Acoustic Simulator first test

Sounds very useful! There's an essence of acoustic gtr yet hints of a sitar or mandolin but more toward mags.

Check out the sound of this custom Acoustic Simulator IR im working on.

Please leave feedback on what would you hear could be improved.

Very sorry for the input distortion when i strum hard.

Thanks.!

I think your preset sounds real good but it kind of sounds like my Acoustic electric plugged in but doesn't sound like a mic'ed acoustic. Your preset still sounds very usable and the dynamics and pick attack sound amazing.

Would you mind sharing your preset bc I do a lot of clean stuff?

It was made by some student at Stanford for a paper he was doing.

It has been around since the Ultra day. I sent the file to Cliff and he converted it to UltarRes.

I didn't. That IR has been around for a long time. This is the UltraRes version of it.

Using a mic or an acoustic pickup?

I would think either way would yield good results. I did mine after a particularly great sounding miced recording session. After hearing the recorded tone and having everything already set up, it just made sense to shoot the match. Now I have a great sounding acoustic guitar patch. I haven't tried the plugging in direct method only because Im not much a fan of my Martins piezo pickup sound, but Im sure it would work for that type of sound.

This is the way I did mine and it works great.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm in the process of building a Jazzmaster clone that includes a piezo bridge (Ghost saddles) and my intention is to tone match that to my Taylor acoustic. Should be interesting.

Using a mic or an acoustic pickup?

That's a good question. Also, I'd like to know what makes the tone match algorithm happy. Can I just play anything, or would it be better to give it a variety of single notes?

Thank guys for the comments.

The main goal for me with this is, Use my main guitar with humbuckers and use only an IR and some EQs.

By the ways those that have already achieved a good acoustic tone with your electric guitar please post a sample here, this would benefit all of use.

Thanks.

That's very good! Miles away from your starting point. My only criticism would be the pick attack - it's just a tad harsh to my ears. But, that's just me.

I m back .... Thanks Yek !
This turns into a thread hijack. My bad, sorry Nicolas!

Preset attached. You also need the attached IR (the Cab block links to it).
Preset consists of 2 scenes. Scene 1 is the emulated tone. Scene 2 is to amplify a real acoustic.

Scene 1 is a tweaked version of Cooper Carter/Larry Mitchell's "Acoustic" preset, with a cab/IR added for some resonance.
When using this live I tend to decrease the level of the bass frequencies in the GEQ block.

I preferred the first one actually! Well, with a little less verb etc... I feel the second one is heading towards banjo (which is as cool as it gets of course...
wink.gif
)

That's a good question. Also, I'd like to know what makes the tone match algorithm happy. Can I just play anything, or would it be better to give it a variety of single notes?

I tried tone matching humbuckers to my Fishman Aura pedal, as well as tone matching my Ghost piezos to the Aura. In my opinion, using the piezo matched to the Aura IR's sounds much better. The magnetic pickup scenario can work, but it just doesn't sound as real as using a piezo. Even when turning to mix 100% IR and not piezo.

I had similar results using an LTD with EMG pickups - sort of half way there... If there is a knack to getting it closer i'd like to know about it. Meanwhile i'm considering having a piezo installed.

I wonder if someone with the right gear, put a mic inside the acoustic and tone matched that, if it would do a better job of capturing the overtones coming from the hollow body box, rather than just capturing the sound of the strings, with mics placed outside the guitar? OR of course, a blend of the 2.

Back
Top Bottom