Acoustic Guitar Tone Match

Phostenix

Power User
After watching the how-to video, it occurs to me (I'm a little slow sometimes) that this new TM feature is doing what the Fishman Aura does for acoustic guitars. Except that you can now do it yourself.

Has anyone tried mic'ing their acoustic guitar and using that signal as the Reference channel and then taking the piezo output of their acoustic and using that as the Local channel?

OR, what if I mic'ed an acoustic guitar, used that as the Reference tone and then used the piezo output of my solid body electric guitar and used that as the Local tone? If that works, it would be HUGE!

Dude, I need to borrow your Bourgeois guitar for an afternoon. Lol

This is going to add an awesome dimension to out pallet.
Let's hear some attempts.

(I am in recovery from nerve surgery on my fretting arm elbow and wrist and am temporarily arm lame for a few more weeks to months - will do my Martin DC-28 and my 79' Taylor 555 - 12 string ASAP.)

I've gathered my Behringer ECM800 & 802 mixer. I have my Fender acoustic (I know, but I like it & it was a gift :p ). I have my Peavey Impact Milano (think poor man's PRS SE) with the Ghost system in it. I have a mostly quiet man cave.

And now I have to eat dinner. All this eating & sleeping really gets in the way of my Axe time.

I was wondering something similar ... could I take a recording of an acoustic guitar, and tone match it to my piezo?

Well, here's where I'm at:

It actually sounds better than the IR's I captured of my Aura, but I still can't get the EQ quite right. There's a certain hollowness that I can't get rid of.
I had better results with an SM58 vocal mic than I did with the ECM800.
The piezo output worked better than Strat single coils (hey, it was worth a try).

I'll keep trying.

I did this today. Acoustic guitar tone matching is AMAZING!! I there I was thinking I'd never use this feature...

Yes it's amazing. Works with great recording of acoustic guitars, you don't need a real acoustic. Ayone can suggest a great recorded acoustic sound ?

Wish there was a way to do this without having to use a piezo pickup in a guitar, instead with a electric guitar pickup... Otherwise, for acoustic tones, you are just making a homemade acoustic IR (essentially)

Last edited:
Wish there was a way to do this without having to use a piezo pickup in a guitar, instead with a electric guitar pickup... Otherwise, for acoustic tones, you are just making a homemade acoustic IR (essentially)
I have a standard electric guitar, no piezo, and it works

Yes it's amazing. Works with great recording of acoustic guitars, you don't need a real acoustic. Ayone can suggest a great recorded acoustic sound ?

Unlike electric, there's a great deal of solo acoustic music out there. Some of my favorite players and tones are: Tommy Emmanuel, Michael Hedges, Tony McManus, Andy McKee, Alex DeGrassi, Pierre Bensusan, Pat Metheny, the list goes on and on. All those listed players have many solo guitar songs/albums. These guys all have a variety of strummed, fingerpicked, and other techniques to choose from.

You could also go with several of the rock players who dabble in acoustic: Steve Howe, Alex Lifeson, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Steven Wilson (that opening strum from "Trains" by P. Tree is quite nice), there are so many.

I'm going to be trying this out shortly.

I've spent hours & hours on this now trying to get it right. What I've got now is better than I was ever able to get with the Fishman Aura (there are no sound files to convert solid body electrics to sound like real acoustics), but it's still not great. Yes, it works - even with electric pups - but there's a hollowness that I can't get rid of. It sounds like an acoustic guitar, but not a great one. I really want to nail this & so far I'm coming up short.

OK, what I've discovered is that the Tube Pre amp model is mid-scooped to some degree. The hollowness I'm fighting is from the pre amp. If I play music into Input 1 rear through just the Tube Pre with all defaults settings, it has the hollow sound I'm trying to get rid of with my acoustic (piezo) sound.

I'll try fiddling with it some more now that I know that, but does anyone know if any of the other amps have a very transparent preamp? I need the gain of *some* amp model, but I'd like it to not color the piezo sound at all, if possible.

you can use the FET boost instead of the tube pre. very clean.

i tried matching the intro guitar from PT's Trains. i have graphtech saddles, which already sound very good and i'm using a blend of one of the fishman aura ir's for body. it turned out pretty good actually. i'm now using the TM block in my patch with about 50% depth.

This is a TM from Endless Road by Tommy Emmanuel. I'm using the Tube Pre and I'm playing a Maton EBG808 with a bridge piezo. Tommy's guitar has a mic inside the body, although I imagine he recorded this with mics in the studio. His live sound is really good as well and that's all piezo/body mic, he doesn't use separate mics at all live. I'm really happy with the tone compared to what I used to get with essentially the same chain (compressor, tube pre, reverb).

Attachments

• TM Endless Road .syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom