Anyone have a good memory man patch?

EricMC

I would love to get a memory man sounding delay, anybody have a good one? Also, does the axe have a vibrato effect to be able to put on the delay trails?

Thanks!

awesome, that helped alot! Still wondering if the axe has a vibrato setting at all? (not necessarily on the delays, just an effects block that does vibrato)

schecterc1lh said:
awesome, that helped alot! Still wondering if the axe has a vibrato setting at all? (not necessarily on the delays, just an effects block that does vibrato)

Just to be clear (Ever since Fender mislabeled their amps people confuse these two.. me included)
I assume when you say Vibrato you mean pitch up and down not Tremolo (volume up and down)

If so you can do it with the PITCH block.
Choose DETUNE mode and attach an LFO controller to the VOICE 1 DETUNE
Adjust the slope to control the depth, adjust the RATE in the CONTROL menu (push control button on the AXE-FX) to control the frequency.

And of course you could put the DELAY in parallel setup and put the PITCH right after it
to have the VIBRATO on the Delay returns only if you wish to do so.

EDIT
Looks like you don't have to do all this. :oops:
There are 2 LFO's in the Delay block, I never explored these but I believe
you can do the same thing right there.

;)

AndrewSimon said:
schecterc1lh said:

Just to be clear (Ever since Fender mislabeled their amps people confuse these two.. me included)
I assume when you say Vibrato you mean pitch up and down not Tremolo (volume up and down)

If so you can do it with the PITCH block.
Choose DETUNE mode and attach an LFO controller to the VOICE 1 DETUNE
Adjust the slope to control the depth, adjust the RATE in the CONTROL menu (push control button on the AXE-FX) to control the frequency.

And of course you could put the DELAY in parallel setup and put the PITCH right after it
to have the VIBRATO on the Delay returns only if you wish to do so.

EDIT
Looks like you don't have to do all this. :oops:
There are 2 LFO's in the Delay block, I never explored these but I believe
you can do the same thing right there.

;)
awesome, i meant the pitch up and down, and you delivered! thanks alot!!!

Okay, how do i make it apply to only the trails? i have been setting it up like in the wiki, and it is on the entire time, not just the repeats. also, how do i attack a controller to a block? (im new to my axe-fx lol) thanks again for you help!

Put the delay in parallel to the dry tone and make the delay block 100% wet, but adjust the level to mix it in. This should keep your initial tone clean from vibrato.

So make sure when it is in parallel, you are running a shunt alongside and join it back up to the original line of shunts after the delay.

TimmyM

Vibrato is chorus with the mix at 100%.

If you want vibrato on the delay trails only simply use the built-in LFO's in the delay block itself.

You guys are making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

FractalAudio said:

If you want vibrato on the delay trails only simply use the built-in LFO's in the delay block itself.

haha, i am new to this whole idea! I am assuming that using the LFO on the delay block, i should use the SINE setting?

schecterc1lh said:
FractalAudio said:

haha, i am new to this whole idea! I am assuming that using the LFO on the delay block, i should use the SINE setting?

Maybe. If you're trying to replicate the Acme Vibrato Pedal you should use whatever it does. Otherwise, there are only eight types of LFO*. Try them all and use whichever you like.

*There are nine in the list, but one of them is "Random", which I'd assume means it just picks one of the other eight.

Edit: Haha, I'm an idiot. Forgot that you were specifically asking about the Memory Man. I'll see if I can figure which LFO type it uses.

FractalAudio said:

I just tried the Chorus... but I prefer to use the PITCH.
There is more control available over the Vibrato.
Setting up the slope/start/end I can get exactly what I want.

;)

schecterc1lh said:

Based on the similarities between the DMM schematic's LFO section, and a triangle LFO, I'd say the DMM uses a triangle wave. It's just a guess, though. I'm not schooled in the ways of reading schematics -- they just look pretty similar to me.

I didn't want to post a link to the schematic in case it's against forum rules, but it's pretty easy to find.

TheOtherDave said:
schecterc1lh said:

Based on the similarities between the DMM schematic's LFO section, and a triangle LFO, I'd say the DMM uses a triangle wave. It's just a guess, though. I'm not schooled in the ways of reading schematics -- they just look pretty similar to me.

I didn't want to post a link to the schematic in case it's against forum rules, but it's pretty easy to find.

awesome! thanks for the info!

TheOtherDave said:
Otherwise, there are only eight types of LFO*. Try them all and use whichever you like.

*There are nine in the list, but one of them is "Random", which I'd assume means it just picks one of the other eight.

Actually, Random is a randomly-shaped waveform, not a randomly-selected waveform, ie it wanders up and down haphazardly rather than following a cyclic pattern like the others.

I'm pretty sure the DMM uses a triangle LFO.

One of the tricks when using a triangle LFO is to set the LFO phase to 180*. The result is an almost imperceptible modulation since pitch shift is the first derivative of the delay time. So one side is a constant pitch down and the other side is a constant pitch up until the waveform changes direction and then they reverse. I believe this is the part of the Roland chorus sound.

FractalAudio said:
I'm pretty sure the DMM uses a triangle LFO.

One of the tricks when using a triangle LFO is to set the LFO phase to 180*. The result is an almost imperceptible modulation since pitch shift is the first derivative of the delay time. So one side is a constant pitch down and the other side is a constant pitch up until the waveform changes direction and then they reverse. I believe this is the part of the Roland chorus sound.

Won't that cause problems in mono? I'm a little clueless on the finer points of how these things work, but I was under the impression that playing with LFO phase in mono will result in phase cancellations.

D

The LFOs are 180 degrees out of phase, not the audio signal being modulated by them. The LFOs are not summed together before modulation. They each modulate an independant signal.

Back
Top Bottom