5150 build.

Now tape the body for red.
The way you should do this it to project an image of the original on to the white body and tape accordingly but I don't have the means to do that so it's going to be by eye.
Attempt 1;
IMG_1702.jpg
This was all going well until I looked at the thick stripe between the lower edge and the trem cavity. On Ed's it just fades away. I had to look at early photos with less wear and to my amazement it wasn't a 1/2" stripe it was only the 1/8"one and wear from violining the vol.
That had to go.
Attempt; 2
IMG_1703.jpg
Abandoned unfinished when I started to use the polygon shape between the lines to judge position and not just the intersections.
Attempt; 3
IMG_1704.jpg
Angles intersections and polygons this time and an earlier photo with considerably less wear.
I will go with this.

Last edited:
Solution: a strip of tape and some picks. :)

Also shocked to learn from the link you shared that Ed invented not only tapping, but invented Buckethead as well.

american-musician-songwriter-producer-and-inventor-eddie-van-halen-picture-id1282727184

Controlling a bit shitty is the name of the next part.
With the back done (pics later) I had to do the black. These lines are neither straight nor parallel and some just fuzz out . I think they where sprayed on using only card or paper overlaid . This may work out if you'r not trying to copy something with a reasonable degree of accuracy.
But I was going to have to tape them and try to overspray to match. Shitty by design.
Well here's the front;
IMG_1708.jpg
The edges are ok I am reasonably happy so far.
Apart from I am basically out of black nitro with two stripes left to paint.
IMG_1709.jpg
I may go around them with a scalpel to clean up some of the intersections but I will look closely at the original first.
IMG_1710.jpg
I hope I can squeeze the last stripes out of my paint can for the back.

This is really killer, Andy.

Later this year I’ll be building my Gilmour CAR Strat replica and I may be hitting you up for some assistance/advice. Initially, I was just going to basically slap the EMG’s into a stock ‘57 Vintage Reissue, but I hate 7.25” radii, so I’ll have the neck made for me….but when it comes to the relicing, I’ll definitely be hitting you up then!

This is really killer, Andy.

Later this year I’ll be building my Gilmour CAR Strat replica and I may be hitting you up for some assistance/advice. Initially, I was just going to basically slap the EMG’s into a stock ‘57 Vintage Reissue, but I hate 7.25” radii, so I’ll have the neck made for me….but when it comes to the relicing, I’ll definitely be hitting you up then!
Relicing a guitar body to look right is more about getting the paint right first. The CAR is a Fullerton first edition reissue and completely vintage wrong in may ways but you have the problem of copying that before you start. I don't know how accurate you want to do this but this guitar accurate would be difficult. In fact it may even be easier to find one from this production . The body has a few shape issues that are not replicated in other eras and so does the headstock .
If you wanted to build a killer 57 replica with EMG's CAR finish and wear like DG's ( and your neck speck ) you would find this a lot easier .
Feel free message me about any part of the project. BTW I presume you have got the auction photos saved as they are enough detail for the whole project.

Time to "relic" it?

😜🤘

On a serious note relicing may have to wait for a month of two for the paint to harden. I might just build it like it was new and play it for this time. I will relic it but I can't do it yet . The only close ups of this guitar are very long in to it's life and it is pretty worn . In fact I can't really imagine how the back wore soo much in such a short time. The rest is just rub through and tape damage to the red. It has no particular dings in it at all and the headstock broke off at the glue joint. All the other damage is from having stuff screwed to it and I'm not replicating that. I want it nicely worn in not out.

That's the paint job done. I'm pleased with the colours considering nobody ever said Olympic White and Fiesta Red where pretty damn close, better than the swatches I posted earlier.
View attachment 85879
and the front;
View attachment 85880
Stars and space tape later, Maybe even not.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think I’d pass on the relic job. IMO, it actually looks really really good in its current state.

Relicing a guitar body to look right is more about getting the paint right first. The CAR is a Fullerton first edition reissue and completely vintage wrong in may ways but you have the problem of copying that before you start. I don't know how accurate you want to do this but this guitar accurate would be difficult. In fact it may even be easier to find one from this production . The body has a few shape issues that are not replicated in other eras and so does the headstock .
If you wanted to build a killer 57 replica with EMG's CAR finish and wear like DG's ( and your neck speck ) you would find this a lot easier .
Feel free message me about any part of the project. BTW I presume you have got the auction photos saved as they are enough detail for the whole project.

Not only do I have the auction photos saved, I get to take credit as being the guy that got the most detailed shots of the CAR Strat available on the internet!

I know the early Fullerton reissue’s weren’t spec’d out to proper ‘57 specs but I’m not paying the prices people are asking for those ‘83-‘84 RI’s. Someone was selling a neck made in the same batch as Gilmour’s Black Strat neck (which came from the cream 57 Reissue he used in the 80’s) for something stupid like $13K.

The small details I’m not overly concerned about, the small contour/headstock differences…..not sure it’ll be worth the hassle or provide me with that much more happiness if they were dead on. My biggest concern is ending up with a sticky nitro neck, because I LOVE nitro, but I HATE the sticky ones. I’m considering buying the body neck on my own that having MJT apply the initial finish…but I might want to do the relic’ing myself.

Major importance-
Correct woods used
Correct CAR color
Correct neck tint
As close to the wear of the actual CAR Strat as possible

The small contour stuff I don’t think will bother me too much.

I’m also curious where he kept the battery for the EMG’s….I’m guessing in the backplate, but there definitely was no battery box routed on the guitar and I wouldn’t think they’d deal with mounting it under the guard, but could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom