3 ominous things said at the grammys

I just went and listened to the Album that one Record of the year on RDIO, and you know what, It's awesome. Its got a bit of everything thrown in there. Nile Roger Rocks.

There is one song that has this Slide in it, it sounds great, reminds me of some of the '70s music that I really like.

You all should really give the album a listen its not heavy metal, but it does have heart.

The song with the cool funk bending thing is called Beyond.

Daft Punk - Beyond - YouTube

I made the mistake of clicking on the grammy live stream posted in Matt's announcement thread.

I saw a lady with pink hair screw up the presentation multiple times to give awards to people that were not even there. It really looked like she didn't want to be there. After 5 minutes of this crap I said "That's the grammys?....meh..." and promptly closed that browser tab. I then proceeded to wank on with the Splawn + GuitarHack this one IR. :)

I made the mistake of clicking on the grammy live stream posted in Matt's announcement thread.

I saw a lady with pink hair screw up the presentation multiple times to give awards to people that were not even there. It really looked like she didn't want to be there. After 5 minutes of this crap I said "That's the grammys?....meh..." and promptly closed that browser tab. I then proceeded to wank on with the Splawn + GuitarHack this one IR. :)

That was the Pre televised grammy's. The one at night is only like ten or so awards more for the masses.

I just find it hilarious that the guy who played Little Enos Burdette in Smokey and the Bandit (Paul Williams) co-wrote two songs on the Daft Punk album that won album of the year. He was up onstage speaking for the robots during the acceptance. Not knocking they guy or Daft Punk at all. Just think it's weird and funny. :)

I just find it hilarious that the guy who played Little Enos Burdette in Smokey and the Bandit (Paul Williams) co-wrote two songs on the Daft Punk album that won album of the year. He was up onstage speaking for the robots during the acceptance. Not knocking they guy or Daft Punk at all. Just think it's weird and funny. :)

Loved it!

Still not as funny as Jay Z and Beyoncé reacting to Willie Nelson and friends.... "awk-ward" lol

How is recording without a label or planning to give one's music away "ominous"??? How are those bad things at all?????? As though a label is needed for music to be artistically valid. As though someone has to be looking to turn a profit for their music to be artistically valid. That makes zero sense to me. Those "disruptive" movements you're talking about are going to save music, not destroy it (and note that I said music, not the music business).

And those guys in robot helmets released an album that has more feeling than probably 90% of what you listen to.

I swear, musicians are some of the most closed minded individuals on this planet, and that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I find none of that ominous. The music industry has become so stagnant and corrupt its not even funny. A house of cards held up buy ignorant masses and money. It will fall and maybe just maybe we are seeing the beginning of a new musical renaissance that is not dictated by how attractive the artist is, or how edgy and willing to make a fool of themselves, or because the good old boy network, or any other reason there are amazing musician and artist all over the world (STARVING!!!), but all you hear about is mediocre rehashed bullshit on American Idol and other such trash. Think Bieber. Big labels are a poison to any real creative expression or talent. You/I/We all know this in our heart or hearts. Im inspired by artist that do it without the help of a major label. This should be the norm IMUHO.

I find none of that ominous. The music industry has become so stagnant and corrupt its not even funny. A house of cards held up buy ignorant masses and money. It will fall and maybe just maybe we are seeing the beginning of a new musical renaissance that is not dictated by how attractive the artist is, or how edgy and willing to make a fool of themselves, or because the good old boy network, or any other reason there are amazing musician and artist all over the world (STARVING!!!), but all you hear about is mediocre rehashed bullshit on American Idol and other such trash. Think Bieber. Big labels are a poison to any real creative expression or talent. You/I/We all know this in our heart or hearts. Im inspired by artist that do it without the help of a major label. This should be the norm IMUHO.
You say that as if the major labels are the root of all evil and the reason for all terribly bad modern pop productions.
Couldn't be more wrong.

In fact, the major labels are just giving the people what they want. They want cheap mass produced shit. They pay money for cheap mass produced shit. Do you know why shows like American Idol and artists like Bieber exist? Because people watch/buy the shit out of that.

So unless the majority of mankind suddenly developes a certain taste for quality entertainment, we are not going to see a change. And we both know this will never happen.

I find none of that ominous. The music industry has become so stagnant and corrupt its not even funny. A house of cards held up buy ignorant masses and money. It will fall...
Funeral, you're supporting what I said…ominous. To who? OBVIOUSLY to the industry on quotes 1&2.

And those guys in robot helmets released an album that has more feeling than probably 90% of what you listen to. I swear, musicians are some of the most closed minded individuals on this planet...
WTF dude? You have no clue who I am or what I listen to. I've done deep-dive into Ableton live, studied a number of EDM programming tricks used in it, learned about which EDM trends were happening when, how several EDM artists & DJs make their living, and I posted this:

I think some of the EDM creations are incredible. But they lack emotion. People continue to cry, laugh, get f-ing pissed, fall in love to, and emotionally connect with music made by talented singers and players

I should've said "recorded with, or by, talented singers/players" but my point remains: Daft Punk does indeed have a lot more feel now…because, according to funkstation777 in this thread, their last album was recorded with a Million Dollar-Budget and is completely played by real musicians.

Who was singing/playing before the real musicians came in? I don't know. 2010 was the Tron soundtrack, and their last album was 8 years ago but both sound like EDM work to me. The latest album sounds less artistic/cutting edge and more commercial than the previous stuff. Now DP has decided to cross over to non-EDM fans - how? - by bringing in players/singers…and imagine that...A LOT more people are listening to them, despite the over-used, has-been vocoder plugin.
That was my point.

Last edited:
Obviously people are going to rip on artists like Daft Punk as "just pushing buttons" but have you seen their live rigs? What some of the EDM artists do in their live shows is actually pretty amazing. I don't see how much difference there is between the live manipulation of loops, sequences, and samples while playing live keyboard parts is to playing guitar and singing to backing tracks. Then look at groups such as NIN, Infected Mushroom, Pendulum, Depeche Mode... Live drums, keyboards, guitars in addition to the programmed stuff. Sure, there are DJs that simply push play, but the true artists in electronic music have been very creative in their live performances over the years - they've had to be in order to have a live element instead of just pushing play.

@solo-act

You're right, I don't know what music you listen to; it's called hyperbole. (Kind of like the hyperbole of calling those quotes "ominous")

The idea that electronic music, by definition, lacks emotion is just not true. Also, the reason that DP is crossing over has nothing to do with "real" (and dear lord is that insulting) musicians being in the mix and everything to do with them having been around for a while now and getting a big media push on this album.

I mean, I guess if you want to call this stuff ominous then it's ominous in the same way that it was ominous when it started getting declared that the Germans were likely to lose WWII. Sure, it was ominous for Hitler and his, but it meant something that was likely incredibly positive. Is that what you meant? That these things are ominous just for the big money suits that have actually been hindering music for decades now?

Lern2swim: go beat up on and be insulted by funkstation777. He said "real musicians" first. LOL

Last edited:
You say that as if the major labels are the root of all evil and the reason for all terribly bad modern pop productions.
Its a cesspool at best. Produces utter bullshit and ignores REAL talent. And the public is fed/given the illusion of choice and tend to say things like you just said in defense of an utterly laughable industry.
You are welcome to feel and think how ever you want. I speak from experience.

Funeral, you're supporting what I said…ominous. To who? OBVIOUSLY to the industry on quotes 1&2.
I guess ominous is a perspective. For me and others who do not have millions of dollars in support and huge advertising campaigns,
there is nothing ominous about a bunch of over payed children/junkies/ect ect, having to actually tour and produce good music to stay afloat is a good thing.
Madonna attaching an album sale to every ticket she sold to make her #1 in the pop charts is not a healthy industry and needs to go belly up.
Thank the maker for home recording rigs, iTunes, Youtube, and any other medium that allows sticking it the industry.
I would MUCH rather buy music from players here and locally than give one red cent to anyone that comes from the "Mediocrity Factory".

Lern2swim: go beat up on and be insulted by Funeral. He said "real musicians" first. LOL
Um, no I didn't.

according to Funeral himself their last album was recorded with a Million Dollar-Budget and is completely played by real musicians.
You should go back and re read this thread again. This is the second time you have either misquoted me or flat out put words in my mouth.

Its a cesspool at best. Produces utter bullshit and ignores REAL talent. And the public is fed/given the illusion of choice...I guess ominous is a perspective. For me and others who do not have millions of dollars in support and huge advertising campaigns, there is nothing ominous about a bunch of over payed children/junkies/ect ect, having to actually tour and produce good music to stay afloat...Madonna attaching an album sale to every ticket she sold to make her #1 in the pop charts is not a healthy industry and needs to go belly up.
Thank the maker for home recording rigs, iTunes, Youtube, and any other medium that allows sticking it the industry.
I would MUCH rather buy music from players here and locally than give one red cent to anyone that comes from the "Mediocrity Factory".
We're on the same page regarding the industry. Thanks to the mediocrity factory, mediocrity became performable in clubs by garage bands and day-job bands who couldn't pull off the tougher stuff like Zeppelin & Heart (they still can't) that dominated the 6-night per venue touring circuit before the 90's. As a result of that and other factors, touring for a living completely crumbled. I got out before it did, downsized from full-time touring bands and hunkered down in a single city as a solo act to keep the bills paid as a performer.

The mediocrity factory isn't the the only cause of that, but it did open the door. I'm not defending industry or saying Daft Punk is a piece of shit. They're clever, tech-savvy producers and writers. But AFAIK, they're not singers and guitar players.

This is a forum about playing guitar through the Axe-FX. We want to put out immortal tone in front of hot chicks, and get that audience love. That ain't gonna exist if all the gigs go to DJs/EDM producers and writers.

Maybe other guitar players here want to be a "feature" at a EDM dude's gig. I don't.

So, by "ominous," what you really mean is rock n roll is dead?

Funny... that sounds like something I've heard numerous times before.

So, by "ominous," what you really mean is rock n roll is dead?
You're either a slow learner or deploying completely unrelated sarcasm.

The grammys are people working for the labels who make money selling recordings. Those workers vote for who wins. They voted/awarded grammys to artists who said…at the grammys...that they recorded label-free and with intent to give the music away. That's an ominous thing to say at the grammys.

If that doesn't clear it up for you, here's the definition of Ominous:

syn:
ominous, portentous, fateful, threatening describe something that foretells a serious and significant outcome or consequence….although it [ominous] may point to evil or disaster, more often describes something momentous or important:

Back
Top Bottom