Anyone using the Axe in church worship?

On the recommendation from this thread, I tried the Suhr Badger 18 and 30. I settled on the 30 for the song I was programming at the time. I was previously using a Dr Z38 in that slot. The Suhr sounds more spongy and real feeling to me. I also tried the HotCat (Badcat model) for the first time. I usually set the master volumes to 9.00 which is like setting the real amp to 10. Then I go back to my gain and dial that in so I'm getting more power tube overdrive simulation on the sound before I need pre-amp tube distortion. Then I set the level of the amp to feed my effects loop gear properly. On the Bad Cat, with the master volume at 9, I only had to have the gain at 2.5 or 3 (can't remember) and I already had plenty of overdrive/distortion to play power chords. Kick on a Tube Screamer of some kind for leads and that's all you need. I saw a video on another forum post of a guy playing a bunch of Zepplin, using a model that sounded like an old Marshall, so I'm going to track that down as well. I'm using signal chains that have amp 1 and amp2 in parallel and feed cab 1 and cab 2, then combine back together. This gives me 4 amps and 4 cabs to choose from in a preset without having to leave that preset and interrupt the sound. I save a preset with the tempo, specific to the song I'm playing and I can remain inside that preset, again, changing between 4 available amps (and their cabs/microphones) if necessary to get as many options as you're ever going to need. Most of the songs of course could be done with one amp and cab. But this is just what works for me.

Great Thread!!! I have just moved up to the FX 2 from an Ultra. I had been playing at my church for over 2 years with the Ultra and have never had so many people comment on my guitar sound LOL as they call it!. I have an MFC-101 and have 2 Fender Showmaster guitars with Suhr Doug Aldridge pickups. About 4 months ago I was asked at a whims notice to play as we have to praise and worship teams. Of course I said yes but had to use a Roland GT100. It was unbelievable!! the amount of people at my church that went out of their way to tell me that the sound man at the FOH board made my guitar sound terrible!! LOL. Let this be a testimony that Fractal Audio is by far the best guitarist tool ever made!!! I mean I hated the tone as it was like playing through a transistor radio! but I would have never believed that so many in the pews would tell a difference in my sound when I played without my Axe!! Any ways,,, Any Axe FX used to praise and worship God, is the most for me as it allows me to express how I feel to God and Jesus Christ and bath in his Holy Spirit!! with sounds that nothing can copy or reproduce!! Thank you Fractal Audio and may God Bless you guys for such a great tool!!!

I bring my Axe II to play lead guitar or bass at my church. I always go direct to the mixer and use the church's Roland hearback system with in-ear-monitors. The only thing that I need to sync up with the sound guy on is my output level.

My first time using it, I had some negative feedback from the sound guy (he works sound with big shows during the week). He said it sounded like a Line6. But later he corrected himself and said, "I like your box. I was wrong about it. I just had to adjust the EQ a bit." For whatever reason, I always have to ride my output level way down at church or it clips (9:00 or less).

Last weekend, I had a small crowd of musicians gathered around who were asking me about my tone. Last weekend I did the entire set with a Plexi patch and used scenes to to add drive, delay and tremolo. It was awesome. Other times when we didn't have a keyboard player, I've used some of the crazy, ambient preset patches to create groove-loop type of effects ala David Crowder Band.

The only thing that I need to sync up with the sound guy on is my output level. For whatever reason, I always have to ride my output level way down at church or it clips (9:00 or less).

It took me awhile to establish a volume benchmark, that gave me the type of volume into a LOGIC track that I wanted, while using my effects loop for outboard gear. When I got the results I wanted for home recording levels, the sound guys at church told me I was killing them at the mixer, so I dial back my Global Output 1 and also the volume knob on the front panel. I have read in this forum, that the AXE outputs are hot, and some guys run the 1/4" outputs into direct boxes or something of that nature to throttle the output back. I just use the XLR's and turn down the output volume. Some of our campuses have digital boards and they are much more picky about the levels. At the same time, we have a very diverse cross-section of experience/inexperience at the mixers, and this is evident in the fact that I will use the same sounds from one week to the next, and the sound guy that week, will ask for more or less than the guy from the other week. I give them what they think they need, so they feel good inside...LOL.

Lincoln Brewster Axe II two patch

I've been using my Axe II since December and love it. We have a ILive so it gave me ability to double my input to the board so I can EQ my guitar separately from what they are doing for FOH. I have JH in ears and the sound was a little high endey until I did that. Attached is the patch I use for Lincoln Brewster. I play a 1988 Jem 777FP so the neck position is a Hum-bucker, so it may need some tweaking depending on what guitar your using. Keep in mind Lincoln utilizes is volume pot and pick-up selector constantly to adjust his tone. He also uses is neck pick-up the most. When I play rhythm my volume is at about 7. Please let me know how it sounds on your rig. I use 2 K12s for monitoring at home and at other paying gigs.

Attachments

• Lincoln's Tweed(2).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
I have been playing churches for over twenty years. My ex-wife convinced me to try out this little church at the time called CCV (Christ church of the valley) in Peoria AZ. When I started playing there there was maybe 800 people there. I passed the audition and within a month I was playing every other weekend. It was a great time as I was new to the process of course back then I was young and skinny. 15 years had passed and I was still playing every other weekend, we grew in that 15 years to almost 20,000 people, stupidly large if you ask me. we went from a high school theatre, to the actual premises in a large Tent, to finally a large 3,000 to 3,500 seat auditorium with huge jumbo tron monitors on both sides of the Humongous stage. For easter one year I even got to play the local 30,000 seat Jobing.com Arena, man I was a rockstar for that day. We'll I'll be honest I was starting to get a little freaked out by then as I became a little celebrity in town, because so many in my area went there. I got stopped at the grocery store, movie theatre etc. It was kind of hard to not notice me, I was there for so long and I was 50 ft high on the screen. So this is where I start to feel a little entitled, this is kind of what happens when you are famous nationally or locally, you kind of start expecting stuff, and stuff starting coming. I won't go into gory details but it was fun but also troubling.

A church to grow that big, will have its problems and this church was no exception. As it got larger the staff would keep getting recycled. I would have a new Worship leader every six months to a year. So dealing with changing of the guards was getting old. Now mind you I was still playing every weekend and some times a full month if the other guitar player was traveling or sick. Six services a weekend, crazy. I neve got my laundry done during those years. So in the process, I got divorced from my first wife, I took some time off to deal with that, seemed prudent at the time, then came back a month later playing every other weekend again.

So I meet my next wife doing the powerpoint for the song lyrics for the big screen, and at this time it was before we moved into the colosal building, that they are in now. Time passes and they just start to add more guitar players finally, as time went on more worship leader changes and this time a program manager change. He was basically managing the Youth area. We'll I knew my days were numbered as I was probably 42 or so and his cronies started filling the stage, which was fine, but slowly it took about a year, they started scheduling us older guys out.

So Next chapter started. I finally said they are not scheduling me as often and I'm a musician, this is what I do, so I quit. I started playing as many churches as would have me. I played every where south phoenix, north phoenix, central phoenix. It was great, I didn't have to follow church politics anymore. It would be a bidding war with dates (never got paid, doesn't see right to me), I would be scheduled every weekend at a different church and they loved having me. I did that for about a year and a half or so, then my wife started freaking out because I was gone so many weekends. Now remember, I was playing six services before to two services on a Sunday, to me that was way less. To her it was every weekend, so she won, so I just cut to one church that I thought had the spirit and the possible growth, as i kind of dug growing churches, it's fun.

So as of late, I play one church every other weekend. Low stress, I can feel like the mentor and help boot strap other musicians up, it's extremely enjoyable. So I have been at the bottom, to the top for a real long time and now back at the bottom. Crazy fun times.

So I started with a roland VG88, to a tonelab se, the big one, to a pod, x2, x3 to finally going with fractal back in 2010 I think with an Ultra to the Axe FX II, I got on the wait list the moment it was created.
Even though my playing improved over the years as I got better and learning music by ear and reading sheet music, I would say my learning Improved 10 fold once I started using the fractal gear. I can't say necessarily why , but I guess I would equate it to having a professional instrument like a real expensive guitar, you just start playing better faster.

So I'm apologizing after the fact that I took you on a long journey. I enjoy telling stories, and I have nothing to hide, except for the fact that I used to work on Nuclear missles and I used to build crappy Guitars in my garage.

Peace

Here is one of the songs from yesterday. I used the Suhr Badger 30 sim on the intro and verses. For the chorus, I engaged my real BB Plus overdrive in front of the amp. On the solo I switched to the HOT KITTY sim, which is a Bad Cat amp. Again, during the solo, I had my BB Plus engaged, but I turned it off after the solo and played to the end of the song with the HOT KITTY amp sim. We almost had an on-stage catastrophy because the drummer hit the loop start button twice, like a double tap. So I strummed the first chord on the downbeat, and then it played a second time. It's like the first measure was a measure of 5. But everyone heard it in our in-ears and adjusted. Whew.....I love playing to loops/click tracks because of all the extra stuff you can do, and because of how it keeps the band together when using in-ears and giving people the ability to create their own custom monitor mixes, where they might not mix enough of the other players into their phones, but then something like this (or something much worse) happens where we crash and burn and it makes me miss the simple old days.

http://snd.sc/ZuulDv

Last edited:
Yesterday I was playing for the Sunday PM service and I had both my acoustic and electric/axefx set up. For the 2nd song I swapped to the acoustic, while I had my Boss RC-2 feed the axefx some notes in the right key. The axefx was running a shimmer only patch taken from the "Bad" preset. Because the shimmer has no notes per say there is no timing to sync up, just a washy pad in the mix. Worked a treat.

Then the keyboard player turned to me and said "thats a really nice sound.... reeeaaally nice". The sound guy also queryed me... "so you're going to play acoustic AND electric at the same time..?".

It's a box of fun I tell you.

(The only downside of the shimmer patch as it stands is that it doesn't spill over into new patches, which can be jarring to say the least.)

I have had my Axe II since about May 2012. I've set it up, learned a little more, and set it up again. Yesterday I watched the Scott Peterson video from Axe-West which is available on YouTube. Taming the Monster. He doesn't say this in his video, but I learned this yesterday too - step one if you are plugging your guitar into the Axe and it is first in your signal chain, and you are not feeding the rear input 1's with a stereo left and right input - please go into the I/O menu and change the input to "left only" if you are using the rear input 1's. I had mine still set to L+R and if you have yours set that way, you will probably not be able to get the input lights to tickle the red when you are setting your input level for the digital to analog input, which is also found in the I/O menu. Watch Scott's video. Essentially you will learn how to set up unity gain for your unit. I run many pieces of gear through my AXE effects loop, and when I followed Scott's steps, I discovered my levels are WAAAAAYYYYY messed up. So, since I am not playing this weekend (HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE), I am going to go through my set up again and fix all the irregularities. Yes, I know that when version 10 is released, I will have to do a bit of this again, but it's okay, I enjoy this learning process. I always learn something when I go through my entire set up again to improve it. Another thing I discovered was that I had my effects send set to L+R instead of stereo, and by changing that setting, I have changed my entire gain structure of the signal running through my other gear, but it is going to sound so much better to me, to have the true stereo field when I want it.

I felt the same about so many worshippers...warms my heart. Anyways, I'd like to ask how the mfc works with your Ultra unit. I recently got the Ultra and would like to control it using the mfc. And Lincoln does have incredible tone doesnt he!

i am waiting for my ultra to come in.....meanwhile i use an eleven rack for worship. any tips, hints and presets you guys could point me to would be appreciated.

Singtall I also have some clean and crunchy ambient worship Dr Z stuff I can get you when I get home from the beach. Oh and some Lincoln brewster, but it has an ir you load that takes up one of the ultras 10.

Each week, I pull up presets for songs that I am going to play at church that weekend, and change the amp type, and then put them back, so that version 10 will take root. It is only worth doing that for songs I'm actually going to play. I won't bother going back through every preset to do this. Here's a clip of me playing along to the loop we will use for a Kristian Stanfill song tomorrow called MY REWARD. The loop we will hear in our in-ears will have a click, and that conductor voice you can hear if you listen closely.

https://soundcloud.com/rodney-zimmerman/my-reward-with-loop

Yep I've been using my Ultra in church worship for almost 4 years now. Started with firmware 3.17 or something... LOL. LOVE THE ULTRA!!!

Replaced my Dual Rectifier Solo head and 2x12 cab, 8 space rack..... I use it front of house with the powered FBT Verve 8. Used the FBT 8ma for years and that plastic enclosure works pretty great too. Just love the Verve wooden enclosure now. Small set up and killer tones/ effects. No problem getting enough volume even outdoor gigs with Blues Band and my 80's band outreach gigs. The Ultra is awesome.

BTW. I really miss the old AxeExchange. We Ultra/Standard dinosaur users need to upload more of our settings to share with each other. I'm gonna try to add more this summer with some free time.
Dave

I was using a feature I learned by dissecting one of Fremen's presets, with the Multi-delay on the main hook lead line, where the multi-delay sounds like a high pitched string machine layered onto my sound. It sounded loud enough at home, but as you can tell from this mix, I need to turn it up more prevalent to be correctly proportional to the main overdrive tone in this patch, and when playing with the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k7Gyl7Y_6c&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYuDWvr5J0G_35TOGSyj5iw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom