80mm fan in Axe FX II

Ibaneijs

Anyone any experience with the new 80mm fan?
I've opened up my Axe FXII and inside I find a pretty noisy "Top Motor DF128015BL Fan, by Dynaeon Industrial Co. LTD, Made in China".
I cannot find any specs on this fan. Does anyone know what 80mm fan would be a good replacement?
2012-08-23 16.54.00.jpg

I believe it was a recent change to help with noise. If it's really noisy it's probably a bum fan.

I thought they were 60mm fans. Is that a recent change or has the II always been 80mm?

They had been shipping with 60mm fans which some people felt were too loud.
Most all 60mm fans that push any air at all are loud. The quiet ones do not push any air and you could overheat components.
Some folks did put in 80mm fans on their own which are quieter.
The bigger the fan allows to push more air with lower fan speed which is quieter.
I was not aware FAS had switched. That pic definitively shows an 80mm fan.

Last edited:
Will we be able to buy new covers with mounts for the 80mm fans for our old AxeII's? I'd be willing to order & prepay or participate in a group buy if there's a noticeable noise difference.

Will we be able to buy new covers with mounts for the 80mm fans for our old AxeII's? I'd be willing to order & prepay or participate in a group buy if there's a noticeable noise difference.
FAS has not mentioned anything about it.

To some degree the noise is a subjective issue. People have different opinions.
For me- the noise seems loud, but I am in a very silent home studio environment and use a silent PC build.
Others could care less.

So, I have a few questions about the whole noise issue overall.

1. Has the Axe-Fx II changed at all with regard to its fans and/or how loud it is since its original release?

2. How loud is it currently, relative to an Axe-Fx Ultra?

3. With 3rd party fans, how quiet can the Axe-Fx II safely be made to be now?

Thanks!

The ones that come with the Axe from G66 are silent. Do not know what type it is, but it is the same size as the one Fractal ships.

There have been LOADS of discussion on this so do a little search ;)

I know that there are loads of discussions about the fan. These discussions are mainly about the Axe FX (I) and Ultra and not about the Axe FXII. Because I couldn't find any conversation about the new 80mm fans that are stock now, I felt the need to open this thread.

My Axe II is from G66 (purchased in june 2012). The Top Motor DF128015BL fan was already in it and no mods were made to the cover, so I guess they ship with 80mm fans now. I've had the Ultra before and replaced the fan with a Silenx IXP 34-16. The Ultra was much more quiet then. The Axe II sounds almost like a hovercraft. (OK, exaggerated, but the fan is definitely more noisy than all other computer devices, fans etc. in my home studio.

Can anyone tell what the preferred CFM was in case of the 60mm fan? Then I will look for a similar 80mm fan.

I'm thinking about the Silenx IXP 52-11 (11dba/18cfm) or the IXP 54-14 (14dba/24cfm), but I am not sure if the 52-11 will deliver enough airflow to keep my Axe cool enough.

Last edited:
My II from G66 is extremely quiet. Just contact G66 about your noise problem and it will likely soon be solved.

I know that there are loads of discussions about the fan. These discussions are mainly about the Axe FX (I) and Ultra and not about the Axe FXII. Because I couldn't find any conversation about the new 80mm fans that are stock now, I felt the need to open this thread.

My Axe II is from G66 (purchased in june 2012). The Top Motor DF128015BL fan was already in it and no mods were made to the cover, so I guess they ship with 80mm fans now. I've had the Ultra before and replaced the fan with a Silenx IXP 34-16. The Ultra was much more quiet then. The Axe II sounds almost like a hovercraft. (OK, exaggerated, but the fan is definitely more noisy than all other computer devices, fans etc. in my home studio.

Can anyone tell what the preferred CFM was in case of the 60mm fan? Then I will look for a similar 80mm fan.

I'm thinking about the Silenx IXP 52-11 (11dba/18cfm) or the IXP 54-14 (14dba/24cfm), but I am not sure if the 52-11 will deliver enough airflow to keep my Axe cool enough.

I would stay away from the Silenxs they don't seem to push the air they claim. The Top Motor DF128015BL is rated at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28.6CFM.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Ultra could get away with minimal cooling, the II needs more.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, Fractal stated that swapping out your fan voids the warranty of the II. I would really just contact G66 as Trazan suggested.[/FONT]

That Top Motor fan is very good. I would just check the mounts. Maybe it's not tightened uniformly.

From Corsair AF & SP Series Computer Case Cooling Fans Showcase & Review NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube just yesterday I learned there are fans optimized for "static pressure" or for "airflow / CFM".

It seems to me you need the first kind in the Axe, because it is so close to the board, and that might make the CFM figures less important than often being the sole subject here?
(of course, fans are always a combo of the two, but still wondering now...)

I presume Cliff would know this, but most people don't.
The airflow/CFM fans are for PC intakes and outtakes, where air is free to flow.
When there is any resistance nearby, like a heatsink, you need the static pressure optimized ones.
Anyway, it was interesting to *me*... :)

BTW, there's an interesting guy or two on silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers w regard to fans. They are fanatically into that.

That Top Motor fan is very good. I would just check the mounts. Maybe it's not tightened uniformly.

I found the 60mm Top Motor to be just slightly quieter than the Hui Tong, and with an even more intrusive pitch. I tried tightening it and loosening it to no avail--the sound couples right through the mounting studs.

Danny W.

I am one of those guys that has been on the Silent PC forums for years and yes it gets a little crazy over there.
Just built a new Ivybridge machine that is totally dead quiet and runs cool. Uses two 140mm fans in box and two 140mm fans on CPU.

As for any 60mm fan that is pushing any real air-the rpms are simply going to create some noise.
It is the nature of the beast. Does not bother some people-others it drives crazy.
The "quiet" 60mm fans do not do much as they are small to begin with and run at low rpm which is only way to get them quiet.
The two processors in the AXE II need more air flow than the what the AXE Ultra did.
Use a "quiet" 60mm at your own risk.

Going to almost any 80mm fan will be quieter. Maybe G66 is doing that now.
If yours is loud, chat with them.

As for swapping out a 60 mm fan for an 80mm-plenty of threads about it here.
Read up on it. Does void warranty.

They had been shipping with 60mm fans which some people felt were too loud.
Most all 60mm fans that push any air at all are loud. The quiet ones do not push any air and you could overheat components.
Some folks did put in 80mm fans on their own which are quieter.
The bigger the fan allows to push more air with lower fan speed which is quieter.
I was not aware FAS had switched. That pic definitively shows an 80mm fan.

I believe FAS switched over from the 60mm to the 80mm fan sometime in late March/early April of this year.

In my near silent running axe fx 2 from g66 is a fan called , Revoltec Cooling airguard 60mm.

I hope this is suitable, javajunkie?

Back
Top Bottom