Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

Dutch said:
@ Voes: Why build in, pay for and lug around two power stages if the cab only uses one, as do a great many guitarsists. I myself run stereo if I can but mostly mono. Just for arguments sake: would you ask the same of active studio monitors? Or wedges?

What I would like is if there were a version with a 2 space rack bay... And an internal power feed through... Of course only if the depth will take AN AXE-FX ULTRA. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Tom, how deep is the cab? Such a version one of those fun items in the works?

I really like that Head version DonGrosh! But the real charm of this new Atomic is in the cab! Full Range Flat Response! Now if they would make extension cabs in the shape of a 4x12...

Actually. I'm also one of those guys that like it quietly. My left ears distorts at normal band volumes. Something like Hyperacusis. I just ran my 20/20 pretty strong and my ear did it again. Although Jay Mitchell says it shouldn't make a difference, speakers that sound good loud should also sound good quietly, I just don't think my 4x12 Rectocab sounds good at low volume, even with a "small" amp driving it. I always thought the speakers need a bit of action to shake loose, low power just doesn't shake 'em.
How does the Atomic perform at low volumes? I guess the tweeter could be taking care of some of that.

And guys, be nice to Tom, I'd like him to stick around!
Tom, this is a forum, people speak their mind kinda freely and in this case, they're STOKED! Don't ignore it, but don't let them ruffle your feathers either. ;)

A 4x12 FRFR? Count me in!

Thank you, Tom, for all the given information.

I read the whole thread but miss one thing: How about the weight? Tube-Power to me sounds like "heavy like a tank" ... using two of them for stereo shouldn't be too painful ;-)

Thanks - Michael

I'd sure like to hear this vs. the QSC.

So perhaps I will. :D

Did I miss the dimensions?

I really like the look and that you'll have a passive version and can run one powered and one passive for true stereo. Stacked up on top of each other, the 412 boys should be happy. :D Assume I am correct here (it's early in the morn...)???

Is the unpowered version the same size and form factor? Will there be a return policy ala the 15 day period for the Axe-FX?

Scott Peterson said:
I really like the look and that you'll have a passive version and can run one powered and one passive for true stereo.

To me it sounds like you will need 2 powered versions for true stereo.

mranonimouse said:
Scott Peterson said:
I really like the look and that you'll have a passive version and can run one powered and one passive for true stereo.

To me it sounds like you will need 2 powered versions for true stereo.

Sound like you would need 2 powered to me as well.

The thing looks VERY interesting.

Regardless of the sound, which I'll assume is great, it has all the 'correct' marketing decisions (tube, traditional cab look, etc).

I was REALLY hoping for a wedge. I don't care about the look of a traditional rig. A wedge design is the best option for keeping stage volume as low as possible, and still hearing yourself. The few feet in front of me, is the only guaranteed stage real-estate I have. So, at this point, I guess this is a deal breaker...and I'll just wait for the massive QSC sell-off. :mrgreen:

squealie said:
and I'll just wait for the massive QSC sell-off. :mrgreen:
nice excuse ;), but I would guess that tilting the Atomic will take roughly the same amount of floor space in front of you as a QSC in wedge position (and less space to either side of you). I plan on keeping my QSCs* as well as getting an Atomic Reactor FR... an ARFR? woof! (and tweet!)

Again, really great to meet you both, Tom and Cliff! (And thanks for the further details and clarifications on the new cab!) I'm happy to have such class acts behind my favorite piece of music gear. :)

*disclaimer: I pretty much don't ever sell my music gear... if nothing else, the QSCs would make some awesome computer gaming speakers! :D

Michael said:
Thank you, Tom, for all the given information.

I read the whole thread but miss one thing: How about the weight? Tube-Power to me sounds like "heavy like a tank" ... using two of them for stereo shouldn't be too painful ;-)

Thanks - Michael

40 Lbs each

godprobe said:
squealie said:
nice excuse ;), but I would guess that tilting the Atomic will take roughly the same amount of floor space in front of you as a QSC in wedge position (and less space to either side of you).

Not an 'excuse' at all...in the same sense that I wouldn't take a traditional PA enclosure and tilt it in front of me for vox. I play in a rock band, after all, and a wedge also dubs as a foot-prop, a soloing platform, and a groupie-buffer.

I was as eager as anyone for the 'Fractal FRFR Solution'.... but alas, it doesn't fit my needs in this design. It still looks very cool though.

squealie said:
godprobe said:
squealie said:
nice excuse ;), but I would guess that tilting the Atomic will take roughly the same amount of floor space in front of you as a QSC in wedge position (and less space to either side of you).

Not an 'excuse' at all...in the same sense that I wouldn't take a traditional PA enclosure and tilt it in front of me for vox. I play in a rock band, after all, and a wedge also dubs as a foot-prop, a soloing platform, and a groupie-buffer.

I was as eager as anyone for the 'Fractal FRFR Solution'.... but alas, it doesn't fit my needs in this design. It still looks very cool though.
Foot propping makes you look cool and into your music! ;)

I like the QSC's I have (2) and I am curious to hear what these do. I had an Atomic setup a while back, but didn't really like the sound and feel with the Vox Tonelabs, Line 6 FB, or my VG88. I realize these are not the same class as my Ultra. Maybe I am not a tube guy, who knows. I sold the Atomic (too long demoing to send back) and tried using a VHT and had a similar opinion.

Tom -
This may be a simplistic question but....

I know there is a 'in the room' sound that some guys say is missing using the SS FRFR like JBL and QSC. But, how does this FRFR cabinet achieve the in the room sound that some people are looking for?

rb

PS- I would keep my QSC's also, even if I bought these. They are good stage monitors.

Grats Tom! This Atomic FR is great news. I'm particularly thrilled to see a variable tweeter feature. Fantastic stuff.

We draw nearer and nearer to an MFX amplification panacea! :mrgreen:

I'm curious about the Reactor FR giving the in-the-room sound as well. I thought it was the close-mic IRs that made it NOT sound like you're in the room with the amp, not the speaker cabinet...

FYI. I'm on the road coming back from the show and won't have much access to the web until tomorrow. So don't think I disapeared. I will try to answer all questions ASAP.

-TK

Holy smoke, Tom seems to be just as cool as Cliff!!! How good we have it, ladies and gentlemen!

Finaldo said:
I'm curious about the Reactor FR giving the in-the-room sound as well. I thought it was the close-mic IRs that made it NOT sound like you're in the room with the amp, not the speaker cabinet...

Seems to me we're in 6.0 territory here. Probably all that work Cliff's done with 1024 IR's will have plenty more options regarding that.

Fractal products sell themselves. The excellent service keeps the company going. Product flaws can be forgiven. Bad service rarely is. Cliff not only has a great product, but also fantastic service. The sky is the limit with Fractal. ;)

Back
Top Bottom