Anyone using Speaker Compression?

For a long time it was at 3 on my all channels (5153 - Band Commander). After seeing this thread, I tried them to zero. I think it is better.

I was using it in one or two of the earlier Cygnus betas (turning it up a bit) and seemed to impact a few of my presets. But recently been leaving it as is b/c I wasn’t hearing/feeling as big a difference.

• output mode to SS PA + cab
I found this setting once. And I'll be damned if I can find it now. And I remember being very confused as to how it works.

I ctrl-F on the user guide 'output mode' and I got nothing.

I can't find it on Axe-Edit either.

This seems like the kind of setting I should be very hip to. Any help would be appreciated.

I found this setting once. And I'll be damned if I can find it now. And I remember being very confused as to how it works.

I ctrl-F on the user guide 'output mode' and I got nothing.

I can't find it on Axe-Edit either.

This seems like the kind of setting I should be very hip to. Any help would be appreciated.

Amp Block>Speaker Tab>Output Mode

On FW v 19.02, Axe Edit v 1.10.09

I used to use it a lot but with the new modeling I'm finding I keep turning it way down or off. I'm thinking of making the default value 0.
I've used it and… it was nice a while ago, but I agree with you, that with all the other changes, I don't need it unless I want to model the sound of an amp pushing a cabinet so hard the speaker is spitting its guts out. And, yeah, there's a time for that, like after I turned on chorusing and blew my wad with the wah, but, well, I'm more about dynamics and reeeefinement these days.

Cliff, @FractalAudio, the modeling is seriously good. Earlier today I was working on some presets, and, honestly… I think I much prefer using my Fractals over my tube amps and pedal board. That's a serious concession but I like how the current FX3 firmware sounds, and I want to see it on the FM9 and FM3. Slide it into place on those and I'll have to make some major life decisions.

Last edited:
Amp Block>Speaker Tab>Output Mode

On FW v 19.02, Axe Edit v 1.10.09
Thanks!

I'm illiterate, I cannot find the details of this parm in the user guide. I apologize for my stupidity. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I found it. to any other fellow illiterates..its under 'the advanced page' of the amp block.

Edit2: I don't hear a difference. What should I hear?

Last edited:
I still use it quite a lot - I think many of the more old school guitar sounds are impossible to re-create without it. Small Fender combos on the edge of explosion and Vox AC30 with a hard-driven Celestion Blue. Even a plexi with a single 4x12 with greenbacks will produce quite a bit of speaker distortion and some speaker compression.

I still think, it is one of the least explored parts of modelling the entire guitar signal chain. An IR does a great job of capturing the frequency and time characteristics of a cab and room, but it is incapable of capturing dynamics such as distortion or compression. Fractal does a great job at modelling these things, but it is still a generic one size fits all algorithm. I would think, you needed algorithms with different characteristics to model the dynamic behaviour of Greenbacks and Blues.

Speaker Compression is legitimately a more vintage sound. Early Bluesbreaker 18watt sounds require speaker compression. Early Cream tones benefit from it also. It even reaches out toward early ZZ Top. Lots of those greasy swampy blues are built around it. I think it is a great tone. I only wish I didn't have to sacrifice dynamics, punchiness and pick-attack/onset-transients for it. But, sometimes it is worth it. And sometimes it fits. Speaker compression is definitely part of the tone palette.

I have to agree with the following:

I think many of the more old school guitar sounds are impossible to re-create without it.

I think, it is an important part of some sounds. Celestion Blues in an AC30 on full tilt compress quite a lot. Also the small old Fender amps with AlNiCo speakers can be fantastic when they are driven to large amounts of speaker compression.

However, Speaker compression is not a major feature for most modern sounds. Especially, when "the spirit of the age" wants its crunch extra-crunchy. And, post-SRV blues has brought more emphasis on tight picking dynamics. Speaker compression is not as prominent in newer speakers or rigs. And, most modern players want a tighter, more modern, sound. Speaker Compression is just not that in line with current sounds.

Also, as amp models keep becoming more and more organic and complex, speaker compression is no longer being used as a supplement to an amp model's complexity.

I still use Speaker Compression.
I like tighter sounds; High-Voltage, low-to-zero PI Bias Excursion, Hot Bias, Hard Power Tubes and Clean OT's.
But, I still use Speaker Compression for some of my more unique and more vintage preset sounds.

Back
Top Bottom