Implemented A Klon-type Drive block

Did we not just do this yesterday?
It was more of an inquiry and now it's full-fledged in the wish list. I understand a little more now why Cliff won't put a Klon in the thing, but people also need to realize that all the various approximations don't come close to even a basic klone. Everyone who points to this or that setting or tutorial or whatever - it just isn't the same. And most of us don't want to have to run outboard gear, especially just for one pedal that could easily* be emulated.

*Realize I have no idea how hard or easy it is to emulate it; but the fact that there are a zillion klones and even Line 6 has a model lends incredible creedence to the idea that it is very possible and obviously hasn't been omitted because they CAN'T do it.

Gues we're just not at critical mass for the request yet :(

In any case, +1. Not for the Tumus Deluxe, but for a simple 3-knob klone (although with the drive block as its basis, it would put the TD to shame in its depth and tweakability lol!)

Why an emulation of a copy as well? Why not base it on the real pedal, or any of the other copies like a Centura, or an Archer, or Ikon or _________
Completely agree. Any of the above would be fine by me. hell, i've never even played a real klon. I'm second generation in the matrix. I've only heard stories of what chicken tastes like... Make the model after a Chellee Ponyboy for all I care :D

There should be a Klon drive in the lll.

My choice would be the Wampler Tumnus.
So are you asking for a Klon or a clone? Because there is the Klon Centaur and then there are all the clones.

If you're ok with a clone (sounds like you are) then you're more likely to get the wish by wishing for that thing specifically...

I've been here since 2013 but the "Klon Taboo" predates me, so I don't know the origin... But it exists here :)

Edit: just noticed the subject says "Klon type"...

I tried to tweak the FET Boost but would rather the Real Deal Holyfield

So you want the real deal, but not the real, real deal, because the Tumnus doesn’t sound exactly like a real Klon.

So we could say you don’t even want a Klon, you want a Tumnus, no?

But if you don't know what a real Klon sounds like, how would you know when you got one?

Because we play with our eyes, not our ears, all too often.

We need to spin a dial of drive types and see those four magic letters....”Klon”

We don’t need to even know what it’s suppsoed to sound like, just know it’s expensive, and therefore it must be good.

I bet if you disgusted a range of pedals, from a real Klon, to things like a $20 Chinese Golden Horse, few people could pick out the real pedal by ear. But, if you told people which was which, most would claim to hear soemthing special in the pedal they knew was $1500. Funny how that works lol

I’d love to see Cliff come out one day and tell the works there has been one there all along, he just didn’t want to call it by name.

For years folks could of been passing over said drive type, wishing for a Klon, and they had it the whole time. Provably tried it and didn’t like the sound even lol.

For years folks could of been passing over said drive type, wishing for a Klon, and they had it the whole time. Provably tried it and didn’t like the sound even lol.
It's possible, of course, but unless I'm alone in this, I don't typically pick drives I'm not familiar with. That's probably a discredit toward my adventurousness, but it's just how I design my tone.

In all seriousness, though, I wonder if you're right - maybe requesting one of the klones would yield better results. Maybe Cliff has the thing designed and all ready to go if someone would just admit they want a klone and don't give a damn if it's the "real thing" or not because, like I said - and I'm sure as hell not alone here - I've never played the real thing, but I have played a hundred klones and love them all and don't care which one gets in the box.

I've been here since 2013 but the "Klon Taboo" predates me, so I don't know the origin... But it exists here :)

I'd love to know what it's all about. Silly mythology aside, the Klon really is a great tool that many players have found a use for and the Axe-FX would benefit from including one. Is it because people would end up comparing it to closely to their real "gold horsie" Klon and find it's slightly different and start complaining? Or is it just to spite that one guy who threw his dummy out because Fractal didn't grant him his Klon wish years ago?

I know it's impossible to get into this without stirring it up and that is not my intention; I'm genuinely curious.

A particular troll came out from under his bridge and beat the drum for this model in a most ungracious and cantankerous manner, even taking the Klon Wars outside the forum. The worst of internet trashiness. The pedal has been that "He who shall not be named" in the Wish List ever since, not so much for anyone's request that it be, but for me personally as a token of respect for FAS, and the abuse endured over it.

In the end, it is one pedal, and a pedal the overwhelming majority of us have never personally used. I wouldn't know I was listening to it unless someone told me. The creator of the Klon demonstrates several versions here:
which is as close to playing one as I have gotten! Unfortunately some people have become very childish, tantrum throwing individuals when told no. Such is our world.

That's my take only, not as a spokesman for anyone but me.

That settles it then; Cliff could blow everyone's mind by including modes that cop the feel/tone of all the major variations! My thing is, just because I've never played a real one, it doesn't mean I don't live and die by my klone(s) (ie, Tumnus, Mythical OD, Chellee Ponyboy, etc.). It's disappointing that 'he who shall not be named' of the house of Tacky Awful Ugly Guitar could ruin it for the rest of us :(

Think people need to remember is that just because there is a drive block that says “_____” doesn’t mean it’s going to be an uncanny reproduction that satisfies 99.9% of users of the real pedal.

I mean, there is a block called Fuzz Face, and while it’s good, it sure doesn’t replace, or behave, like a good germanium fuzz. A lot of users still complain it’s not “there yet”, still use a real pedal etc.

Part of the Klon Magic is the always on buffer and how that interacts with other pedals in a chain, even if it’s bypassed. Can’t really reproduce that exactly with a drive block in the box.

There are some other modelers that do have a Klon type setting, and I don’t see anyone raving about them, the hardware pedal market isn’t hitting etc.

You can call it whatever you want, but if it doesn’t have the sound, response etc I get from my preferred settings on the pedal, what good is it? Will it stack with my fuzz and respond the same way?

Can’t hurt to have it, but I think a lot of people are also setting themselves up for disappointment, and when they actually try it they’ll be like “Klons suck, I’m sticking with my FET boost” lol

There should be a Klon drive in the lll.
My choice would be the Wampler Tumnus.

Should be according to who? There have been cyclically repeated asks for this specific model which is hardly distinguishable to 99% of whatever audience you will play to, and yet such commotion about that sound.

FAS has their reasons based on principle, the community has asked, the answer is no, proceed to moving on to 37 other Drive models that sound as good or better than some relic that is indistinguishable.

giphy.gif

When have we become un-acquainted with the simple concept of no.

#MoveAlongAndEnjoyAZenMaster

PSA Disclaimer - not meant to be argumentative or rude, simply stated a Klon will not make the Axe-FX III 'better' or 'great' because it already is without it.

PSA Solution - buy one on eBay and loop it into your signal chain, done.

Back
Top Bottom