5150 build.

How did the pickups mesh with the wood/body? Is it what you wanted or expected? These were the Custom Customs if I recall.

How did the pickups mesh with the wood/body? Is it what you wanted or expected? These were the Custom Customs if I recall.
It's pretty much spot on how I remember 5150 to sound. I heard it straight in to various late 60s early 70s Marshalls. CCJ is a bit more open and dynamic than a regular CC. Overall very happy with the tone and playability. I may try a JBJ in it as this is the other pickup that some people say was in it but it never sounded that way to me anyway. I can also compare it to one of Ed's back up guitars that I had in a while back. I'm sure the owner would be interested in playing them back to back if I asked . That guitar is basswood (ESP body and neck) with a JBJ.

That’s awesome you have access to some of his old pickups. I started a NGD thread after buying the Frankie. I also have a great USA Select Charvel that came with Dimarzio SD, which I swapped out for a Duncan JB. It’s not the Alnico II version though. After playing the new guitar with the EVH pickup, I’ve fallen in love with that pickup. Maybe it’s the 2 magnet with more winds that is the ‘magic’. The JB has balls but not the dynamics. Or maybe I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

Do you think the Alnico 2 is the common ingredient In his pickups?

That’s awesome you have access to some of his old pickups. I started a NGD thread after buying the Frankie. I also have a great USA Select Charvel that came with Dimarzio SD, which I swapped out for a Duncan JB. It’s not the Alnico II version though. After playing the new guitar with the EVH pickup, I’ve fallen in love with that pickup. Maybe it’s the 2 magnet with more winds that is the ‘magic’. The JB has balls but not the dynamics. Or maybe I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

Do you think the Alnico 2 is the common ingredient In his pickups?
Open and dynamic is but you can get this a few ways. I personally like alnico 2 and 3 pickups.

On the history of the original: It now has a horrible Charvel neck on it and the body was modified to accept a 2 1/4" heel. You can't even put the original neck back on. Photos of it in this state are very hard to find. The last incarnation that is easy to get a picture is with the Kramer logo reinstated, a PV Wolfgang pickup and a Focus jackplate replacing the barrel jack.
One big question for me in this has been how exactly did it get all that wear on the back as it was simply not is use long enough and in the early days it had a folding shelf screwed to the back so no wear anyway. If must have been reliced by someone.

Back
Top Bottom