Am I alone in keeping the Ultra????

Its a bummer that the Ultra is missing headphone and USB outs, but is nobody wondering why the Axe FX II is missing Firewire, which is the most commonly used port for recording? I'm pretty certain that the next version will feature firewire etc - stuff that would have made total sense to be included in this version, just as a headphone out seemed like a VERY obvious requirement on the Std/Ultra, but wasn't included. It's a business practice among some companies to hold back and not give out all the fruits of your R&D in one product. Just maximising profitability, really.

What happens when Axe FX III comes out with firewire, some new amp sims, and a "more modern" look? I'm sure people will ditch the Axe FX II in a hurry. I have to admit, I was one of those who was going to dump his Ultra and buy the new one as soon as I heard the news. After the initial lust cooled off, and I tried firmware 11, I've changed my mind. I'm really not happy with the way buyers were kept in the dark about future plans, but I'll hold on to my Ultra for a while. Mine's only 2 months old, but I'm sure it would depreciate ridiculously now.

Your thoughts mirror mine exactly! There's nothing to date I've heard from Axe 2 clips / videos etc that makes me want to dive in like I initially did. You know what else is missing from the Axe 2 which should have been on the Standard and Ultra? A dedicated compare function/ button!

Best :)

Your thoughts mirror mine exactly! There's nothing to date I've heard from Axe 2 clips / videos etc that makes me want to dive in like I initially did. You know what else is missing from the Axe 2 which should have been on the Standard and Ultra? A dedicated compare function/ button!

Best :)

+1

Got my axe 2 months before the axe 2 came out ,I've got yrs to catch up on some of you to learn the ultra.I.m happy with it ,now if I could stop buying guitars and modifying them:)

As so many have statet the Ultra is such a incredible peace of gear and just because there comes a new model with usb, headphones out and some better chip, will not make me love my AXe less - it sounds so good and I have after 1½ year only still scraped the surface of programming better sounds from it . The FW11 is great and I really hope that we get new FW´s along the way and a more intuitive AXe-edit

I for one am happy with the Ultra, and so far it suits my needs. I'm still learning the thing and I use it live and in the studio. Bandwagons come and go....

Nope... you are not the only one.

I'm sure the II is awesome, but so is the Ultra. I was stoked on the Ultra after the first hour of playing through it, and I am still stoked about playing through it. There will come a day when the II is the old model and the UberUltra is the next thing. Nobody has a new II. As soon as you plug in and play it, it's used gear. Perhaps some day I'll have spare money looking to be spent, but until then, God bless Cliff for creating the best processor I ever played through.

Seeing that the Axe II doesn't have additional DSP for FX when compared with the Ultra, I'll likely not worry about upgrading ASAP by buying new unless the G2 amp modeling is a whole lot better than the Ultra's (I currently use the Ultra for FX only most of the time, with custom tube amps in it's FX Loop).

That said, I most certainly will upgrade to a Axe II at some point as the additional features are all desirable, though I might wait until the fever dies down?

After seeing all the nasty posts today on both sides, my Ultra will be staying for awhile and not get involved with the crazyness of trying to get the Axe II, The Ultra sounds and works fantastic and am glad to have it.

I too feel the same way. I'm about to sell my Dad's vintage Martin D-35, a '66 which has a repaired broken neck just behind the nut. Had a great repair job done buy a reputable luther. It's still worth a good amount enough to pay for my Dad's much needed head stone for his grave and an Axe-fx II. And I know I would have his blessing because the practical approach was how he operated with rather then the sentimental approach. He always got the right tool for the job, what ever it took. Anyway if all goes thru I will sit back with my wonderful "Ultra" and wait for things to calm down. Let the lions do their thing and feast when the time is right! The "Ultra will make a fantastic back up-rehearsal unit with no regrets. Good luck everyone!:D

I picked my Ultra up, and had the prototype AxeII in my hands the same day. Both are great units, and I bought my Ultra knowing (before most people did, heh) that the new unit was coming.

The Ultra is fantastic. No regrets, best piece of gear I've ever owned.

I picked my Ultra up, and had the prototype AxeII in my hands the same day. Both are great units, and I bought my Ultra knowing (before most people did, heh) that the new unit was coming.

The Ultra is fantastic. No regrets, best piece of gear I've ever owned.

WOW! So you had a prototype axe II and chose to get an ultra? That speaks volumes!

Maybe the people that stupidly think the ultra is a paperweight now should read your post.

I'm likely to sell my ultra soon - maybe list it this weekend, priced to sell. Love it, but want the II :) What can I say, new is the new new.

I'll hang on to my Ultra until things cool down with the Axe II. I want to eventually pick up the Axe FX II, but for now, I'm completely happy with my Ultra. I actually want the II because of the additions to the effects, such as the ability to overload the feedback on the delay block (I miss that in my Electroharmonix Memory Man Deluxe!). There are a few other things, but I'm really in no hurry whatsoever to get a replacement for the Ultra.

I just started messing around with using an acoustic through the Ultra, and have been having a blast! I posted a thread about it, but it really is fun!

Take care, and happy playing, everyone!

I fall in love even more with my Ultra each day...until I really NEED to get something better, I'm sticking with the Ultra...

With the AF2 price bumped up; anyone else glad they didn't hurry to give away their Ultras? perhaps this will inject some demand back into the Ultras on the used market. Perhaps everyone who rushed to sell are experiencing regret at this point...understandable.

I bought an Ultra a couple of years ago as a tool to solve many issues I had surrounding live playing; portability, sound quality, flexibility, useability, and it's still 'doing it's thing' quite well addressing all of those concerns.

The Ultra/Standard are both rich, deep, well thought out processors; after two years of use I've still not scratched the surface of many of the Ultras' features aside from an FX/amp/cab/FRFR setup. There are just so many fun things in it too (envelope control of parameters, synths, weird delay space sounds, etc.) that one could explore those capabilities for a long time...they're fun boxes indeed.

In many ways, they're both still waaaay ahead of their time...they'll be more than enough of a processor/rig, and offer more than enough functionality, for lots of players for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom