Anyone using Speaker Compression?

Without it, some presets can be a little "too precise" or sterile. Sometimes dialing in a little bit of "imperfection" is just what you need. I want to say I use a little bit of speaker compression in about 50% of my presets. But with the III, I have been trending to using it less than I did on the AX8.

I audition speaker compression on every preset I make. I use it approximately on one of every ten presets, rarely going over 3. Zero default is great.

I didn't before but with cab resonance on 200% and Xformer low/high on 50/15k Hz and speaker compression on 10 it sounds really sproingy

I'd never touched speaker compression until about FW 10, and even then I just played around with it in a few presets. I'd say defaulting to zero would work for me.

I had to go look but, yes. My recto presets are all set to 1 and after some experimenting I still preferred it that way.

Never use it on my presets. Lately I’ve been lowering it to 0 on my most used purchased presets.

In my opinion, Whether or not the Speaker Compression default should be 0 or not, depends on what is closest to authentic... Like, if you take a Dual rectifier, with it's typical Cab, with the typical resonance curve for that cab, how much does the speaker compress? The speaker compression should be set to that, by default.

Just strike it or set its default to zero.

I just went through my main presets and the default on all of them was 1 and on a couple of them it was 2.
I found I liked every one better when I set it to 0. So I vote for setting the default to 0.

Speaker compression should be set like it behaves in real life, and having the possibility to adjust to taste is a plus. IMHO.

In my opinion, Whether or not the Speaker Compression default should be 0 or not, depends on what is closest to authentic... Like, if you take a Dual rectifier, with it's typical Cab, with the typical resonance curve for that cab, how much does the speaker compress? The speaker compression should be set to that, by default.
+1 I think this is the most reasonable course of action.

Whether or not the Speaker Compression default should be 0 or not, depends on what is closest to authentic
Speaker compression should be set like it behaves in real life, and having the possibility to adjust to taste is a plus.
+1 I think this is the most reasonable course of action.

No simple single setting really because:
(1) In real life it nonlinearly depends on actual speaker volume (SPLs)
(2) For AF users whether it is "authentic" depends on use case: direct recording, frfr monitors, frfr cab, or through guitar cab

From a design standpoint it might make sense to logically decouple "speaker compr/compl/drive" from the AMP (e.g. new SPK block) which then could have it's own non-linear parameters set up, potentially with modifiers/controllers or side chains. That would be a big undertaking though.

Back
Top Bottom