Anyone using the Axe in church worship?

Laskyman

Inspired
Just wondering how many of you all may be using the Axe in a worship setting- what are you using- Standard or Ultra? Did you come go Fractal by way of an amp, or did you use other modelers? Thoughts?
When I get an Axe, I will be using it n this capapcity- most likely running FOH...just interested in your experiences...

I play Worship every week.

I've used both the Standard and the Ultra. I currently run with the Ultra.

I came by Fractal from all sorts of gear - tube amps and modelers.

It's been a great 3.5 year run thus far. :D

I've been using an Ultra in worship for about 2 months. Kept it at home for awhile to get used to it and decide what FRFR to use (PR. K-10s). Love it.
As an added bonus I am extremely pleased with how well my T-5 on it's acoustic setting sounds thru it.
Various tube amps before Fractal, usually one for electric and one for acoustic. My one venture into modeling before wasn't a success.
-Michael

Used my Ultra, Liquid Foot Pro and Verve 8ma for a year and a half in Worship. Came from tube amps and pedal board.

This thing rocks for Worship. Get everything you want and need, including distorted tones and excellent delays at the lowest stage volumes, keeping the Worship Leader and Sound guy happy. No more placing mic'd tube amp offstage then being forced to share a monitor with another player.

I love it!

It's been just over 2 years for me and my Standard. About one week running it thru a tube power amp and 4x12 cab. The rest of the time I've gone FRFR. It does everything I want it to. Setup takes 5 minutes. Sound check sounds great every time. I also run my bass and acoustic thru it when they need me. I love it!

three times a week in three different churches for the last 18 months. direct to FOH, mostly i leave my Verve 12ma at home and use the onsite monitors... me likey.

I'm the Worship Pastor at my church and have been using the AxeFx Ultra direct for about 2 years now. I lead from electric guitar. Also have the MFC-101.

Before that I was using the Line 6 Vetta which I had since they first came out (around 2001 or something). Before that the original POD.

I love the AxeFx! I generally make a patch per song. I love the versatility of being able to go after any sound with different amp models and effects.

It definitely takes time to tweak (but I enjoy the process). However if you come from a simple amp and pedalboard background you could easily. just choose 1 or 2 amps and set them up with a few stomps.

Standard here for 2 years now, coming from a single channel tube amp with pedalboard. Great tone at lowish volumes and more usable sounds out of one box than I will ever use is what sold me on the Axe. I use it FRFR, which also opens up the possibility to play acoustic guitars thhrough the same setup which is a plus. It took me a while to tweak the sounds to sound good through FRFR though as it was a completely new approach for me.

I play Worship every week.

I've used both the Standard and the Ultra. I currently run with the Ultra.

I came by Fractal from all sorts of gear - tube amps and modelers.

It's been a great 3.5 year run thus far. :D

+ 2

Just that I dont play that often anymore(there are younger (more) talents)

Usually directly into PA

reading this post next time at comminium solo Ill give it a try

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/33637-setting-output-1-for-FRFR-and-output-2-for-power-amp-and-cabinet

Roland

Last edited:
It was the main reason I bought it. I grew tired of going through tube amp after tube amp and all the stuff one would use to bring that sound at low stage volumes with great FOH results. The thought of having to build or buy Iso cabs or put amps in another room didn't have any appeal ether.

The church I play in is fairly small 450 max, so FOH volume was an issue as well in fact we went direct with all the instruments and it made such a huge difference with the quality of the stage and FOH sound everyone was extremely happy including my self. I have been running with a standard for 3+ years and find it will do just about everything you could ask for unless your looking for something really outlandish.

After some back and forth comparing, I switched the Axe (Ultra) as primary setup for worship almost 3 years ago, at least when there is a good PA to plug into, which is usually the case. I think the Standard Axe would do everything I need too, but the extra features in the Ultra are nice to play with.

Prior to Axe, I played weekly using various preamps with good success - Triaxis, JMP-1, and Studio Pre. You can run using the record outs, add a bit of eq, and they sound pretty darn good, or I still run them with a 2/50/2 now and then when the PA is limited. I can get some musical qualities I prefer with these that still elude me with the Axe. Then again the Axe has some unique musical qualities of its own, just different. The Axe is usually just more all-around flexible and easy to use when you have a good PA.

I've also experimented with various modelers including POD, GNX, and even the relatively new GSP1101. These can work fine for background rhythm work, but the Axe is much better. This is particularly true for single note stuff in the higher register - good test for any modeler. I would actually prefer my Triaxis, JMP-1 or Studio Pre over these other modelers. These other modelers can be good when someone needs something quick to plug into - pre-dialed in.

Prior to all this technology, I used Marshall and Peavey tube amps mainly. I still keep some of this stuff. I fired up my DSL100 just yesterday trying to dial in my updated firmware in the Axe. Back in the 80's I mostly used an overdrive pedal into various tube amps. The big new technology for me back then was a GP-8. This was way before I played worship. While still a great reference, the problem with the traditional setup is they can be a bit much for worship imo and there are the volume and stage hassles.

As a side note, there was a recent discussion about using a DI box if you pick up the Axe. I did not chime in on that, but my experience is that a DI box can be useful. The XLR outs on the Axe are fairly hot. While many mixing boards can take it (don't overdrive), there are also many boards where the sound guy has to really reduce his levels. He may be working in the lowest range of his inputs and level controls and this can give him less flexibility and less smooth range of control. Usually you want to start work in the middle range of any pot or control.

If your team does not already have extra DIs, you may want to consider picking up one for your tool kit for those situations.

Used my Standard in church this morning! Really a great fit for all things modern sounding in praise and worship music. It has the Vox/U2 covered (as we all know) but can do straight up rock/blues/jazzier tones as well.

I went for something a bit different this morning. I used a couple of analog OD pedals into my Standard today. Chain was GTR-Ernie Ball Volume Pedal-Tuner-Wampler Plexi Drive, Hermida Zendrive -Axe-FX, Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp - Mesa 212 Rectifier cabinet. Mic'd with a Senheiser e609. I was pretty happy with the tone as the unit takes OD pedals well. YMMV. Also, the IR's sound great for direct use as well.

I do recommend a DI as the direct outs of the Axe-FX are pretty hot to the board. I agree with the prior post.
Best of luck!

I play at a medium sized (~2000 member church). We do 4 service a weekend. I've been playing the Axe-fx for ~ 3 years now (I think). It is great for worship music.

You don't need a DI, you can just turn the output 1 volume down or go into a line level input on the board.

I've played through and have owned/own quite a few other modelers. Nothing tops the Axe-fx in overall quality IMO. I also own a lot of amps and a lot of pedals and effects. The axe-fx is still my go to tone producing unit.

It's fantastic to see so many Praise and Worshippers here.

I've been using the Ultra / MFC-101 since the MFC dropped a few months ago.

It has been a great experience. While I'm still tweaking, I'm building a nice library of tones to go along with each set.

Before the Axe I was using either the church amps, various Fenders and a VOX AC30, or my Mesa Mark V with pedals.

The AxeFx is just easier, more consistent, and way more flexible.

I would love to hear some of the patches you P&W folks are using for Lincoln Brewster or Hillsong tunes.

I just started mixing cab impulse responses and I'm playing with Scott Peterson's EQ revelation and the possibilities just got even more ridiculous.

I'm pretty new to the Axe and lead worship in a smaller church of ~500. I was using a GT-Pro with my T-5 and 810ce. I've really enjoyed getting up to speed with the Axe and am finding some nice tones. I have yet to use it live but will bring that out in 2 weeks so we'll see how it goes. Going FOH with a K12 is going to make stage volume manageable. I'll report back as well as ask some questions as I go forward. I agree, it is good to see so many using it for worship!

There are aton of us here using it it in a worship setting. I was a hired gun playing with whom ever needed me but now I have settled down into a small church with less than 100 peeps.
Great stuff.

Nice to see so many people here using good tools for good works! That is pretty cool! I have been debating the AXE for a couple years- been using modelers for a long time- but in church, I use my full rig (see signature). I love my amp- actually, I really love my whole rig- it has been pieced together over the last few years, and I only really play out in worship environments or as a part of one of many contemporary christian rock projects- and it is a real blessing to have. Sounds killer! I have always been intrigued by a LEGIT all-in-one tone machine, and I want to believe that the AXE is it, but it is tough having to "part out" gear that I *know* is great, for a virtually "unknown" piece of gear.
So, my plan moving forward is to get AT LEAST a Standard within the next 2 months- get to know it, and try to incorporate it 4CM with my amp- if that works out as planned (A Standard alone should be able to do almost ANYTHING my current board can do aside a couple Eventide algos), then I can turn over other gear on my board (without regret) and also use it as my late night or recording kit. Should it grow on me even more, well, I dont plan on selling my Mesa right away...but I am not opposed to bring a small rack and a FRFR K10 or K12 to church or out each week! My Mesa is a brutal 90#'s.....
Anyways- Thanks for all chiming in! Be Blessed-

Hey Laskyman,

Read your comments from the boogie forums (i think). Recognize your gear and name. And had the same thoughts going through my head. ;)

About 2 months ago i was in the same position as you. Debating wether to get an axefx. But i live in New Zealand so i couldn't quite test drive it.

I have a Dual Recto and 2x12 recto cab, gmajor, + pedal board including rats to timmys to analog delays. But my main tone came just from my recto. It was MY tone and i was convinced that a modeler would never rid me of my tubes.

The reason i got my axefx was for playing in church and recording demos easily.
Since then I have only turned my recto on to compare it to the axe.

I was planning on running my Axe through my carvin TS100 into my 2X12 but i find myself running through my studio monitors and at church i find myself running FOH with IEM or a fold-back.

I think the AxeFX will most certainly replace my amp and most effects.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom