Implemented A Klon-type Drive block

that's the jist of it. also does negative feedback apparently. But the "filtered clean signal mixed in after the gain"...that's just parallel distortion, all the drive blocks can do that, super fun

View attachment 67441

it’s also a non true bypass pedal, so even when turned off it would make other pedals etc after it sound different, and by different I mean “better” because some stuff actually does sound subjectively better after a buffer, be it a cheap Boss pedal or a Klon.

of course most people paying Klon money also drank the “I’m going to wire my entire board as true bypass” and that many pedals and no buffers actually didn’t sound great, so they unwittingly got a buffer in there and though “wow, the Klon does something magic to my tone that is worth $xxx” but typically they’re going to hear that in any old buffer pedal.

so years ago M@ suggested using the fet boost, with the clip type set to silicon, the high cut at around 6.5khz and mid eq set to +1. with drive at 6 and level at 7, it makes for a very nice boost. you can use the low cut to tidy up the bottom end as well.
i'd be interested to see the tone match eq curve for the centura
forgot how good this sounded!

just ran this (plus mix on 50% to capture the above mentioned mix of clean signal) into a 5F8 tweed and lost an hour or two farting around

So.... Forget the Klon... the reasons are known.
Maybe the Soul Food or Archer.... :)

It's not gonna happen, if it was there'd be something Klon-ish in the Fractal

Search through the forum, there's lots of options for something Klon-ish in whatever your favourite flavour of Klon

With the drive updates I'm still really missing a Klon clone. Some of the FET Boost settings seem close, but not as good or flexible as a real model. And one of the problems with all these FET Boost settings is drive updates could change the sound. A lot of tail chasing and it still seems like something is missing compared to my lowly Soul Food in the loop. IMO it seems like it is time to leave the past in the past and fill this hole.

With the drive updates I'm still really missing a Klon clone. Some of the FET Boost settings seem close, but not as good or flexible as a real model. And one of the problems with all these FET Boost settings is drive updates could change the sound. A lot of tail chasing and it still seems like something is missing compared to my lowly Soul Food in the loop. IMO it seems like it is time to leave the past in the past and fill this hole.

Many claim the SoukFood isn’t one of the better Klones, so if your saying the FET boost doesn’t sound like your SoulFood that doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound like a Klon because an actual Klon won’t sound Just like your SoulFood either.......

The FET boost can beat identical to a Centura; which is one of the best klones in the market

Many claim the SoukFood isn’t one of the better Klones, so if your saying the FET boost doesn’t sound like your SoulFood that doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound like a Klon because an actual Klon won’t sound Just like your SoulFood either.......

The FET boost can beat identical to a Centura; which is one of the best klones in the market
I'm not suggesting the Soul Food is one of the better Klon clones, I really don't know. I would happily take any one of the better clones in the III. The Klon in the Helix was was one of the highlights on that unit. I used it a lot because it was super simple to get great tone out of it. It might be possible to tweak the FET to get close, but all the examples I've downloaded or tried so far have left me feeling meh. I'd rather have a simpler solution, like an actual Klon type pedal in the box.

I've read many reviews which claim otherwise. :)

Either it’s closer, or the Tummus, Centura, ARC etc are, but they certainly do have some different character, which one may find better or worse.

I really liked the Centura, didn’t care so much for the Soul Food, but never owned an original, but have played a few, and of course “original” isn’t a fixed target as there were various changes over the years so perhaps depends what they attempted to “kopy”

It’s like the EHX muff reissues.... they picked a specific triangle, but there are tons of triangle examples that sounded different, so it’s obviously not going to sound like any and all....

Centura was best of all the ones I’ve owned as far as klones go though and I ultimately sold it as I was getting so close in the box it didn’t seem worth keeping

Guitar Center and Musician's Friend have them for $150.
I seriously doubt cost is the driving reason. I think it’s because every rose has its thorn. Nevertheless, they are cool pedals useful in some situations. Would be nice if the premier modeler included a version of a pedal highly regarded by many. 🤟

It's time. Cliff should just release a new product:

The FAS Mythical Figure
A modeled Overdrive-Only Pedal to satisfy every possible Klon Lust:
  • Contains models/param-tweaks sufficient to replace every known Klon or Klone
  • Fractal-quality components and sonic fidelity
  • Available in gold, silver, or dark-red chassis
  • Two footswitches, mode-switchable for multiple uses (e.g., preset up & down, on/bypass & favorite preset A/B toggle)
  • 99 presets (all user-editable) w/2 digit LED preset indicator
  • Illuminated soft-knobs for model selection and control of every parameter
  • Comes with switchable magnetic decorative label-plates depicting your choice of Mythological Creature (in-the-box options include: Faun, Centaur, Sphynx, Minotaur, or New Forum User Who Doesn't Wonder Why There's No Klon in the Axe III).

Suggested Retail Price $199

;)

Last edited:
I just ordered a KTR. I'm not making any promises as the topology doesn't fit any of our existing topologies but I'll see what I can do.

Thank you - I don't think we can say fairer than that.

I had a KTR for years, really liked it - more than I wanted to admit ;)

Back
Top Bottom