Anthrax "Among The Living" Tone Match

Dave Z

Inspired
Here's my tone match patch for Anthrax "Among The Living" album.

Some parts of my playing seem to have a static sound in the clip - more than likely due to recording with my A/C on.

Enjoy!

Dave Z

Attachments

• ANTHRAX AMONG TM.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 118
thanks for sharing! one of the greatest of the great thrash albums and sounds.
did you have an iso track or did you use the album clip you played?
that album is dry, especially for the era (when everything had arena-reverb), but it is multi-tracked and it may be throwing the matching a bit.
its close but I sense it could be closer, some of that will be other details besides the amp of course!

many thanks! I will play with this later this week for sure.

I was seriously going to try this in the next couple days. Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't find my CD for this album, so I used an mp3 instead - same one that's in the clip. I try to use WAV files for tone matching, and split the tracks to Mono with audacity and then pan left for my tone matches.

thanks for sharing! one of the greatest of the great thrash albums and sounds.
did you have an iso track or did you use the album clip you played?
that album is dry, especially for the era (when everything had arena-reverb), but it is multi-tracked and it may be throwing the matching a bit.
its close but I sense it could be closer, some of that will be other details besides the amp of course!

many thanks! I will play with this later this week for sure.

We used to play "Indians' and 'NFL'. Met them before the show at the record vault in SF in 87 on this tour with Exodus and Metal church.

It might just be the stereo imaging of the original, but it sounds like the amp isn't the same. At the very least, you might need more gain.

Thanks for the info Dan, I've been a fan of your playing for many years! I've read that Scott used a JCM800 and a TC Electronics boost pedal during this time.... Did you use Mesa's or a setup similar to Scott?

I will try another attempt at this tone match, and my State Of Euphoria tone match now that 6.01 is out. I have found that it is best to get a sound as close as possible to the original recording by just using an amp and cab block before adding the tone match block. In some cases, the amp and cab used in the patch won't be the exact models used on the original recordings. I keep the cab bypassed when I create the tone match, so the cabinet used in the patch should not matter that much.

Dave Z
You'll also need an impulse response Marshall cab for a 4x12 Celestion 80 watt or you're not coming close. That's what I used.

I'm not really the gushing type, so please forgive me... but...

HOLY SHIT! Dan Spitz! Man, you have no idea how vital your music was to my teenage years. I always felt you guys were the most encouraging and least afraid... and of the four, were always my true favorite.

All the best...

I was so bummed during the years that Danny was absent from the band. 'Thrax is not 'Thrax without Danny Spitz, plain and simple.

Thanks for kindness everyone. Feels great.

TC Electronics Booster + Line Driver to push the first 12ax7 input side of tube into overblast. I found these when working on 48th street in Manhattan selling guitars and hanging with Tommy Hillfiger's brother (Billy) who worked at Manny's > JCM > 80 watt celestions > Fingers. Camo Marshalls were 80 watts (320).

Lead guitar is as different story.

Nobody made me want a Jackson V more than Mr. Spitz!

Thanks for chiming in!

This is awesome that the man chimes in once in a while. You are the one that got me into Jacksons. I have attached a picture from an old magazine. Still to this day I love this guitar! 20120612_182436.jpg

Here's another attempt at tone matching this record. I used the opening riff of "I Am The Law" as my source. This time, I used a Euro Uber amp instead of a Brit 800 in order to get more bass.
For my recording, I tracked 4 guitars with 2 tracks left and 2 tracks right. My playing isn't that tight since I just recorded this quickly in order to compare the tone match patch to the original. The tone matched "mosh" riff from "Imitation Of Life" sounds brighter to me than the original.

Feel free to check out the patch, and make any improvements.

Dave Z

Attachments

• ANTHRAX AMONG TONEMATCH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom