AITR

I still now and then watch the Bricasti video below, demonstrating tasteful use of verb.

Awesome share thanks, nice to see I do a similar method as 2 of my favorite producers Bricasti and Marc Daniel Nelison. Definitely gotta try the chamber>delay>chamber on a future mix.

I still now and then watch the Bricasti video below, demonstrating tasteful use of verb.

I've seen this before, and love it. Though this watch through I picked up on something I didn't before that I'm going to try:

Different reverbs for different frequencies.

Going to split and x-over or low pass/high pass my signal and send to two different verbs, then sum it back down. Gave it a really nice space.

Thanks.

do we have a verdict yet on whether we will sacrifice a user bank for fullres IR support in the Mark I?

because I would gladly re-organise a few presets to play with this

Correct. Algorithmic reverb is considered to be superior to convolution reverb because algorithmic reverb can be perceptually tuned.

From a perceptual standpoint the ideal reverb is not found in typical reverberant spaces. See the work done by Griesinger, et. al. on perceptual reverberation.

As usual this whole topic has been confounded with people chiming in their opinions on topics of which they have little knowledge or experience.

The point of FullRes IRs is to add some room sound to your recordings and/or headphone playing. To do this you would mix conventional IRs with FullRes IRs.

You can ALSO use FullRes IRs to do short-to-medium convolution reverbs. If you have some reverb IRs you can convert them to FullRes IR format and load them in the IR Player block and use that as a reverb.
I'm ready! Just cleared out the few IRs i had in my MK1 User2 IR library...

Some answers:

1. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

I used to have a ton of user IRs. Ended up using very few to none, since I find the factory cabs to be great. I’ll give up some
User IRs slots to be able to use FullRes IRs.

...of course Mark I users want this! The one who are against then don't update the firmware =)
This is a deja vu from some years ago, I had to get the XL because Mark I and II suffered for lack of firmware space. But later on Cliff had a workaround (compressed firmware).
I bet 99.99% of users are not demanding 9999129 IRs in user_banks at performance.
I don't need any factory reserved stuff, but I see why they are needed but in these days most of users knows how to download stuff.

Last edited:
I have been in the Fractal world since the Ultra days and it has been the most satisfying tonal journey I could imagine. It's not only the tones that are at the forefront of this, but the continued effort made by Cliff that results in breakthroughs like this FullRes IR. Each breakthrough has resulted in what I consider the most important aspect of the Axe FX experience being better, which is musical inspiration. I can't wait to hear what music will inspired by the use of FullRes IRs. It's a very exciting time to be in the Fractal world. And to be in it, sometimes that means we have to exchange something in order to participate in a free (for us) update. The idea and potential of the FullRes IRs for my purposes are very enticing and clearly I'm not alone in this. So, in this case, if that means exchanging a User Cab bank in order to take part in Cliff's latest achievement after months of hard work, I'm glad to do so.
Cliff, the work that you do matters. The long hours do mean something important to so many of us. Thank you for your dedication to your journey as well as to all of ours.

I'm another III MkI user -- I no longer use any of the legacy cabs, I mostly use factory cabs, with only a handful of user slots that I regularly use. Would gladly trade what is (for me) wasted space for longer IR capability. For my purposes, just a few good IRs will do the job, and I can easily swap them as the AF is always connected to DAW. I never use my AFIII live, I use it for recording and playing in an acoustically terrible space - so fullres might be ideal, especially during the never-ending pandemic. While I'm here, a profound, heartfelt thanks to Cliff & crew -- I've used AF since the AFII Mk I first came out, and have been amazed at how the already fantastic modeling has evolved. I have better sound now than ever in > 30 yrs of playing multiple amplified instruments.:hearteyecat:

Edit - The AF is absolutely not just for guitar, it is a fantastic tool.

Is it meant for recording though?

The problem here is that if you want to use a reverb to glue instruments together, it's better to use the same reverb for all of them, IMO - that will kind of create an impression that they are in the same space.

With this reverb hardcoded into an IR, how do you achieve that? It'll be from some room where you can't do anything else, you don't even know where it is. And you can't add reverb to signal already containing reverb, I'm afraid. Neither can you adjust the mix to lower reverb level. Or length. Or anything.

Guess that's the whole point of close micing - to get rid of room influence and add it during mixing.
thats what he said:) and thats what logic says but there are no rules, use it live also if it works for you.

And all the rest you mention..a mix, aproach to it changes song to song, project to project, genre to genre...there are no set rules. If you are mixing a live recorded jazz combo, yes you would want all to sound in the same room. But with pop productions, electronic music, modern rock stuff etc...most of the time first off all it would not matter, and you would also experiment with bunch of stuff, ways beyond traditional approach. (not allways ofcourse)

Last edited:
thats what he said:) and thats whats logic says but there are no rules, use it live also if it works for you.

And all the rest you mention..a mix, aproach to it changes song to song, project to project, genre to genre...there is no set rule.
I agree, whatever works, works. But why would you want the sound of different room when playing live?
Maybe there are some uses, and I'm sure some of the tone geniuses here can figure out what they are, but I tend to believe Cliff when he says this is not necessarily a feature for live use. To each their own.

I agree, whatever works, works. But why would you want the sound of different room when playing live?
Maybe there are some uses, and I'm sure some of the tone geniuses here can figure out what they are, but I tend to believe Cliff when he says this is not necessarily a feature for live use. To each their own.
i personaly would not use it for live beside for my inear mix. and i wrote also this is ment for recording, not live. But still...no set rules

Last edited:
i would not use it for live beside for my inear mix. and i wrote also this is ment for recording, not live. But still...no set rules
Yeah. I don't think I'd even find it that useful for my IEMs. We'll see when we get the reports back from people who will undoubtedly try it. But I think it will still be a lot easier and more controllable just to use a little reverb on my IEM feed.
For those who use the AXE just to record, enjoy!

Yeah. I don't think I'd even find it that useful for my IEMs. We'll see when we get the reports back from people who will undoubtedly try it. But I think it will still be a lot easier and more controllable just to use a little reverb on my IEM feed.
For those who use the AXE just to record, enjoy!
I hear you but think of cases you don't want to dedicate a reverb block for room reverb. For my inears i use allways UA Oceanways if i have the apollo, computer rig with me.

Back
Top Bottom