5150 build.

I did go in to some of the complications of the EVH set up earlier but to give you a flavour ;
On my next string change I will be cutting the G and D saddles string grooves down by about 7/1000 and cutting a small bevel in the leading edge of the FR baseplate . This should smooth the action of the FR and match the fingerboard radius better.
The action with 9/42 and a hair off dead flat (no relief) is 40/1000 to a shade under 50/1000 no buzz no choke how ever you hit it.
This is measured at fret 12 without fretting at the first because that's how it is when you play it. I think it is only relevant to eliminate the effect of the nut in your measurement if the nut is cut like hell and going to be fixed ASAP.

Go with the Chevy Red orange. That color looks better, than Fiesta red. Or you use the original red orange, which George Felise painted on Ed‘s 5150. It is from General Motors: WA-7753.
Too late ;
IMG_1727.jpeg
I'm in the UK and those colours are not easily obtained in small quantities. Also I wanted to use a paint that didn't have a plasticiser in it.

Found a pic with the Charvel neck when it was first fitted.
View attachment 86474
Sorry about the quality but you get the idea.
The Charvel neck came after the Kramer and Musicman era. At the first time, the humbucker had black bobbins. Very later then came the zebra version in it. I am in a few 5150 Facebook groups, where i get a lot of informations and pics about this guitar.

The Charvel neck came after the Kramer and Musicman era. At the first time, the humbucker had black bobbins. Very later then came the zebra version in it. I am in a few 5150 Facebook groups, where i get a lot of informations and pics about this guitar.
Eddie used this version in 2004 on a reunion tour.

Go with the Chevy Red orange. That color looks better, than Fiesta red. Or you use the original red orange, which George Felise painted on Ed‘s 5150. It is from General Motors: WA-7753.
Did he though? If you painted guitars for a living and you were asked to paint a guitar for the company's number one user would you do it that badly? Nobody even finish sanded it, the rout transitions are untouched and the edges are sharp. I've seen others from slightly later that were back ups and they are a LOT neater and the colour is different. I think Ed painted this or if not Ed who would get away with such a shitty job?
Everyone at Kramer seams to say they had something to do with this guitar but if you ask them about it nobody can remember exactly anything other than the ESP strat neck conversion that Paul did. They didn't even have any maple or get the head the right shape for the Ibanez it was modelled on (or should that be similar ish too.) The people at Kramer can't even tell you that it IS poplar or who actually put it together.

No one knows excactly, the type of wood for the 5150 body. Some said basswood, some poplar and others said ash. I don’t know, If Paul only did the neck or the body, too. I think, Ed only taped his guitar and made them ready for painting. He had a lot of Kramers, so he hadn‘t all the time to paint them all. This guitar has some mysteries. Maybe one day, there is someone, who will bring light in the dark.
Btw, my 5150 replica has a basswood body and i painted it with Wimbledon white and GM WA-7753. I think, it‘s looking good.

No one knows excactly, the type of wood for the 5150 body. Some said basswood, some poplar and others said ash. I don’t know, If Paul only did the neck or the body, too. I think, Ed only taped his guitar and made them ready for painting. He had a lot of Kramers, so he hadn‘t all the time to paint them all. This guitar has some mysteries. Maybe one day, there is someone, who will bring light in the dark.
Btw, my 5150 replica has a basswood body and i painted it with Wimbledon white and GM WA-7753. I think, it‘s looking good.
He didn't paint all of them but this one is stand out worse and a different colour. I've seen the patch of bare wood on the back it IS poplar. It was not a custom built body and at this time they were all poplar . Anyone who has seen it in their hands does not say swamp ash it isn't ( look at the grain on the arm cut at the beginning of this thread and ask yourself how would this look if nobody finish sanded it? The basswood ones are ESP bodies, I disassembled one of Ed's few months back (basswood is a different colour in the flesh.) The only mysteries with this guitar is we can't ask Ed about it now. I decent hi res close up of the guitar now would settle it but we probably aren't going to get that .
Show some pics of your's. Did you find a APM Floyd? what spec did you settle on?

He didn't paint all of them but this one is stand out worse and a different colour. I've seen the patch of bare wood on the back it IS poplar. It was not a custom built body and at this time they were all poplar . Anyone who has seen it in their hands does not say swamp ash it isn't ( look at the grain on the arm cut at the beginning of this thread and ask yourself how would this look if nobody finish sanded it? The basswood ones are ESP bodies, I disassembled one of Ed's few months back (basswood is a different colour in the flesh.) The only mysteries with this guitar is we can't ask Ed about it now. I decent hi res close up of the guitar now would settle it but we probably aren't going to get that .
Show some pics of your's. Did you find a APM Floyd? what spec did you settle on?
Like i wrote before, the body is basswood, neck is asymmetrical 81-91 with 10’ radius fretboard. I use a 1984 Floyd Rose tremolo. The original FRT-5 is very hard to find, and when, then extremely expensive.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

That's nice, what pickup?
Neck and body are? Looks like a Musikraft neck but not body.
Very neat, I see you couldn't bring yourself to do messy black and you even painted the tape.
Then you put the stickers on straight and did clear coat. This guitar is a nightmare to copy because the original is so rough.
Where did you get the string tree?

That's nice, what pickup?
Neck and body are? Looks like a Musikraft neck but not body.
Very neat, I see you couldn't bring yourself to do messy black and you even painted the tape.
Then you put the stickers on straight and did clear coat. This guitar is a nightmare to copy because the original is so rough.
Where did you get the string tree?
Body is from Chris Locke. Neck is really from Musikraft. The only reason why i put clearcoat on, is the Kramer waterslide decal. With clear the decal is protect from damage. The vinyl stickers, too. The string-tree are made from a member of our Facebook group. They are all sold, but you can get it at:
rscustommachine.com
I know, many 5150 lovers like their replicas relicted, but not me. I want my guitar looks like new.

Body is from Chris Locke. Neck is really from Musikraft. The only reason why i put clearcoat on, is the Kramer waterslide decal. With clear the decal is protect from damage. The vinyl stickers, too. The string-tree are made from a member of our Facebook group. They are all sold, but you can get it at:
rscustommachine.com
I know, many 5150 lovers like their replicas relicted, but not me. I want my guitar looks like new.
Pickup is from Pariah. Pasadena black series. I forgot to mention it.

Are you happy that it sounds like 5150 or were you just going for good tone? I was particularly keen on keeping the paint thin and using nitro because if I do chose to relic it I have a lot of experience as to how it responds not to mention it has great tone.

To my taste this pickup sounds awesome. With a 14k output, it‘s a little bit weaker than the SD JB pickup. Not all, but many of us swear to this humbucker for our 5150 guitar. The white series is for the 78er brown sound era. But you can find a lot of videos on youtube from pariah pickups. Watch them and maybe you like it, too. But it‘s always a personal taste.

Back
Top Bottom