Anyone ever have random preset changes at a show?

Yes, I was having this issue a lot for a while. I would be in the middle of a song and boom my preset would just change randomly on its own with no rhyme or reason. At first I thought maybe I hit something etc but it started happening so often and while I was just sitting playing touching nothing that I new it was system related. I posted the issue on here but had no luck. I have since updated my MFC, and of course new firmware and Axe-edit updates and have not had it happen in a long time. I am thinking somehow something got corrupted on 1 of the 3 devices/software that was fixed thru my updates.

Ah ok, I was wondering if it could be related to a cable issue but I'm not so sure anymore. Regardless, have you tried a different midi cable just to rule out the possibility?
If it ever happens again my first attempt at a solution will mos def be a midi cable switch.

Yes, I was having this issue a lot for a while. I would be in the middle of a song and boom my preset would just change randomly on its own with no rhyme or reason. At first I thought maybe I hit something etc but it started happening so often and while I was just sitting playing touching nothing that I new it was system related. I posted the issue on here but had no luck. I have since updated my MFC, and of course new firmware and Axe-edit updates and have not had it happen in a long time. I am thinking somehow something got corrupted on 1 of the 3 devices/software that was fixed thru my updates.
Will bear this in mind. I have certainly had prior problems get resolved with FW updates.

If it ever happens again my first attempt at a solution will mos def be a midi cable switch.

Definitely, those cables are normally not built to last gigging so I used to keep a spare as standard.

Apologies I only realised after I asked my question that you had already mentioned it was midi in your OP. :)

Definitely, those cables are normally not built to last gigging so I used to keep a spare as standard.

Apologies I only realised after I asked my question that you had already mentioned it was midi in your OP. :)
No apologies necessary, it's difficult to catch everything in a thread.

happened to me once. next adjacent preset, so i assume it was the value dial. i'm using a reasonably new and good quality midi cable.

Happend to me quite a few times, I posted about it. Has not happened lately though..... But on some gigs the axe would randomly jump to high numbered presets going from 001 to 300 etc etc.

Happened to me - was a loose switch on the MFC and it also needed a "Reset" - problem went away permanently (so far). FAS tech support was all over it, asap! Great support.

This has happened to me at least 10 times over the last year. Most recently, while I was in the middle of an important audition for a tribute band. I have written 2 posts about this issue in the last year. It is a serious issue, and has caused me some real embarrassment. I'll describe the issue with as much detail as I can.

What happens is my preset will randomly jump WAY up the list, from like #3, to # 330. I have not observed a pattern of a consistent jump (honestly, when it happens, it's always a panic, and there is no time to take notes). I have had it happen when connected to my Mac, and when not connected, as it was last week.

I thought it might have been caused by accidental "double button" presses, such as hitting my page up button and a scene button together. As a result, I constructed some simple barriers for my MFC switches out of PVC. I put a piece of 1/4" PVC pipe just taller than the switch on the EDIT switch to prevent accidental steps (silicone glued in on- and painted it black). Then, I put a short "wall" of plexiglass (again with silicone glue) between the up/down row and the presets/scenes row. This way, I have to deliberately try to hit the up switch, and I can't hit it and scene 5 at the same time. I thought this cured the issue. But... nope.

I now think it's a FASLink problem. I have found that some XLR cables do not fit snug or secure in the socket on the MFC. In fact, many do not, and some inexpensive cables are so loose they can actually just fall out! (made me wonder if my jack is damaged.) You need a very robust and slightly "heavy" connector. If the FASLink wiggles at all (which happens with any of the store brand XLRs I've gotten at Guitar Center or Sweetwater) you can have some problems. I've had loss of power, Name Timeout's, and this random jumping issue, and I think it has to be the connector. I have switched to a Mogami cable with a Neutrik connector, and it feels pretty secure. The problem is I just don't trust this setup right now. At the audition, I moved my pedal board about a foot. I slide it over with my foot. When I looked at the preset, it had jumped. That speaks to me that it was the FASLink connection that caused it. I'm actually considering trying a midi cable instead, or the Ethernet. I can't be certain what the issue is, but I know I have one, and it's scary. If this happens at the wrong time in a big show, it's going to be a total train wreck.

I'm so nervous about it, that before the next gig, I'm going to back up my presets, then copy my "basic amp and pedalboard" main preset into every location from #50 on up. I'll store my show presets in the first 50, and then one basic "survival" preset on the rest of the unit. That way, if the unthinkable happens, at least I won't end up on Poltergeist Pig or some Crystal Caverns preset in the middle of a Journey solo. I'll just stomp on a scene button for rhythm or lead and make due.

Some important notes about my set up:
I use a bank size of "0". I use bank up to move to the next preset.
One preset per song.
My MFC is connected by FASLink via a custom interface panel made by VAFAM Sound. I don't suspect an issue here, but I'm not ruling it out either.
My MFC is (very) securely mounted to a heavy 3d box type pedal board. All cables are routed inside the box and securely fastened.
There are 2 connections though, and I am considering the possibility of having to go straight from the back of the AXE to the MFC with a HQ cable.

Last edited:
I'm sure that my vocalist hit my jog dial by accident, (or stepped on my midi cable) - but last night I had a phantom preset change to a preset that definitely is NOT tied to a footswitch. It is, however, a preset that was numerically close to the preset I was on: this is why I suspect a midi cable or jog dial snafu.

Not worried, just curious as to whether anyone else has had this happen.

When an issue like this pops up or any band member makes a mistake, always stop and look at the drummer or the sound guy. Everyone will automatically assume it was their fault. :)

This has happened to me at least 10 times over the last year. Most recently, while I was in the middle of an important audition for a tribute band. I have written 2 posts about this issue in the last year. It is a serious issue, and has caused me some real embarrassment. I'll describe the issue with as much detail as I can.

What happens is my preset will randomly jump WAY up the list, from like #3, to # 330. I have not observed a pattern of a consistent jump (honestly, when it happens, it's always a panic, and there is no time to take notes). I have had it happen when connected to my Mac, and when not connected, as it was last week.

I thought it might have been caused by accidental "double button" presses, such as hitting my page up button and a scene button together. As a result, I constructed some simple barriers for my MFC switches out of PVC. I put a piece of 1/4" PVC pipe just taller than the switch on the EDIT switch to prevent accidental steps (silicone glued in on- and painted it black). Then, I put a short "wall" of plexiglass (again with silicone glue) between the up/down row and the presets/scenes row. This way, I have to deliberately try to hit the up switch, and I can't hit it and scene 5 at the same time. I thought this cured the issue. But... nope.

I now think it's a FASLink problem. I have found that some XLR cables do not fit snug or secure in the socket on the MFC. In fact, many do not, and some inexpensive cables are so loose they can actually just fall out! (made me wonder if my jack is damaged.) You need a very robust and slightly "heavy" connector. If the FASLink wiggles at all (which happens with any of the store brand XLRs I've gotten at Guitar Center or Sweetwater) you can have some problems. I've had loss of power, Name Timeout's, and this random jumping issue, and I think it has to be the connector. I have switched to a Mogami cable with a Neutrik connector, and it feels pretty secure. The problem is I just don't trust this setup right now. At the audition, I moved my pedal board about a foot. I slide it over with my foot. When I looked at the preset, it had jumped. That speaks to me that it was the FASLink connection that caused it. I'm actually considering trying a midi cable instead, or the Ethernet. I can't be certain what the issue is, but I know I have one, and it's scary. If this happens at the wrong time in a big show, it's going to be a total train wreck.

I'm so nervous about it, that before the next gig, I'm going to back up my presets, then copy my "basic amp and pedalboard" main preset into every location from #50 on up. I'll store my show presets in the first 50, and then one basic "survival" preset on the rest of the unit. That way, if the unthinkable happens, at least I won't end up on Poltergeist Pig or some Crystal Caverns preset in the middle of a Journey solo. I'll just stomp on a scene button for rhythm or lead and make due.

One preset per song.
My MFC is connected by FASLink via a custom interface panel made by VAFAM Sound. I don't suspect an issue here, but I'm not ruling it out either.
My MFC is (very) securely mounted to a heavy 3d box type pedal board. All cables are routed inside the box and securely fastened.
There are 2 connections though, and I am considering the possibility of having to go straight from the back of the AXE to the MFC with a HQ cable.
That sounds like a lot of stress, hope it works out!

The "Poltergeist Pig" comment made me laugh.. man that would be awful.

I've been having some issues, I'm sure it's my fault though, maybe not. I'll loop an acoustic part (Nutshell) and then solo over the ending, and for some reason when I stop the loop, and song is done switch patch and the acoustic loop will start playing again. I have to run over to the rack and shut it off... uggh.

I'm sure that my vocalist hit my jog dial by accident, (or stepped on my midi cable) - but last night I had a phantom preset change to a preset that definitely is NOT tied to a footswitch. It is, however, a preset that was numerically close to the preset I was on: this is why I suspect a midi cable or jog dial snafu.

Not worried, just curious as to whether anyone else has had this happen.

I have never had that happen.

I was having the same issue with my XLR not clicking into place when trying to connect to the MFC. Initially, I thought the cable was just made too short and ordered another brand, but the same issue occurred. I looked into the FAS link input on the back of the MFC and noticed the metal circular clip was pushed back, making it impossible for the XLR to hook into place. I got a small pokey tool and pushed it back towards the input opening and voila, XLR now clicks into place.

I don't think I was having any issues with my presets randomly changing before this, but I have not had any issues since fixing the input on the MFC either.

Hope that helps.

Never ever had any such problem, steady as a rock (using FCB and self welded midi cable) even when doing the mexican tapdance on the cable.
What did happen once is missing a loop start button and then accidentally actionning it a bit later.....makes even the best song a fucking mess in front of any audience :):D

Had it happen at a rehearsal exactly one time. It jumped from 379 to somewhere in the 100s, which as a bass player, sounded like muddied crap. No one was around the rack, and I didn't even have my MFC hooked up. Never happened before or since.

One preset per song.

This is also my problem exactly....and unfortunately it has happend to me during a show. To get back to the original preset I have to use the rotary control on the Axe as the MFC-101 is too slow to do this.
I now do not change presets during a show (though I use scenes) as I can not take the chance as this has happened a few times.

This is also my problem exactly....and unfortunately it has happend to me during a show. To get back to the original preset I have to use the rotary control on the Axe as the MFC-101 is too slow to do this.
I now do not change presets during a show (though I use scenes) as I can not take the chance as this has happened a few times.

Andy, how are you connected? Are you using FASLink, and or do you have anything in-between the AXE and the MFC (such as, I have the VAFAM panel). There must be something common that causes this. I want to know that it's not internal, and that I can prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom