8 years of looking for a 2nd guitarist. Settled on a keyboard player. (for now)

fromthebark

Experienced
i've been looking for a second guitarist since I started my band 10 years ago. (we broke up for 5 years and just got back together like 6 months ago) We are like Propagandhi (Thrash prog metal punk - they rule if you're looking for a new heavy smart prog band) / Zappa / QOTSA / Meets the jamming of Umphrey's Mcgee. And I think we just made the decision to tune down to D to sound a little more ominous and heavy, and make it easier for me to sing (I smoked too much. Quit now but I had a great on the pitch scream/sing that I sort of lost. It will come back the more we practice im sure)

Everyone you approach about playing guitar is either a novice, or the good guitarists that can handle our insane riffs is already scooped up in a band already. It'd really be nice to not have to play arpeggios and sing vocals at the same time.. fromthebark.bandcamp.com - I forgot we even had this.. it's like 6 years old. I'd say we're punk inspired prog rock that will play a moody blues song if it feels right... I really have strived hard to be the genreless band. Those three songs are 3 of our more rocking tunes though.

I actually do have a few patches in the axe, i've made with the harmonizer, Custom shift, and dotted 8th delays (the edge) that really fill up the spaces nicely when two guitars would be more apt to interplay and do their thing.

We just got a keyboard player though. He is not familiar with this style of music at all, but he has a Moog mini phatty and a nice weighted key korg that does it all.., I think he's just gonna be doing a lot of sawtooth lines during breaks on the moog, and either gritty electric piano or a B3 leslie sound to just play the chords and fill up the sound during verses and choruses, unless we come up with some cool harmony riffs.. It's only been a week so we don't really know yet. He's an amazing player, like prodigy style kinda kid.. but he's used to playing Bach and Mozart pieces. He is good at jamming funk grooves and stuff so he has the funk within him, therefore I don't worry that we made a bad decision. Just gonna take some time. So I am responsible to leading him into the world of blood sweat and shred.. I've been listening to a lot of queens of the stone age and umphrey's mcgee, really honing in on how they incorporate keys into their heavier songs. mostly the moog playing a Gnarly buzzsaw bass line, or just following the guitars with a rhodes or piano, overdriven a little bit.
Any other heavier bands that have keys I can listen to and see how they use it in their music?

I think Between the Buried and Me, the singer plays keys, but very sparingly... The eagles of death metal I think has a piano.. NIN.. which is almost all synth.. half the time.. I'd love to get some NIN patches for my arturia synths. Though I'm sure someone has written down intricate settings for real moogs somewhere on the internet to get that thick buzzsaw, but not harsh lead NIN'ish patch.
Check out the bands i listed above as our influences if you're not familiar.. I'm not really looking for Djent bands at all.. We're not heavy in that sense. We do beatles covers too. Maybe I should go back to the 70s and listen to some ELP, genesis, Rush... All those prog rock bands with the Gigantic Modular Moogs. But they sound a bit cheesy today. They worked then, of course.. I'm not knocking them, I love them, but We're going for a fresher more original sound. So I guess I'm just asking for help, what are some newer bands that are Rocking, not HEAVY METAL Or DJENT, and use keyboards, and they work and sound great.
Thanks guys!

Here's two other tracks that are still in the pre-production stages, I dont think they have bass.. but they are our "newer" sound. The guitars are definitely just scratch for now til I really get a good tone.. I wonder if I can use the SVT and push it hard with an overdrive with a guitar and get a tone similar to Josh Homme from Queens of the stone age.. since he used Ampeg bass amps from the 70s and still does.. I don't know, I'll try today though.

sorry noticed that link went to the same song above it. hopefully it's fixed now

Last edited:
Sorry bout my rant.. like i said. morning adderall dose. I could've written a novel but i spared you. be thankful :cool:

Really digging the Soundcloud stuff, too. Though, I think my favorite song is "Do You Hear Bells?" on the Bandcamp link. I also second the Mike Keneally suggestion. He switches between keys and guitar a lot and kicks ass on both. I know at one point he was Steve Vai's 2nd guitarist and had no problem keeping up with him. Got his start on Zappa's last tour in '88, and I think he tours with Satriani now.

Really digging the Soundcloud stuff, too. Though, I think my favorite song is "Do You Hear Bells?" on the Bandcamp link. I also second the Mike Keneally suggestion. He switches between keys and guitar a lot and kicks ass on both. I know at one point he was Steve Vai's 2nd guitarist and had no problem keeping up with him. Got his start on Zappa's last tour in '88, and I think he tours with Satriani now.
Been touring with Satch for at least 4-5 years now.

He often plays keys and guitar simultaneously... Harmonizing with himself! And can also sing at same time!

Been touring with Satch for at least 4-5 years now.

He often plays keys and guitar simultaneously... Harmonizing with himself! And can also sing at same time!
I totally didn't realize it had been that long, but I remember listening to Unstoppable Momentum when it came out in '13 and really digging the quirkyness that Mike brought to Satch's band.

I totally didn't realize it had been that long, but I remember listening to Unstoppable Momentum when it came out in '13 and really digging the quirkyness that Mike brought to Satch's band.
Agreed... He plays some really beautiful piano stuff!

I attended The G4 Experience a couple years ago and got to see Mike perform with Joe from about 10 ft away. Amazing!

I stood next to Mike during an Animals as Leaders performance and he just rocked out like any other music fan.

During one of the Satch shows there, the band played a tribute to some famous musician who had died the day before (Chris Squire maybe?). Mike sang BB's The Thrill is Gone and was my favorite performance of the whole week... AND he killed it on guitar and keys, too!

Dunno if a Keneally appreciation thread is what the OP had in mind,but..I started it, I guess....His online blogs about the beginnings of his post Frank career with Joe Travers ,
Beller, and Dweezil are really interesting...
One of the great regrets of my Zappa-obsesssed life was being stuck on a cruise ship gig while Frank did his (what we did not know was) last tour in '88 with Mike in his first major rock role.

I forgot about one of my favorite bands and close friends Of mine , rx bandits , who their guitarist Steve switches between shredding guitar and the keyboard like 50/50, and he's a damn prodigy.. they started out as a third wave ska punk band and now they are like mature brilliant progressive rock with a deep groove and soul for years, and their keys never sound cheesy, they're always slick classy and rockin and it's usually either just a Rhodes tone or a distorted lead moog sort of tone.

If you haven't heard of rx bandits.. I'd imagine the have a band camp so I'll just write the link and assume it works
Suggested starting point: .. and the battle begun, their two newer albums are also brilliant, but that's when they really found their sound.
https://rxmusic.bandcamp.com/

I think Fair To Midland: Fables from a Mayfly could be interesting for you. Hard music but excellent example of how keys can contribute to the riffs and climax with beautiful choruses. That Bach touch of his could really pay off. :)

I know you mentioned Umphrey's already, but two other progressive/jam bands to check are Phish and moe.. Both have keys... Although both are more jam than progressive.

Also Snarky Puppy, while much more jazz, have amazing keys all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom