Wish ADA MP-1

Was the MP-2 not a better MP-1?
Never had either, and I know the 1 was the famous unit, but to a poor kid at the time the 2 looked like an upgrade.
Why does no one gush for it?
I think by the time the 2 came out, there was more competition from Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Triaxis, etc.

Was the MP-2 not a better MP-1?
Never had either, and I know the 1 was the famous unit, but to a poor kid at the time the 2 looked like an upgrade.
Why does no one gush for it?
No, it was not. It sounded terrible. I bought it and returned it.

The BBE has been requested and overwhelmingly argued against by most users on here; I think the threads are old, maybe you could resurrect one and help fight the good fight. I disagree with the popular opinion and think it's a great tone shaping tool. I had the rack unit with balanced connections, the 862, and it was magic for my tone.
The BBE had its place, that place being in a distorted guitar rig. That is probably the only place it was really useful. Guitar sounds are lo fi by nature and do not run parallel with “hi fi” sounds and do not really follow the same rules as to what’s good and what isnt. The BBE in a mixing desk as a tone shaping tool is generally awful. In a guitar rig, it just fits better. Maybe it is the lack of full range monitoring thru a traditional guitar speaker, or maybe being the tone is twisted into overdrive. I still wouldn’t get one if I had the suicidal idea of building another guitar rig, but they’re not out of place in one, either.

I think I know why he didn't model the ADA MP-1, it would have sounded like shit. I had the chance to play one, and I was not impressed. I think the people that used it in the 80's had a massive amount of post processing done in order to make it sound decent. It sounded shrill to me, overly compressed, and noisy as hell!

I think I know why he didn't model the ADA MP-1, it would have sounded like shit. I had the chance to play one, and I was not impressed. I think the people that used it in the 80's had a massive amount of post processing done in order to make it sound decent. It sounded shrill to me, overly compressed, and noisy as hell!

Horrorscope by Overkill was recorded with one, and I think it's one of the greatest tones I've ever heard recorded. I found one of the guitarists, Merritt Gant, and asked what was used. He wrote: "Guitar rhythms are Ada mp1 preamp into carvin power amp into 4x12 Marshall 1960b. Triple tracked left right & center with 57s. Solos were laney head into 4x12. Bass was Peavey heads into 4x10 miked with DI blend." "I remember a lot of eq on the board."

Tesla also used them in the 80s at least, and they always had incredible tone.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I think the proper power amp and cabinet / speaker pairing may make a huge difference here. Or maybe the reason it took such heavy EQ for the Overkill album is that it actually did sound bad to begin with, and all that work was needed to make it palatable. I've never played one myself, but I've always been interested.

I used the MP-1 as my daily driver for years. I don't share your impressions at all. It sounded great, felt great, and was no noisier than any comparable preamp. I only got rid of it because it was no longer supported and I switched to the Mesa Triaxis. Whether or not the MP-1 is ever modeled, it was a great sounding preamp. Perhaps the one you tried had an issue. The MP-2 is another story entirely.

I used the MP-1 as my daily driver for years. I don't share your impressions at all. It sounded great, felt great, and was no noisier than any comparable preamp. I only got rid of it because it was no longer supported and I switched to the Mesa Triaxis. Whether or not the MP-1 is ever modeled, it was a great sounding preamp. Perhaps the one you tried had an issue. The MP-2 is another story entirely.
What kind of power amp did you use, I tried it hooked up to a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube rack poweramp.

I've owned a stupid amount of guitar tube preamps over the years and was jazzed when I came across a deal for two MP-1 preamps. I disliked them more than most any preamp I ever tried. One mans junk truly is anothers' treasure. Just like many thought the Klon would never be in a fractal product, I bet eventually the MP1 will make it...but hopefully after a GK bass amp :)

My mp1 sounded like doo doo, very thin, BBE helped, but everyone hates the bbe lol. When I worked at GC in the early 90's in LA we couldn't give them away. The mp1 and mp2 just sat in racks rotting. I wish he'd just add it to get it over with and everyone can go back to using the other amp they love.

When I worked at GC in the early 90's in LA we couldn't give them away. The mp1 and mp2 just sat in racks rotting.
So, you literally offered them to customers for absolutely free, and no one ever accepted your offer? You offered customers a free MP-1, and each and every one of them said no? Really?

So, you literally offered them to customers for absolutely free, and no one ever accepted your offer? You offered customers a free MP-1, and each and every one of them said no? Really?
It's a term used in sales. We did offer at cost and no bites. I sold roland gp16's easier. I think people romance things a bit. It literally does nothing that any of the other myriad of amps we have will do.

The hyperbole in this threat is amusing. It certainly wasn't the best preamp ever made. And it's certainly wasn't anywhere near the worst. I got great tones out of it, and it was ahead of its time in regards to MIDI implementation.

I'm already overwhelmed with the number of models available, so I don't really miss this particular one. But coming into this thread simply to dump on it and those who like it seems beneath everyone here.

The hyperbole in this threat is amusing. It certainly wasn't the best preamp ever made. And it's certainly wasn't anywhere near the worst. I got great tones out of it, and it was ahead of its time in regards to MIDI implementation.

I'm already overwhelmed with the number of models available, so I don't really miss this particular one. But coming into this thread simply to dump on it and those who like it seems beneath everyone here.
I'm not sure whose post you are referring to. There's been complete radio silence from Fractal regarding why this particular preamp was not modeled, in light of the overwhelming number of requests. I'm making a huge assumption, but I think its because they simply don't think it sounds good enough, or unique enough compared to the current roster of amp models. I don't think there are any technical limitations to model it. The big three MIDI preamps back in the day were ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, and Mesa Triaxis. We already have the Marshall and the Mesa.

I'm not sure whose post you are referring to. There's been complete radio silence from Fractal regarding why this particular preamp was not modeled, in light of the overwhelming number of requests. I'm making a huge assumption, but I think its because they simply don't think it sounds good enough, or unique enough compared to the current roster of amp models. I don't think there are any technical limitations to model it. The big three MIDI preamps back in the day were ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, and Mesa Triaxis. We already have the Marshall and the Mesa.
I'm referring to the hyperbole. People love to hate in colorful ways.

A raw MP-1 without extra effects and surgical EQ sounds as nasty as a milling machine cutting metal. Excellent for those who like that 🙉
I sold-off my MP-1 for the MP-2 when they came out. Played it through an Alesis Quadraverb GT and pair of ADA power amps to ADA 12" cabinets. This was in the mid '09s. I remember liking the sound at the time - not sure what I'd think of it now. Sold all of that the get the first version of the AXE-FX.

Back
Top Bottom