Acoustic Guitar Tone Match

I wanted to try something quickly, so I tone matched my acoustic guitar to a recording of the same guitar with a microphone. You can still hear the piezo in the tone matched recording, but it sounds fairly close. I added a PEQ block after the tonematch block to add a bit of low end, and I added a bit of reverb in the final mix on all three tracks.

AcousticMatch (Axe Fx II tone matching)

I wanted to try something quickly, so I tone matched my acoustic guitar to a recording of the same guitar with a microphone. You can still hear the piezo in the tone matched recording, but it sounds fairly close. I added a PEQ block after the tonematch block to add a bit of low end, and I added a bit of reverb in the final mix on all three tracks.

Sounds freakin' amazing mate! :) Definitely more realistic than the Piezo by itself!

OR, what if I mic'ed an acoustic guitar, used that as the Reference tone and then used the piezo output of my solid body electric guitar and used that as the Local tone? If that works, it would be HUGE!

I simply used my Taylor Nylon through its onboard ES system as the reference by setting the reference source as INPUT 1 and channel left. I then used several guitars for the Local even including modeled ones on the JTV-59. I just used the tube pre and the TMA block.

I clearly got my Nylon sound with some minor differing characteristics depending on the guitars. All very fun!!!

As a first try i was totally shocked (in a good way! :shock) I cannot wait to experiment more and get better at it.

Pretty darn good! The first part has a "hint" of the acoustic chamber tone which is also a key to matching acoustic tones. Maybe an acoustic cab ir may add this? .....however what you got will work for me!

Eliminating the Tube Pre from my grid has made my IRs of the Fishman Aura very usable. I still haven't gotten anything useful from tone matching. My TM of the recording I'm making of my own guitar with an SM58 is OK, but not great. I'm going to borrow a mic from a friend this week & try it again. My TM of an acoustic guitar recording (first 7 seconds of Jeremy Camp's Revive Me) gives me something more like a banjo sound than an acoustic guitar.

I got good results without any amp block, just with comp => filter => graphic EQ => parametric EQ. And with the tone match it's even better but I didn't save any preset yet, I was just testing. I'll upload something tomorrow, as I'm at work all day today (it's 8:12 AM here in Mauritius)

Well, I've gotten better results with a GEQ & a cab with an IR, but now I remember the other reason for using an amp - stereo inputs. I run the magnetic pickups into the front Instrument In & the piezos into the rear Input 1 Right. My guitar synth goes into Input 2 (Left & Right). Without an amp in the piezo chain, the IR cab gets applied to both input channels and changes the sound of the magnetic pickups.

So, now I've had to add a Volume/Pan block to the piezo grid so that I can select Right channel only. In the end, a clean preamp would give me the level increase, EQ, and channel selection I need.

If I could get a good Tone Match, I could use that with just the Volume/Pan block in front of it.

That sounds really nice! Try dropping in a filter and cutting out a modest swath around 7 KHz to tame the remaining piezo twang.

]

Forget the Tube pre. Just use a PEQ you can add gain and EQ in one (low CPU) block. Simple...

Which works fine if you are only using 1 input signal. As I posted above, I use both the magnetic pickups and the piezos as 2 inputs to the Axe so I can use one or the other or both in a song. I can't use Input 2 for the piezos because I run my guitar synth into that.

To do what I want, I need an amp block or a Volume/Pan block & an EQ block.

awesome!!! would this also work with the 12-string intro on Hotel California?
~Jeff

Back
Top Bottom