Anyone still using a tube amp?

Is it possible to use your own IRs with the H&K
No, unlike Revv amps for example, there's no built-in IR capability - just the RedBox options which are kind of like IRs but in a different format. Sometimes I disable RedBox and apply IRs from Axfx to the H+K output.

if you compare the sound with the FM3/AXEIII, is it still as good like the FAS sound on low volume?
Hard to compare as there is no H+K amp model or RedBox IR models in Axfx - It has its own character within the zone of a clean/hard rock amp - the hi-end is a bit on the bright-harsh side. I use it mostly to drive Axfx models into a real tube power section + open back cab, but sometimes run it as a full amp just for something different.

No, unlike Revv amps for example, there's no built-in IR capability - just the RedBox options which are kind of like IRs but in a different format. Sometimes I disable RedBox and apply IRs from Axfx to the H+K output.

Hard to compare as there is no H+K amp model or RedBox IR models in Axfx - It has its own character within the zone of a clean/hard rock amp - the hi-end is a bit on the bright-harsh side. I use it mostly to drive Axfx models into a real tube power section + open back cab, but sometimes run it as a full amp just for something different.
Very interesting use cases, but it sounds like it's mostly your power amp for AXEfx with a real cab.
If you need to decide between AXEfx+SoldStateAmp+FRFR or H&K+cab, what would you take?

In past I used two 4x12 cabs in parallel for a fuller tone. The difference between 4x12 and 2x12 was minimal. Well, a 4x12 is more than enough for classic amps. With AXEfx this is no topic anymore ... great!

Very interesting use cases, but it sounds like it's mostly your power amp for AXEfx with a real cab.
If you need to decide between AXEfx+SoldStateAmp+FRFR or H&K+cab, what would you take?
I have Matrix GT1000 into FR or Mesa112 closed bk cabs - imo this is "better" given Axfx accuracy tranlates best through power amps with low coloration. The H+K p.a. can't facilitate the same accuracy due to its coloration, but the real power tubes add a certain "something", so I have it and a Blackstar tube amp to drive a couple of nice open back cabs I have + keeping a toe in the traditional tube amp world for interest. Would be cool to swap Matrix/H+K for Fryette Lxii/Revv G20 but I need to maintain some semblance of sanity as basement hacker that really needs to focus most on playing technique - not gear.

Last edited:
I sold all my tube amps since getting the FM9. But lately I've been thinking about getting another tube amp. Does anyone still use tube amps now and then, or do most just use their Fractal?
Yes, tube amps are too much fun, its nonsense to ditch them for a digital unit, unless its a financial issue or your amp brand its Bugera!

Hell, even. digital amp was more fun, I giggled with a Line6 Flextone for some time and even when I had the POD I still preferred the amp like interaction of the digital Flextone amp.

So I’m pretty sure the Axe model is the 120 Mk3 Rev A amp. Which I owned before trading for a Bogner and then missing that amp enough that I decided to get a G50. The G50 is a lot more pissed off. It reminds me of a Mark IV Mesa amp in Pentode/Midgain/Full power. The axe model isn’t worlds apart.

How are the Clean and Green channels on that amp? I'm strongly considering one...

My favorite channel of the two Revvs I've owned was the green channel, which I did not expect. I'm a high-gain guy all day, and I enjoy that one the most. The clean channel on the G50 is even better than on the 120Mk3 Rev A. I'm not sure how they did it, but it's far from boring now. I like how it’s not a massive amp and it gets plenty loud. It’s also a very pissed off purple channel. Haven’t bothered trying a boost with it yet but it doesn’t need it.

My favorite channel of the two Revvs I've owned was the green channel, which I did not expect. I'm a high-gain guy all day, and I enjoy that one the most. The clean channel on the G50 is even better than on the 120Mk3 Rev A. I'm not sure how they did it, but it's far from boring now. I like how it’s not a massive amp and it gets plenty loud. It’s also a very pissed off purple channel. Haven’t bothered trying a boost with it yet but it doesn’t need it.

Well I'm sold. I've been spending too much time on computers with work lately and I feel like it is starting to impact my enjoyment of the AxeFX. Definitely not abandoning Fractal but want to dip my toes back into something a bit more plug-and-play as an option on those days I just can't look at a screen anymore...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Well I'm sold. I've been spending too much time on computers with work lately and I feel like it is starting to impact my enjoyment of the AxeFX. Definitely not abandoning Fractal but want to dip my toes back into something a bit more plug-and-play as an option on those days I just can't look at a screen anymore...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Be like me. Never play your Fractal through a computer. I only hook up for updates or occasionally downloading a preset.

Back
Top Bottom