Van Halen 1 Cygnus?

Cygnus has gotten SO good that all you need to do is take your favorite Plexi ( mine is the 6AC7 ! ) .... Dime EVERYTHING ..., engage the Fat switch & Bright Switch .... Next in the Power Supply Tab, lower the Variac ( 70% ) & increase the Supply Sag ( to taste ). Then in the Speaker Tab, I add just a little Speaker Compression approx. 3.00 ( to simulate a LOUD amp ) and finally in the Dynamics Tab I add a little Gain Enhancer 2.00 ....

After that you just need to audition your favorite Greenback Cab ( I look for one of the "brightest" ones ) pan that approx. -65 ( left ) ....

Finally ..., I LOVE the Sun Plate in Parallel w/ 100 Mix & 100% Input Gain panned approx. +65 ( right ) ....

Everything else to taste ( Phaser, Flanger, Echo, etc; ) .... Boom !! Almost instant VH I & VH II !!!!

Pretty much exactly what Eddie did back in the day ....

Good Luck !

Last edited:
@Burgs ....

Quoted from Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar .... "I'm not worthy ..., I'm not worthy" ! 👐

And, if it's the "Full Monty" V.H. you're after ..., I actually use a couple of OwnHammer cabs:

OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-00
OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-FRED ( -7.0 dB )
OH 412 MRBW Raw R-121-00 ( -10.0 dB ) - only if you don't get enough low end ....

I've got an Ash/Maple partscaster w/ a Bare Knuckle VH II ( A5 magnet / 8.9,K ) in it .... So, I recognize that might get a little too bright & brittle for some folks ! To blunt that ..., I also put an IR Player right before the AMP and load up James Santiago's IR of a EP-3 Preamp ....

Side Note: @Admin M@ - I've wish listed it a long time ago ..., but I SO wish we could get the EP-3 Pre-amp in the Drive Block ( the Chase Tone® Secret Preamp™ ) would be perfect ! The options we have now, just aren't the same !!!!

After that it's up to your guitar, hands & fingers !

Last edited:
@Burgs ....

..... hands & fingers !
I can't tell you how many smiles your generous contribution here has put on my face over the last two days. I am very grateful. Thank you! I think a little video is in order.

Re the EP-3 addition. I agree. Last week I had a chance to demo the mighty EP Drive from Jon at Very Good Amp Co. It's the best example of that preamp I've tried so far (Youtube has been kind to let me demo quite a few). I made a vid with it in front of my SV20H if you're interested. But my point is that I agree with you: there is something magical about the front end of those old echo machines. Anyway, I'm raving now... Thanks again, @R.D.!

Re the EP-3 addition. I agree. Last week I had a chance to demo the mighty EP Drive from Jon at Very Good Amp Co. It's the best example of that preamp I've tried so far (Youtube has been kind to let me demo quite a few). I made a vid with it in front of my SV20H if you're interested. But my point is that I agree with you: there is something magical about the front end of those old echo machines. Anyway, I'm raving now... Thanks again, @R.D.!

Awesome!!! Would you be able to Tone Match it?

Awesome!!! Would you be able to Tone Match it?
Normally, I'd say yes. Unfortunately, my position due to Covid is, I must sell everything I demo at the moment because it's my only form of income with which to support the family and mortgage payments. So it's sadly gone, I'm sorry. However, @R.D. has since shared with me an Echoplex-style IR Play block he's put together. It's great too. So it can be done.

I've got everything except that part 😅

"Dime" for the non English speakers:
  • A ten-cent coin
  • A small amount of money
  • A very attractive person

It already sounds great, though 👍
Everything at Max except for Level and Input Trim. So Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble and Presence - all at maximum. Input Trim 1.00. Level at around -12.0 dB. Use your guitar's volume knob to tame it. Something like that.

Normally, I'd say yes. Unfortunately, my position due to Covid is, I must sell everything I demo at the moment because it's my only form of income with which to support the family and mortgage payments. So it's sadly gone, I'm sorry. However, @R.D. has since shared with me an Echoplex-style IR Play block he's put together. It's great too. So it can be done.

Paging @R.D. :) Would you mind sharing some of this goodness?

I can take NO credit for the EP 3 ..., that was ALL James Santiago. It's up on Axe-Change and I've been using it almost since he posted it back in Oct. 2012

Just use the IR Player ( block ) and put it right in front of your "DIMED" ( BMT & P on 10 ;) ) Plexi and it's suddenly 1978 all over again.

All I'm doing is standing on the shoulders of the absolute GIANTS around here !

Attachments

• Echoplex TAPE.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 247
I can take NO credit for the EP 3 ..., that was ALL James Santiago. It's up on Axe-Change and I've been using it almost since he posted it back in Oct. 2012

Just use the IR Player ( block ) and put it right in front of your "DIMED" ( BMT & P on 10 ;) ) Plexi and it's suddenly 1978 all over again.

All I'm doing is standing on the shoulders of the absolute GIANTS around here! It's soo good!
Thank you, I have been using this! I thought there was a new version!

@Burgs !!!!

THANKS so much for the shout out ..., you dropped my name more times that I deserved ;) ....

I agree w/ your opinion on the OwnHammer Cabs ..., there's nothing wrong at all w/ the factory cabs, but the OH's just have "that something" that fits in this context a little better ( maybe it's the RAW ? ) ....

Anyway ..., you used my "base" and took it a lot further ! The cabinet panning change was brilliant and IMHO changes the feel as well as the sound ( more punchy & chewy ) ! I've already re-worked my preset and will be using this approach on a lot of other ones too !

I can't tell you how cool it was to hear something I had a hand in sound SO good under your fingers ! Really made my weekend !!!!

Thanks RD and Burgs, I spent the morning creating and playing this. It's actually the 1st preset that I've created from scratch.
I feel pretty silly and lazy, never have ventured into all the flexibility this device offers. Well the genies out of the bottle now.
RD, I owned this OH library by chance. Do you use these IR with other amps as well?

Back
Top Bottom