Balance preset that I keep meaning to bring over into a scene, all in one preset. The tones with modulation are almost harder to get than the early tones for me. But I think that's mostly because I don't play through a stereo set up or W/D/W. It's funny, because I have the gear to do it (I think). I just treat the AfxIII and my Xitone as if it's an amp. I did steal Andy Wood's mid 90's EVH preset for my Balance tone though and it's pretty close after tweaking. Everything has to be tweaked from rig to rig I've learned. But there's almost always a 'starting point' in there. And the effect settings are useful. The hardest tone that alludes me is the song 5150. It's a pretty dry, separated tone with a notch of mod.

The Balance or Sammy years' tone had a so much gain that I'm impressed he's able to play rhythm parts without turning down his volume knob or using his bradshaw to switch to a difference 'scene' or setting for back in those days. I'm not able to get the tap harmonics jumping off the guitar unless I'm using that EVH pickup and the gain is high. He reigns in the horsepower and/or his touch is so great that he's able to play so clean. Maybe he gates it. BTW....Your post has me slowing down YouTube vid's to figure out the leads in "Feel Your Love Tonight". I've always winged it but figured I'm probably "able" to play that one if I just memorize it.

Back
Top Bottom