Aldrich pickups are too hot? - getting digital distortion

I'm so glad this thread exists! I have Joe Barden Strat Deluxe pickups which are known to be quite hot and very bright. I've been getting that nasty digital clipping since 5.0 (and yes I installed the 5.0 presets) but since I haven't had time to documents lots of tests, numbers, etc. I haven't posted because I didn't want to be accused of just 'bitching' or whatever. My (rather experienced) ears tell me that it was clean before 5.0 and distorted after, it's digital distortion and not musical/analog overdrive, and the meter lights on the front never ever 'tickle' the reds. I am out of town and am looking forward to trying out "Global Level" suggestion when I get home! I am wondering if I will then have to go back and adjust the input gains for all my distorted presets. But either way, if it fixes the issue I'll be one pleased puppy. For the record, the new low-end and dynamics changes in 5.0 are absolutely amazing! So organic and natural feeling! I still LOVE my Axe-FX II and can't wait to hear it again in all its crystal clear glory!

FWIW I too had this problem after upgrading...I lowered my input level some (It was not hitting red very much at all prior to this however) and lowered my amp levels a lot and it went away--I do have feedback and return blocks in all patches so maybe the issues related to them earlier in this thread were what I was running into....(Also, FWIW, not a novice, longtime professional session musician well acquainted with what both amp distortion and digital artifacts sound like, and longtime Fractal user- used to own 2 Ultras, and now have both an Ultra and a II)....Didn't have this issue before, so something in the changes made setting the levels more sensitive...

No real problems though since lowering stuff, and absolutely loving what Cliff has done with V5!

Making anything clear:

1. I don't won't "bitching" here!
2. I have problems with the first presets in the new Factory-Bank A... Master-Volume is much to high on NonMaster-Volume Amps! No problems with the Highgain-Amps!!!
3. I am not the only one (take a look what the other User's saying)!
4. I am always in contact with my dealer here in Europe (G66)!
5. If I create my self-presets= all o.k., but I loose the Dynamic on clean sounds with the NonMaster-Volume Amps!

Thanks to all your help and input!

You're probably just overloading the input of your monitors (or daw or whatever you are using to listen to your axe II). If the clip light on the axe is not lit, but you can still hear some type of clipping sound, you are most probably clipping (your signal comming from the axe is too hot) the input(s) of your monitors or daw etc.
Try to lower the output volume (depending on which output you are using) and see if it clears the sound. If you are using the usb, you can use the pad control for the digi out.
As for the master being too high in some presets, you just need to either lower the master (if you feel you don't need that much power amp compression and drive) or if you want to keep the master as it is, just use the level control in the amp block to lower the overall volume of the amp block so that every preset has "comparable" amount of volume in relation to other patches. That's why it's there, so you can compensate when needed the loss (or gain) of volume when adjusting the master control.

PLEASE STICKY THIS LINK Edit <- Done! Thanks Adam!

YEK.....
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your humble giving of your knowledge and your time. Your mentoring is going to effect the actual music that many of us produce. Brother, you rock! I feel like your link was written for me. I guess you can call me user "X".

In any case, I am very grateful. I think you may have re kindled my relationship with my AXE-FX-II. I am a purist and cannot tolerate the "Hair" riding my notes while playing lightly. This was becoming a deal killer for me and I was starting to get that "This is not doing it for me" feeling. YOU are the only one to date who has offered a solid "Solution", rather than accusing us victims of clipping of "Bitching" when we seek help with this issue.

THANK YOU YEK! .... again.

ATTENTION FAS -> This CRITICAL ISSUE (see YEK's thread) should be considered as prime manual material. It currently is not fully detailed and users are frustrated because of it. I am sure that for every thread like this, there must be many more users who just throw their arms in the air, or wrongly conclude that the unit will always lightly clip and give up. This is a big part of why threads like this keep appearing as they should and will when users are experiencing clipping even after setting levels as per the current manual. (I know the user who doesn't read his manual will always complain and pretty much has no right to complain. But, that is another issue). Hopefully someone at FAS, with authority, can put it in an upcoming revision (UP FRONT). Then, us users won't have to keep writing the same reasonable thread over and over. If we users don't get this "LEVEL vs. CLIPPING" part right, the box is never going to work properly while playing lighter material, or satisfy players, as it can once when the signal level is properly INPUT. We just want the tools and knowledge, you have already given us the machine! (Which we do all love - THX again FAS) We just want our signal to be pristine, without the elusive "Hair of the Clipping DOG". With all due respect to FAS, nobody is "Bitching" we are just seeking direction here. This desire to have our AXE-FX II work to it's fullest is nothing less than complimentary. See as such, and work with us on this EXTREMELY IMPORTANT issue in the proper use of our processors. We all win when this issue is fully explained.
Peace! I am off to study and implement YEK's above offering!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom