Aldrich pickups are too hot? - getting digital distortion

I don't think it's the block levels that's causing this.
When inserting a block - especially an amp and cab - I set the level to the bypass level.
Cabs are generally at -4dB and amps anywhere from -3dB to even -18dB, depending on the master volume level.
With high gain amps, the distortion is masked by the overall distortion of the amps when using hot humbuckers. But a soon as you plug in a Strat (one with Kinman Woodstock set and one with Lace Sensors) it's much more apparent.
I had a nice AC/DC sound on a Brit800, clean bell like hard rock overdrive ( if you know what I mean) and there it's also very noticeable.

Been experimenting some more. Wiki:
If the original amp has no bright circuit, the default state is off
It seems that turning on the bright switch may in some cases cause this harsh clipping. I have now a preset with the Cameron Ch 2 that works for both Strats and humbucker guitars. So I presume if I can get one to work, there's nothing wrong with the Axe-Fx II. It may just be that on some models, when turning on the bright switch and digging in hard on the strings, this effect may occur.

Can't say it better... exact the same here, with my PRS, Les Paul & Strat!!!
And what's wrong with all clean amps in the Factory-Presets? None of them sounds clean, all overdriven... don't have it with FW 1.02-4.01!

Hearing this direct to mixer and even with my AKG K240 MK II direct from Axe-FX II Headphone-Out!!!

Did you install the new factory presets? If not, then you'll likely have problems.

All I can say is that I don't experience any of these issues, nor do the dozen or so beta testers, nor any of the engineers. Therefore there are only two logical conclusions: either something else in your signal chain is clipping or your unit is defective. If you feel it is the latter then contact your dealer. Bitching about it on the forum is not going to solve your problem. You need to do some investigation and attempt to determine which of the two possible conclusions is correct.

Been experimenting some more. Wiki: It seems that turning on the bright switch may in some cases cause this harsh clipping. I have now a preset with the Cameron Ch 2 that works for both Strats and humbucker guitars. So I presume if I can get one to work, there's nothing wrong with the Axe-Fx II. It may just be that on some models, when turning on the bright switch and digging in hard on the strings, this effect may occur.

Have you ever played through a real amp? This is not a rhetorical question.

Did you install the new factory presets? If not, then you'll likely have problems.

All I can say is that I don't experience any of these issues, nor do the dozen or so beta testers, nor any of the engineers. Therefore there are only two logical conclusions: either something else in your signal chain is clipping or your unit is defective. If you feel it is the latter then contact your dealer. Bitching about it on the forum is not going to solve your problem. You need to do some investigation and attempt to determine which of the two possible conclusions is correct.

I did notice that with 5.01 and v5 presets, that Shiva on the Rocks has gotten to sound crunchy.... Not an issue... I just turned down the Drive to compensate, but I have noticed that this clean preset is not very clean anymore.

Just an observation, not a bitch or moan, BUT... Man the dynamics and FEEL in version 5 are just crazy cool... Just feels great...Thanks for this update...one of the ones that reading the release notes does not do it justice ....you have to play to get the feel.

The preamp output gain of the Shiva clean was increased since it was too anemic before. You can simply turn down the Master to compensate.

Ok, cool....thanks...only noticed at rehearsal when I had to react quickly.... Will have a play with the Master volume... Thanks again for the tip

Have you ever played through a real amp? This is not a rhetorical question.
Yes I have.
Fender Concert Amp
Ampeg
Marshalls
Mesa Boogies MkIII
Koch
Peavey 5150
Lots more while working for a music store that was owned by the importer of Kramer & Gibson when I was doing demo's for Kramer.
Then later on rack models:
ADA MP1
Hughes & Kettner Access
Digitech 2120
Ernst The Rover
and that was about it.
I was an early adopter of modelers and I was thinking about going back to a tube amp when I came accross the Axe-FX.
Never thought about a real amp since ;)
But even if I had, I couldn't possibly have played all those models and remember how they react to my different guitars.
I've sent clips of what I experienced and never got any answer. Not even telling me nothing was wrong or this is normal...
So all we can do is bitch about it here and hope we get an answer or find a solution ;)

Last edited:
FOR ME THIS HAS BEEN FIXED 100%

OK, so after hearing Cliff state that his users and beta testers report nothing, and knowing that I am using a pristine signal path without any influences which could even remote introduce clipping I had to rethink myself here.

I wrote in my prior post the following:
"I am experiencing GREAT DYNAMICS but when light picking dynamics are being used and absolutely no "dirt" **->should be present or expected, there it is sitting right on my notes. Quiet light picking with DIRT??? Almost like static cling or honestly, the sound of clipping when no clipping is occurring."

** = Note - there is a big difference in the words "Should be" as opposed the word "IS"

I decided that I need to ignore my eyes in how they are seeing THE INPUT METER LIGHTS & CLIPPING LIGHTS, and just trust my trustful ears. As it is my ears who are not happy (along with the processing of the AXE-FX II internal processes) SO IN IGNORING THE LIGHTS as well as preconceived notions of where numerically my INSTR IN LEVEL in the GLOBAL I/O section should be set at. So, I turned it way lower into the area where it does NOT TICKLE THE RED LIGHTS AT ALL. I MEAN EVEN WITH THE HARDEST CHORD ATTACKS THE RED CLIPPING INDICATORS DO NOT LIGHT UP.

I started to play the same things on Shiver Clean, light picking dynamics included. NOTHING - NO HAIR - NO DIRT WHERE THERE SHOULDN'T BE DIRT - NO STATIC CLING OF DIGI CLIPPING WHEN PLAYING REALLY LIGHTLY just good wholesome tone. I followed this by hitting some comp. Wow even better. Then Drive - Woop - a little Clipping here - went to GLOBAL - CONFIG - Dropped AMP GAIN a fair amount and now no clipping at all even when DRIVE is on. I feel like both the INSTR IN and AMP Gain appear really really low, but perhaps that is my own perception? Perhaps many are thinking the same and are not even considering turning something down "That Low". But once I did, it works OK. Tickling the clipping Lights is not my target even though that is what I am directed to do in the Manual. It is just too hot even with no Clipping showing anywhere on the AXE.

I am thinking that perhaps the calibration between when the clipping lights heat up and when the signal is too hot for the processes is not aligned as closely as it should be. I ignored the meters, listened with my ears alone and now it's perfect. I am going to begin to creep up minute amounts of LEVEL IN on the Global I/O page until I once again hear the DIRT begin to appear, then will back it down. I just can't trust the Meter as my sole basis for INSTR IN setting on this AXE-FX II as this is solely what caused the issue. Perhaps calibration is something that can be addressed via FIRMWARE?? Maybe not. I don't care so much because this issue is KNOWN and FIXED. Loving my AXE-FX II with out the clipping!! Cheers

PLEASE GUYS (and Gals) TRY THIS IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU HAVE RELATED TO THIS ISSUE - POST YOUR FINDINGS - FAS could surely benefit in knowing if many others are finding a calibration issue on the clipping meter.

CLIFF?? YOUR 10 cents??

Last edited:
You mentioned DYNAMICS quite a bit. Have you tried adjusting the DYNAMICS in the amp block? This is new for V5, and it does make a big difference when striking chords loudly. I've found that I prefer to reduce dynamics as I increase the gain and want a thicker/fuller sound for chords. If you turn dynamics up too far it can get harsh. The amount I use depends completely on the patch and the sound I'm after. I start with the default (25%) and then adjust based on what I'm playing and the tone I'm after. Some of my patches are 5%, some are 50%.

Try playing with this setting and see if it makes any difference for what you are describing.

So, I turned it way lower into the area where it does NOT TICKLE THE RED LIGHTS AT ALL. I MEAN EVEN WITH THE HARDEST CHORD ATTACKS THE RED CLIPPING INDICATORS DO NOT LIGHT UP.

I started to play the same things on Shiver Clean, light picking dynamics included. NOTHING - NO HAIR - NO DIRT WHERE THERE SHOULDN'T BE DIRT - NO STATIC CLING OF DIGI CLIPPING WHEN PLAYING REALLY LIGHTLY just good wholesome tone. I followed this by hitting some comp. Wow even better. Then Drive - Woop - a little Clipping here - went to GLOBAL - CONFIG - Dropped AMP GAIN a fair amount and now no clipping at all even when DRIVE is on. I feel like both the INSTR IN and AMP Gain appear really really low, but perhaps that is my own perception? Perhaps many are thinking the same and are not even considering turning something down "That Low". But once I did, it works OK. Tickling the clipping Lights is not my target even though that is what I am directed to do in the Manual. It is just too hot even with no Clipping showing anywhere on the AXE.

That's odd and indeed going against the manual's instructions. The stock USA Clean / Shiva Clean patches have a crunch rather than a clean character on my guitar, but I've been turning down master / drive to clean them up. It is to be expected that reducing Amp Gain, reduces hair, but INSTR IN, shouldn't affect this if I understand its function correctly. Do you need to do this on all your guitars? What are your settings for INSTR IN and Amp Gain then?

Even if this solves the problem for you, it could still be interesting to post a patch and recording, so we can verify your findings on our units... .

With all my respect to you Cliff...

- I am using the Ultra since 2008 and now the Axe-FX II as one of the first in Europa!

- I know how to Update Firmware and I know how to install the new Factory Presets!

- I contact my dealer and tell him the problems!

That's all, no more from me!

Thanks,
Bullstein

I can't help but wonder how low the action on everyone's guitar is thats experiencing this weird sound. I love low action but theres a point where you will start to hear strings touch frets and especially if its a harmonic will sound like distortion. The II can be super sensitive even more than the ultra it seems to me in this area.

Are you using headphones. The headphone driver can distort before the clip lights come on depending upon the impedance of the headphones.

It's report card weekend here at this house, wife is school teacher grading and wanted quiet, usually doesn't mind my music down in the studio room. So I did use headphones today for the entire process I described. I am using 62 OHM cans. See:K 702 - Specifications

I did not realize, or even consider that the out for phones is going to want different level settings, as opposed to OUTS.

I know you are busy with a gazillion tasks, but is there any way, perhaps in F/W update down the road, that you might be able to have an I/O parameter to address the variables between PHONES vs OUTS? I saw a current thread here about phones, http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/46804-axe-fx-2-headphones.html , and it's clear that a lot of us are using greatly variable Phones impedance. Between 24 OHMS, and some at 250 OHMS Direct <- "xrist04" with a LIKE from "AMIN M@", says 250 OHMS direct is working well (I did not note anyone claiming 600 OHM cans work well direct at all, but if they are using 600 OHM cans, then they surely have a PHONES AMP as well.)

So, in the mean time, for users who play often with phones, what is Fractal's recommendation for the two varying output level needs of PHONES vs OUTs, (seeing as we only have one global setting and 2 apparently differing needs here), so that we can not have to sacrifice on 1 of these two output scenarios?

Thank you so much for taking the time to address the little details Cliff. Your response to this post totally makes sense and explains "why?" the huge difference in levels exists. I am curious how, my 62 OHM phones fall into your "depending upon the impedance of the headphones"
statement, school of thought in this regard.

This might be WIKI and/or future manual material, to help eliminate repeated user confusion and questions here.

i have aldrichs on a suhr w/ my input trim set to 80- 85 % tickling the red sometimes... i never get digital clipping, i have before but i just use my ear and adjust the settings... i don't use headphones though. mark day also uses aldrich pups and has a 2 as well....

I have a pair of old akg's that are 600 ohms. bass is lacking along with overall volume, but its very balanced otherwise. Just need a bit more power, unfortunately. Ironically my other headphones have low ohms and are super loud again lacking bass. Unfortunate.

Back
Top Bottom