Implemented A Klon-type Drive block

One of the things I liked best about the Helix was the Klon. It really did sound great and I found a lot of uses for it. Sure wish Fractal would just add the real deal and possibly one of the most interesting clones.

I had an original Klon gold pedal. It was the first boutique pedal I bought and it was fantastic. It was great as a cleanish boost and as a midrange heavy clearer tube screamerish low to mid gain pedal. I wish I still had it. I sold it when it reached what I thought was the exorbitant price of $600. For me it worked best as Bill says, into an already cranked amp just starting to break up. At the time I had a Matchless Chieftain and a PRS McCarty and the sound of the Matchless turned up with the Klon into it was magnificent.

Unfortunately there were very few gigs I played where cranking that combo was possible. It was not a pedal I liked just to get its own sound without the amp pushing a bit already. Blended great with amp pushed, but seemed a bit obviously overlaid and not integrated without amp turned up (as is the case with many pedals). Wish I could try it now using my Waza Amp Expander (fantastic piece of gear) and various amps as well as into my III. What I liked about the Klon was the clarity retained and the fact that the tone knob was not just a roll off. It was treble boost or cut. When you gained up you needed the boost because the clipping would roll off so many highs. Gained down it was just a great tone control.

No idea why Cliff has not put one in Axe. It does seem like one of the most obvious and desirable pedals to put in there. Based on his emulations of Dumble and Trainwreck which are kind of the amp equivalents of the out-of-reach for mortals Klon it would seem to be a no brainer, so clearly he must have his reasons.

I've had a few Klons over the years. I sold them when the KTR came out - it sounds identical to me. I got stupid money for the Klons so I was happy. It's my favorite drive pedal for sure.

Does seem such a glaring omission that it makes you wonder if it’s a personal/principle thing. I’d love to have a Klon or even Klone (Archer for me) in there. My FM3 (and my Axe FX 2 before that) is great without it but it would be nice to have.

Like others here, I've owned several of the originals back in the days when they were relatively affordable. Great pedal, wish it was in the AF3, sold both of mine happily to help buy my Axe rig.

Pretty much any highly regarded Klone would be great. But it’s always nice to to try the original ;)

Back a few years a memeber Groovenut (I think) posted tonematches of a Klon style pedal. I went through my old files and found these blocks. Not at my gear right now so I can't test them. But, if I remember correctly, they were TMA blocks of the pedal, at "clean" setting and on at "boosted". I wanna say they sounded best after a clean boost block like the FET Boost....It's been a while. I have them saved as IRs in my library and used them in the IR player block.
Not sure if these are helpful or not but haven't seen these mentioned in all the Klon threads.

Attachments

• Klon Boos_20161015_140443.blk
    213 bytes · Views: 15
  • KLON_20151212_142208.blk
    314 bytes · Views: 13
allow me to introduce you clowns to the drive block mix knob. Put that beeotch on 50%, now every drive in there is Klon-ville, but better. It's just parallel distortion paths making the voodoo, that's why it's so weird sounding and elusive to imitate, depending on what register you're playing in, the drive circuits distort differently in parallel depending on where you are on the fretboard and the distortion mixes together always in different ways, it's just parallel distortion. Either one drive block with the mix knob somewhere between 0% and 100% or multiple drive blocks in parallel, can't screw it up. plus you can change the diodes. or pre-eq the gain stages, plus it's free.

allow me to introduce you clowns to the drive block mix knob. Put that beeotch on 50%, now every drive in there is Klon-ville, but better. It's just parallel distortion paths making the voodoo, that's why it's so weird sounding and elusive to imitate, depending on what register you're playing in, the drive circuits distort differently in parallel depending on where you are on the fretboard and the distortion mixes together always in different ways, it's just parallel distortion. Either one drive block with the mix knob somewhere between 0% and 100% or multiple drive blocks in parallel, can't screw it up. plus you can change the diodes. or pre-eq the gain stages, plus it's free.

thanks for this! A top secret revealed!

So are you asking for a Klon or a clone? Because there is the Klon Centaur and then there are all the clones.

If you're ok with a clone (sounds like you are) then you're more likely to get the wish by wishing for that thing specifically...

I've been here since 2013 but the "Klon Taboo" predates me, so I don't know the origin... But it exists here :)

Edit: just noticed the subject says "Klon type"...
Hey UG,
Yes it was pretty weird back a ways.....Stranger Things tbh...........................

that's the jist of it. also does negative feedback apparently. But the "filtered clean signal mixed in after the gain"...that's just parallel distortion, all the drive blocks can do that, super fun

20200514_063041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom