Am I alone in keeping the Ultra????

Im sure the Ultra will take me right to the AxeFx III

+1. I'm keeping the Ultra. I've had it for about 6 months and still feel like I'm scratching the surface. For what I do (church once a week and the occasional conference), the Ultra is perfect. It already surpassed my last rig (AC30 with a whole mess of effects) the first month I got it. The one thing I'd like is to have analog/tape delays. But even that, I'm fine without because I have a Memory Lane 2 and am getting an El Capistan to run through the FX loop.

When/If an AxeFX III comes out in another 5 years, though, I'll be first in line. :)

Last edited:
I've had my Ultra for a little over a year and performed/recorded w/funk, jazz, and rock groups...they'll have to pry this machine from me when I'm gone!

Would I love to have the Axe-II...sure. But, for now the Ultra does exactly what I need.

BTW, it may be sometime before Cliff gets enough of the new box out the door and they're may be a few kinks with initial versions. But, I think the original will be considered a "Classic" for many years to come.

Last edited:
I'm keeping mine. The thought of having to recreate all my presets turns my stomach. Seriously.

lol, I had almost the exact opposite reaction. I'm keeping mine but it inspired me to reinvent my "base tone", so I was thinking of starting over from scratch and building presets from the ground up based around specific RedWirez cabs. That's hilarious.

Last edited:
I am keeping the Ultra for now- it is a great piece of kit. I am kinda disappointed in the new release- NOT BECAUSE I DONT LIKE THE ULTRA-its the timing and how it correlates with my purchasing timeline (because I recently spent $2k- and for me, $2K is a lot of freaking money)....and lets face it- the new R&D is gonna be all about the II. Yeah- we'll get a bone once in a while, but seriously- Fractal is the LEADER in the industry- and leaders dont typically live in the past- they drive the future.
I am in no way saying the Ultra isnt an absolute MONSTER- it is, and I am grateful- but I am in no position at this time to reinvest in "the next big thing". Wish I could, so i could grow with the product, and take part in the joy of "new amp firmware day" and such....oh well.
i still have an Ultra, and am blessed to have it. if it wasnt so great, I wouldnt want to check out the II....now I really do want an MFC 101, but thats another story...

I'm keeping mine too, and will be investing in a better amplification solution instead...since I'm targeting FRFR now

i'll be keeping and using my Ultra till I get my hands on the Axe II, then possibly keep the Ultra for backup, so i'm not worried about how much they'll be selling on Ebay etc.. to me it's still worth the same amount it did when I first bought it.

i'll be keeping and using my Ultra till I get my hands on the Axe II, then possibly keep the Ultra for backup, so i'm not worried about how much they'll be selling on Ebay etc.. to me it's still worth the same amount it did when I first bought it.

Exactly :) Whoops, my exactly was for the end of this about Ebay. I won't be upgrading anytime soon. My Ultra is OK for me as is-Fabulous!

Last edited:
You know how much us Axe-FX'er are getting reamed on other forums for suddenly thinking our "best guitar thingy evar!" is suddenly crap now? All of this goof-ball 'must have' consumerism is ridiculous - it never ends.

I could barely afford my Ultra when I bought it, but after buying it (two years ago) I haven't purchased a single piece of guitar gear; it essentially saved me money and time. On top of that even having for two years I've barely done much with it (I'm lazy and a drummer first) so why the hell would I even think twice about spending what would be another absolute ton of cash (increased price + shipping + boarder fees + loss on Ultra sale) to get something that it just "different"?

So, shut up and play your damn Ultra, already.

Had the Ultra since 08. I will be getting the II because I think the CAB-IR upgrade alone is worth it. I always wanted the looper to be longer as well. Not quite sure about the USB and how to deal with that as I today run everything thru a fireface 800 which outputs to the Adam A7's and wedgies. I will be keeping the Ultra as a backup or possibly use it as an effects unit for the keyboards. I just hate selling stuff and would have kept the Ultra anyway as it was/is my "FIRST" love.

Yikes, it's taken me months and months of programming to get my Ultra-MFC setup just right and I have sounds lined up for 2 projects that will probably take over a year to complete. Why would I abandon all my hard work now? A great sound is just that, a great sound, whether it's from an Ultra or a Pignose mic'ed with a radio shack special: if it compliments the song in an artistic way than a job well done.
I'll wait a while before jumping on the Axe-FX II bandwagon although yes, I am very interested to see and hear how much further Cliff can take his dream of making digital indistinguishable from a huge collection of "the real Thing".
Firmware 11 made my Ultra even more yummy by the way, hard to describe any other way.

I'm keeping mine. It's just too good to let go. I'll probably get the scratch together to put an Axe II in the rack, but I'll still keep my Ultra. I'm a big fan of having backups. Haven't tried the v11 firmware yet. Can't wait ti get home this weekend to load it up.
The Axe II sure looks appealing. Just the simple addition of USB connectivity is a huge plus. The midi connectivity is much to fickle. It's been a headache for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing a new release of Axe-Edit. That'll make my day.
Anyway.... Happy camper here. With the Ultra I'm experiencing the best tones ever.

Back
Top Bottom