Am I alone in keeping the Ultra????

I was on the fence about picking up the II but now with the steep price increase that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Hello peeps!
Gonna pick up my Ultra tomorrow.....oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy :)
Was supposed to get it tonight but the bank denied me MY money grrrrrr bitches!
Already have all the manuals,drivers,firmware,etc
Did ALOT of research before making this decision, youtube video's from "samhillband" (Mark) absolutely convinced me!!!! UNBELIEVABLE TONES
I am a mad scientist tweaker and I'm looking forward to getting lost in parameters for a few days....(have stocked up on food,beer,leafy meds,etc lmfao)

well, well, well, I've been giving the F.W. 11.0 a real go for a week or so now: going through my list of "best of" presets gathered from all the nice people here on the forum. Been shutting down a hell of a lot of EQ blocks (not needed now) and tweaking ever so slightly. wow! It's a terrific upgrade that gives both control and power; totally upgrading the sound and feel of the Ultra. I am very pleased and am amazed at how much more pleased I am as compared to a week ago when I was just...well, pleased with the sound of the Ultra. How much more pleased can one be. I'll wait a long to while truly find out, see how the first batch of II's sit with the masses, wait for a few magazine reviews too. What can I tell you: I'm am happy with the Ultra as it does everything I want it to do, and so much more, so I'll wait a while as in and of itself, it is not a hurdle in quality that is getting in the way of my progression as a guitarist. Strangely enough, after all the expensive gear I have accumulated, my greatest stumbling block continues to be this one thing, the one thing that even the great great Axe-II won't solve....it always comes down to my ability to actually play the guitar. The one thing the axe does do is make me "want" to play more, which can only help my ability. The Ultra suits me just fine right now and it has been a good friend. I'd hate to be fickle.

Yah dude, the hard thing about this hobby I find (for me) is that it is so easy to get caught up on having the latest gear and spending mean cash, and not focusing enough time on actually improving on your skill as a guitarist. In this hobby (or profession), the saying "a plumber is only as good as his tools" doesn't really apply. New gear inspires me to play though which is good :)

I started this post the first day I ordered my ultra, I had some reservations if I made the correct decision. After I have played it for a little over a month, I am really enjoying it. Still a part of me checks in on the ll. I guess I will put that thought to rest. I just logged in and saw the new price increase. I am set just where I am, I can still buy the best fractal foot controller and still have lots of money left over. I am 100% sure I did the right thing for me now. At 2200 I was kicking it around for the extra features but for 2600. That throws me into a whole new league. I fold!!!

Man, come on. I still play my PS2/Xbox/Gamecube and enjoy them equally as much as my current gen consoles.

Some consoles just can't be replaced. :)
Also this is why not all new technology is good:
xbox-360-broken-but-nintendo-still-working.jpg

Some consoles just can't be replaced. :)
Also this is why not all new technology is good:
xbox-360-broken-but-nintendo-still-working.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack but sad to say my Super Famicom is broken. Found out about a month ago... *CRIES*

And YEAP! I kept my Ultra and boy o boy do I love every moment of it everytime I use that beaut! :)

I also recently got a El Capistan and PTD Mini Bone pedal and using it in front of the Ultra. SOUNDS KILLER! I love the effects in the axe but there's something about having a nice pedal under your feet with knobs to play with. Haha

The II goes on my "I'll think about it in 2012" list. These days I try to avoid the siren call of new for the sake of new. It's probably a significant upgrade from my Ultra but one that I don't need at the moment. My Ultra sounds just as it did last week and I was thrilled then.
So much for that. I had a major gear sell-off the weekend before the II became available. I had the AxeFx II in my sights (along with an MFC-101) and I took my shot. While I'd be quite happy sticking with the Ultra, I had gear money available at just the right time to get a fun new toy.

Sorry to hi-jack but sad to say my Super Famicom is broken. Found out about a month ago... *CRIES*

And YEAP! I kept my Ultra and boy o boy do I love every moment of it everytime I use that beaut! :)

I also recently got a El Capistan and PTD Mini Bone pedal and using it in front of the Ultra. SOUNDS KILLER! I love the effects in the axe but there's something about having a nice pedal under your feet with knobs to play with. Haha

How'd you get your hands on a super famicom? Well my gameboy still works. And for some reason so does my 360 after a year. I know people who burn through one faster than you can say Microsoft and don't understand why that happens.

How'd you get your hands on a super famicom? Well my gameboy still works. And for some reason so does my 360 after a year. I know people who burn through one faster than you can say Microsoft and don't understand why that happens.

it's Micro$oft. That's the reason. :)

I actually had my hands on Super Famicom when it came out in Japan. I was a BIG BIG BIG gamer when I was a kid (1-2nd grade). Lived in Korea and my grandparents would go to Japan a lot and they got me as a gift. One of the coolest toys of all time. Haha

Your xbox survived the three rings? That's a miracle :D

it's Micro$oft. That's the reason. :)

I actually had my hands on Super Famicom when it came out in Japan. I was a BIG BIG BIG gamer when I was a kid (1-2nd grade). Lived in Korea and my grandparents would go to Japan a lot and they got me as a gift. One of the coolest toys of all time. Haha

Your xbox survived the three rings? That's a miracle :D

Lucky! Yep my 360 seems to be just fine. I treat it like all my other systems which is without prejudice. Don't know why it should break down. I had my game cube run for about 2 weeks straight with no power off and it works like a charm. But the winner goes to my ps2 who stayed on for more than a month nonstop due to my RPG antics.

NO

I have owned mine for about 1 1/2 years, and am still way impressed with its tonality, and have my hands quite full with all its possibilities. The FW 11.0 upgrade did hit the sweet spot though. I have the option of playing thru 2 QSC powered K10's or 2 Atomic powered wedges. Each has its strength, but prefer the Atomic wedges overall. The K10's for Acoustic & vocals. I say all that to say sound is subjective, different people hear different things. It is a matter of taste. I like many people "feel the need" to own the "newest" "best" equip. out there. My ONLY knock on the Ultra is the lack of a USB. Other than that I dont believe the Ultras comparetive "short comings" are going to prohibit me from becoming the next Alex Lifeson :))) or @ least having an absolute BLAST everytime I fire up the Ultra.

Last edited:
When the ultra was in full swing, apart from wish lists, most people were not talking about how the unit wasn't up to some better standard. It had become a reference standard.
It was good enough then and now it isn't? What about the FA 3 or 4...?
If FA continues to exist in 5 more years, it seems likely that the model 2 versus model 3 will undergo the same debates as the ultra.
Granted, I do believe that new and proven better designs are possible, as is likely with the II, it should not automatically make the former easily dismissed. A good piece of equipment is just that.
There is always a danger with some people who can not rest with the introduction of something better.
Better it might be but, as the model number rises (model 2,3,4,etc) there will always be an interest in vintage units because most, if not all manufacturers will have undone somethings (usually simplicity/reliability) so, people will, as even with certain synths, clamor to the past- justified or not.
If you were happy with the ultra as the "ultra guitar processor", then sometimes its best to not change anything.
To be clear and fair, some of the features in the II will have a definite advantage to some people but not most, if most means that those concerned will not make better music or more money just because they have a II.

Last edited:
I just plugged into my axe yesterday with my new 8 string Schecter and it sounds awesome! I hadn't used it in like a week or two due to work and other work. I think that's what all these people need. A week or two without the axe.

I'm two days in to the Ultra....I won't be selling this even when the II comes home. Having a real "what took me so long" vibe.

Blown away and overwhelmed doesn't even begin to describe. Good possibility the 6505+, Dual Rec, modded 5150, TSL, Krank, and Single Rec aswell as a ton of pedals and other assorted garbage will be going up for sale after a while with this thing.

Magic, pure and simple.

Since im a late adopter to the fractal universe, it will be quite a long time before i feel the need for an upgrade. In the short time ive had the ultra and of course with the guidance found here and all over th interwebs ive come closer than ever to that ever so ellusive, "tone in my head". Started messin around with the uber model and the axefx wifi info regarding the mesa mark series graphic eq settings for the parametric eq block and was absolutely blown away. Got to really open up my rig tonite and couldnt be happier. Cliff, you have created a truly revolutionary product.

I still hear many great things about the Ultra. If you are satisfied with it, at least wait a bit until all the frenzy is over and more people post reviews and clips.

P.S: For those of you who AREN'T keeping your Ultras, I am looking to buy one, PM me thanks!

Back
Top Bottom