Already thinking add an H9 to FM3... Anyone have or other good options?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
The CPU was kind of disappointing, but again I get and knew it was not going to be exactly like my Axe Fx 3. So add H9 or what? Let's talk......

What do you need in a typical preset and what would the H9 cover that you can't get in the box?

I keep wondering what people are trying to do in presets to get them so heavy...
On the AX8 I had one preset that was on the edge, but that had synth paths with all sorts of stuff going on where the OD block nudged it over the edge. On the FM3 I solved that with another amp channel. There's one kitchen sink preset that's heavy. I run mostly song-based presets.

Are there any shortcuts that could alleviate the weight a bit? Does lowering the quality and echo density of the reverb make it horrible? Spread the options you want over two presets?
I can't imagine a song needing more options than one preset would offer. Maybe an entire set would need more, but spread that out over several presets...

That said. I hear the H9 is an awesome unit.

I keep wondering what people are trying to do in presets to get them so heavy...
On the AX8 I had one preset that was on the edge, but that had synth paths with all sorts of stuff going on where the OD block nudged it over the edge. On the FM3 I solved that with another amp channel. There's one kitchen sink preset that's heavy. I run mostly song-based presets.

Are there any shortcuts that could alleviate the weight a bit? Does lowering the quality and echo density of the reverb make it horrible? Spread the options you want over two presets?
I can't imagine a song needing more options than one preset would offer. Maybe an entire set would need more, but spread that out over several presets...

My preset template for trying new amps is maxed out with my essentials. Wah, env wah (for the Jerry thing), chorus, phaser, drive, filter (for flat boost), delay, and reverb. The heaviest processor in my patches is usually the reverb, some patches use multiband compressor as well which is usually the second heaviest block for me. Can't use the synth or pitch blocks or add any additional modulation like flange or ring mod without sacrificing reverb (even if using the plex verb). It's maxed but i'm pretty happy with how I've got it set up. I might snag a whammy to put in front of fm3 to do that though

Something like this for 4CM. Build a kitchen sink that would have most in it. More important if using scenes and wanting gapless switching. Otherwise a patch could be used and limit what is needed for just that singular patch. But then the switching is not as quick.

Attachments

• 4CM Template_20201216_071108 (1).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
Boss RV-500, amazing pedal and the delay is cool too

Handy to use the third foot switch as a tap tempo too

The CPU was kind of disappointing, but again I get and knew it was not going to be exactly like my Axe Fx 3. So add H9 or what? Let's talk......

Not sure you need the H9. I only have one preset that doesn't have enough CPU for a reverb block... but otherwise I am able to replicate all my Axe III presets.

Not sure you need the H9. I only have one preset that doesn't have enough CPU for a reverb block... but otherwise I am able to replicate all my Axe III presets.

I agree, I started off being disappointed and immediately bought the RV-500, which is great, but after a couple of months pulled it off the board and sold it - FM3 is great on it's own, reverb on economy mode really does sound great - and I can do a lot just in the box.

I do run a KoT in front, mainly because I have it - but also it's great to use as a boost, although that's rarely/never used these days

My 4CM "very basic" template reports 66%
This is while not using USB to PC, and only one modifier for a spring loaded pedal --> auto engage / pedal control for the Wah block.
Reverb is on Economy, Delay is mono digital, Wah is Crybaby, compressor is 4:1 optical, and Drive is a TS808.

[IN1]--[WAH]--[DRV]--[COM]--[OUT2]
[IN2]--[GEQ]--[REV1]--[DLY1]--[OUT1]
[MIDI]

Removing Reverb drops it to 46% (20% usage)
Removing Delay drops it to 64% (2% usage)

Yes the Reverb in economy mode sounds great, but with usability of 10% (blank) to 80% (full) = 70% to actually work with, losing near 30% of that available CPU just for reverb makes it painful.

I currently have an H9, Big Sky, Timeline and Mobius in my effects loop. But that’s just because I love them all. But since reverb is the biggest CPU hog, you could definitely use either an H9 or Big Sky and never run out of CPU again. (Of course you could, but you know what I mean) ;)

H9 will be arriving for Christmas , so will test things out..... NOT because I ran out of CPU.... my presets are under 70%, and not because the FM3 can’t do what the H9 can..... but somehow I just love the ‘tone’ of the H9 for especially the Pitch Detune and then hopefully also the Delays & Verbs .... and of course combine the Delays & Verbs of the FM3 with H9 , as the H9 can be used only for 1 algorithm at the time.....

Last edited:
I'm not a huge ambient guy (well, not in my coverband but maybe for writing/playing/recording). The H9 sounds amazing, but it is quite an investment. The things that would bother me are extra power and MIDI. I'm attempting to get everything done using just the FM3, a Mosky dual "stand in switch" and Dunlop mini expression. I simply don't want a bigger board and even though I have the Truetone CS6 mounted underneath (which I love that power supply, great clean power and slimline) I really DO NOT want to run dual power to the board (FM3 + CS6).
I'm a long time FAS user (since the Standard) and in almost all cases I would replace "always on" reverb with "always on light delay". Now with channels I can quickly switch my "light delay" into a more ethereal, long, cascading BBD style delay on a scene.
I did check out some of the cloud style verbs and man they are gorgeous, but honestly I would use them very specifically for spice and probably have a dedicated preset.
I simply don't need super high quality like spring Reverb on patches, especially live. Personally I feel Reverb live gets lost in the mix quite often -- and can even lose you in the mix. But I do understand very ambient players would absolutely need strong verbs and delays.

I added an H9 after I started running out of CPU. I was still in AxeFxIII mode. You'll most likely never run out of CPU again if you add one. I'm mainly using it for Verbs, Delays. Since I can send a program change for each scene you can use it for a lot actually.

However, now that I've been using it for a while, I'm breaking my presets down. F. Ex. on the III I'd have a chorus and a flanger block but I rarely use the flanger. So on the 3 I have a preset designated for use of the flanger. So instead of thinking about a kitchen sink preset, have a basics preset then use other presets to add the flavors. I have basic (wah, amp/cab, delay, verb), then based off of that 1 or 2 for modulations 1 or 2 for delays etc.

I added an H9 after I started running out of CPU. I was still in AxeFxIII mode. You'll most likely never run out of CPU again if you add one. I'm mainly using it for Verbs, Delays. Since I can send a program change for each scene you can use it for a lot actually.

However, now that I've been using it for a while, I'm breaking my presets down. F. Ex. on the III I'd have a chorus and a flanger block but I rarely use the flanger. So on the 3 I have a preset designated for use of the flanger. So instead of thinking about a kitchen sink preset, have a basics preset then use other presets to add the flavors. I have basic (wah, amp/cab, delay, verb), then based off of that 1 or 2 for modulations 1 or 2 for delays etc.
Good advice with don't think of kitchen sink. Having the AX3 I still think in that mode.

Back
Top Bottom