700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

So if there are these disadvantages with 9.04, what are the advantages? Surely there must be some? (I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, but since there is all this talk about it here....). For me personally I am waiting for my AX8 which I have paid for and I am told the latest batch has landed here in Australia, and we're waiting for Customs clearance. I will be buying a couple of Austin Buddy's packs. But now I need info to decide which is the best firmware version, taking everything into account.

Firmware 9.x adds a new parameter called SPKR COMP in the amp block. It adds additional
Compression to the preset sound. Default was at 3.00 in 9.02 if I recall correctly. I leave it off myself for the TonePack. If you add it in, you will need to raise the level to compensate for the gain loss from added compression.

Fiirmware 8.02 is brighter with more detailed upper mids. The SPKR COMP and some other things Cliff did to the power amp algorithm changed the tonality, it is less bright. Not saying that is bad, to each to their own taste. The string definition/balance is enhanced some in 9.04 to my ears (even more so on ARES for Axe-III).

8.02, 9.02 and 9.04 firmwares work with The TonePack because SPKR COMP is set to off so everything sounds just as I dialed them in originally. In 9.04 they are a little darker (except for the Class-A amps with zero negative feedback), which can be compensated by raising negative feedback value some or by adding about 1db at 4K in the amp block to restore the detail to the upper mids.

As to a different preceding post on “I am not going to buy it until there is a 9.04 version” ...Awhile back i read somewhere that Cliff was going to do an update to firmware that incorporated some of the ARES modeling for Ax8 and Axe-Fx users. It is pointless to update the TonePack to 9.04 by going through 700 sounds (which takes weeks to do right) knowing that, soon as I finish it, Cliff will no doubt release something else and make it irrelevant. Rather spend my time on Axe III 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack until he moves with an Ax8 firmware release. Remember it has only been a year since 8.02 was intially released!

I did an 8.x version, a 9.x version (and didn’t charge prior customers) and I will probably do an update for a 10.x version if and when it comes. If people want to wait to buy, that’s fine by me, but there is no benefit to a 9.04 version at this time, and lots of of people are running it under 9.04 using the 9.02 TonePack version quite happily!

Last edited:
And lo and behold, Cliff announces today Quantum 10 now out for the Axe-Fx...and I'm sure one for the Ax8 will be forthcoming. This is why I only do one TonePack update per firmware! ;)

Last edited:
So I played around with then new Quantum 10 on my XL today, and it is very much like ARES on the Axe III - -which is cool. More fuller bass end, good string separation, nice overall EQ.

In comparing to prior Quantums, one way I look at it is like this:

- If I was doing a recording session, where I was trying to sit a guitar track into a mix, I'd probably choose a Quantum 8.02, because of less bass and more pronounced or percieved upper mids. Easier to slot a preset into a complete band mix, with out having to EQ it further.

- If I was doing a live gig and wanted it to sound like a real amp live on stage next to me, or maybe playing at home to tracks, I'd prefer the new Quantum 10 (that I am sure is coming to Ax8 pretty soon). Bigger and fuller, more full frequency. However, If your playback system hypes the bass response (some "FRFR" cabs on the market do that to make sound seem more cab-like), you are going to want to start cutting in the Cab Block using Lo Cut between 100hz and 150hz to tame that bass bump on bottom if it sounds muddy to you.

I'll see if I can crank out an updated 700+ Naked Amps TonePack version for 10.1 (or 10.2 if that comes quick) for Axe-Fx, and be ready to do one as well for Ax8 once a 10.x version becomes available...

Maybe think about it like this:

Quantum 8.02 = Vintage sound EQ curve

Quantum 10.x = Modern sound EQ curve

Last edited:
Okay guys... we are waiting for an AX8 version of firmware 10.01...

Once Cliff completes and release that/it happens, within a few weeks time thereafter I will provide a free update of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack under that version. Give me some time to do it right, will take a few weeks after firmware release, I have to manually got through 700 tones and A/B them to original sounds under 8.02 and tweak them. Already doing this for the XL.

But to get the update, you will have to have created a login on my website store. If you want to access updates when available bu haven't created a login yet, then please do so now. P lease use the same email you purchased under. For new accounts, initially your orders will not show up but I can manually attach them, so they will be there moving forward.

If you have any questions let me know. I am really digging 10.01 sound BTW. Tonally, it is VERY much like the ARES firmware on the Axe III.

Okay, today Cliff released at 10.x version for the AX8. I will begjn work on updating the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack for the AX8 and let you guys know when it is ready for download for past customers.

Important: if you did NOT create an account and login/password at www.austinbuddy.com, please do so now. In a few days I will manually link your old order with your new account. When the 10.x version is ready, you will loging and see it as an available download. So please do this!

Okay, today Cliff released at 10.x version for the AX8. I will begjn work on updating the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack for the AX8 and let you guys know when it is ready for download for past customers.

Important: if you did NOT create an account and login/password at www.austinbuddy.com, please do so now. In a few days I will manually link your old order with your new account. When the 10.x version is ready, you will loging and see it as an available download. So please do this!
FWIW, I have been fiddling with the existing Naked Amps (mostly the clean bank) on AX8 10.00 for a few hours...they already sound amazing..no doubt ARES mojo has been transferred....and the gap between Ax8 and the axeFxIII has been lessened.....

Thanks Brad!

It should be pretty close and they should work okay “as is.” The bass content in 10.x should be more pronounced, the string definition a little better, and the levels will change ( due to SPKR COMP).

To optimize it I need to re-level, use the SPKR COMP, and possibly use more Lo Cut Cab to 100kz for a majority of the cabs... but you guys can update with the 9.02 TonePack and it should be pretty good “as is”...

Thanks Brad!

It should be pretty close and they should work okay “as is.” The bass content in 10.x should be more pronounced, the string definition a little better, and the levels will change ( due to SPKR COMP).

To optimize it I need to re-level, use the SPKR COMP, and possibly use more Lo Cut Cab to 100kz for a majority of the cabs... but you guys can update with the 9.02 TonePack and it should be pretty good “as is”...

I need to amend the above -- it's not, at least on my system.

My S/PDIF signal is very weak in the new firmware. It seems 8db off/too low. I filed a "possible bug" with beta team.

I need to hold off updating presets until figuring that out. Right now all my presets that were leveled at -12db in firmware 8.02 are coming in my S/DPIF levels at -24db-ish - MUCH quieter. And this is with SPKR COMP on zero (not the default 2, which would reduce volume a db or 2 more).

My Instrument Pad is showing 12db and nominal output is showing at +4db( not -10db -- but it doesn't matter with the SP/DIF as it seems ot have no effect) and the Out1 knob is maxed... so something is weird with the digital signal being padded down. Haven't checked with XLR yet. Will keep ya'll posted. But I can't re-level presets until I know it will work for everyone.

Still on the 8.02 and loving it. The 10.x update will surely be felt. Looking forward to your tone pack update for the new FW!

I need to amend the above -- it's not, at least on my system.

My S/PDIF signal is very weak in the new firmware. It seems 8db off/too low. I filed a "possible bug" with beta team.

I need to hold off updating presets until figuring that out. Right now all my presets that were leveled at -12db in firmware 8.02 are coming in my S/DPIF levels at -24db-ish - MUCH quieter. And this is with SPKR COMP on zero (not the default 2, which would reduce volume a db or 2 more).

My Instrument Pad is showing 12db and nominal output is showing at +4db( not -10db -- but it doesn't matter with the SP/DIF as it seems ot have no effect) and the Out1 knob is maxed... so something is weird with the digital signal being padded down. Haven't checked with XLR yet. Will keep ya'll posted. But I can't re-level presets until I know it will work for everyone.
cliff has acknowledged and claims to have(maybe) fixed the volume issue on the aX8 10 beta thread, and promised imminent release ......

I'm looking at purchasing this Tonepack once you have it updated for 10.x. I'm also wondering if you are going to include the bass guitar presets you mentioned in another thread into this pack. Thanks!

I'm looking at purchasing this Tonepack once you have it updated for 10.x. I'm also wondering if you are going to include the bass guitar presets you mentioned in another thread into this pack. Thanks!

No, the updates will be same presets as in prior versions.

I am considering doing a supplemental, additional Tonepack for the AX8 and Axe-Fx customers, with some of the new preset sounds from the Axe III, it would be coming later this summer/fall. The new 10.x AX8 firmware just released as beta5 helps it be close to the ARES firmware for sure.

The problem is the preset/scene structure and limits in the AX8 CPU (1 amp block with X/Y) means you need four separate presets to do what one preset does in the Axe III. So a bank gets filled super-fast in the Ax8. The Axe-Fx can handle two amp blocks so that can do more.

The multiple bass presets are pretty vanilla (but good!) in the Axe III. I have not yet tackled the thread I started with all the requests for cool bass presets, and I want to work with a local bass player to do them. Also a summer/fall project. My full-time job kicked in so my bandwidth is limited but I will get these done in 2018.

Last edited:
No, the updates will be same presets as in prior versions.

I am considering doing a supplemental, additional Tonepack for the AX8 and Axe-Fx customers. coming later this summer. The problem is the preset/scene structure and limits in the AX8 CPU (1 amp block with X/Y) means you need four separate presets to do what one preset does in the Axe III. So a bank gets filled super-fast in the Ax8. The Axe-Fx can handle two amp blocks so that can do more.

The multiple bass presets are pretty vanilla (but good!) in the Axe III. I have not yet tackled the thread with all the requests for cool bass presets, and I want to work with a local bass player to do them. Also a summer/fall project. My full-time job kicked in so my bandwidth is limited but I will get these done in 2018.

Thank you for the reply. I look forward to using your naked amps tone pack and the bass tone pack when they are ready!

I'm still on 8.02 or 8.01 ... only because I did not want anything to change with the 700 pack tones. Look forward to the 10.0 release of these these presets !

Always back up everything and keep a copy of the firmware before you change. I label the file folders for backups after the firmware so I know what goes with what. 10.x is going go sound differrnt from 8.02, more of a modern than vintage EQ is the way I like to say it... but it’s good!

Always back up everything and keep a copy of the firmware before you change. I label the file folders for backups after the firmware so I know what goes with what. 10.x is going go sound differrnt from 8.02, more of a modern than vintage EQ is the way I like to say it... but it’s good!
The 700 presets are totally amazing on an AX8. I love it how Austin has set the presets up so the onboard FX is assigned to foot switches (unlike other companies) and goes through both the main L and R outputs and the FX loop output (unlike other companies). Tonight I was playing around with my set up with the bonus presets. I had the main out going into a Wharfdale powered fold back speaker (to be replaced hopefully tomorrow with an Atomic CLR MKii if it arrives) and the FX loop out into an Eventide H9 and then the outs on it into the stereo FX return on a Roland JC120. The sound was absolutely phenomenal. It was spacious and heavenly. I did not have to tweak the presets with my Fender USA Strat. The tone pack works well with 9.04.
Just received the Atomic CLR MKii and these presets sound even better through it.

Last edited:

Thanks AustinBuddy - can you please advise on this thread when the 700+Naked Amps for the AX8 has been updated for version 10 - I want to buy the pack when it's available for the latest firmware version of the AX8

Back
Top Bottom