3 ominous things said at the grammys

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
1. The Royals, song of the year: "We were recording this to give it away for free"

2. Macklemore, best new artist: "We made this album without a record label"

3. Paul McCartney, best rock song: "I did this is in two hours on lunch break"

Thank god there's still someone around to show how us how it's done.

I think the most ominous thing was the total replacement of musicians.

Remember when Milli Vanalli was a scandal because they weren't really singing. Now that's the norm.

Well, that has now been replaced by two guys in robot costumes. Now those dudes can make millions of dollars by staying home and sending out body doubles to push pretend buttons pretending like they are playing music.

He'll, if they could find 100 skinny guys they could play 50 simultaneous shows a night.

Xrocker said:
Well, that has now been replaced by two guys in robot costumes. Now those dudes can make millions of dollars by staying home and sending out body doubles to push pretend buttons pretending like they are playing music.
I somehow like the idea of masking your identity. It takes the focus off the (private life of that) person and more on the piece of art itself. It's like Batman. It's about the idea that figure stands for, not the individual.
The definition of "music", however, is a completely different topic.

I don't find any of those statements in any way ominous. What I do find ominous is the fact that the Grammy's have turned into just another awards show where rich famous people garner more attention by acting as outrageous as possible and pass out worthless trophies to each other for some supposed level of talent that by and large I find totally lacking. That show and it's associated trophies mean absolutely nothing to me as does most of the 'music' being 'awarded'. I watched Sherlock Holmes instead, and it was far more enjoyable.

I'm with you T0aj15. I left the room quickly to go work on my floor controller for my Axe, while the family remained to watch. It is truly sad to see what passes for music today and but for a few exceptions talent also.

I think the most ominous thing was the total replacement of musicians...Milli Vanalli..has now been replaced by two guys in robot costumes.

Now those dudes can make millions of dollars by staying home and sending out body doubles to push pretend buttons pretending like they are playing music.

He'll, if they could find 100 skinny guys they could play 50 simultaneous shows a night.
Daft Punk are the blue man show with white outfits and helmets…except they just stand there…and push buttons. I didn't include them because they didn't say anything.

But you're right -- this was the most ominous and bizarre thing I've every seen at the grammys.

"The grammy goes to the engineer and songwriter for a product that features these artists."
The artists are now a "feature?"….for a DJ?…WTF? That's how the grammys presented it.

The industry combines this with acts openly admitting...at the grammys...that they recorded without a label, and they recorded with the intent to give the music away.
I don't find any of those statements in any way ominous.
Think again...They just pulled the door wide open for DJ's to win grammys, with or without a "featured" artist. DJs, AKA EDM "artists" morph samples with software on a laptop and bounce the tracks to MP3 in a hotel room on the road - without a label - and give it away for free, asking only that the downloader pay cover charge when the DJ comes to down. They're making millions doing this, and now we see artists and industry clutching onto and supporting this new, disruptive business model.

Prepare for more silent "acceptance" speeches in 2015 by "me-too" aspiring engineers and DJs wearing mickey mouse robot motorcycle helmets. It's about to get a lot weirder.

Last edited:
I find these shows invariably interesting and boring at the same time.

I value watching the performances; for a variety of reasons. I don't follow Top 40 so sometimes these are actually introductions to current music for me. Note I do NOT always like what I see/hear; but I want to at least be aware of it.

I understand the machine behind the music and what has crossed over to pop culture; it's NOT about bands/music, etc.. So as you will always see musicians clucking their tongue at these shows; I find them interesting from that standpoint.

It's just another extension of pop culture on show for everyone. The only thing I really was like - WOW - was the Imagine Dragon's "Radioactive" with Kendrick Lamar rapping over it. The performance had energy and I actually liked it; but the WOW was the awkward dancing by Taylor Swift in the crowd they kept panning to. She's an attractive young woman, but she looked really like Elaine from Seinfeld dancing there. LOL.

You cannot take all this so serious; it's another awards show among awards shows. It is what it is. The band behind the Daft Punk was INSANE. Stevie Wonder, OmarA Hakiem on drums, Nathan East on bass, Nile Rogers... man, I wish they had 30 minutes to just let that line-up jam on that instead of trying to fit it into a pop confab for a show. Ditto the Ringo band; Lukather and Frampton on guitar, Don Was on bass and Kenny Aronoff on drums? DAMN! I enjoyed the song and performance of Paul McCartney and Ringo's song. That was cool.

The show cutting off the end jam was classless.

But in the end, meh. It is a celebration (if you will) of pop culture in the moment of now. Nothing more. Has less to do with musicians and music and more to do with pop art.

The Grammy's reflect where the pop culture is at in regards to popular music with a bit of nostalgia added and they always have somebody or acts that seem way out of place.

E.g. how awkward was the country segment will Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Blake Shelton? The shots of the crowd during that "nostalgia" segment were priceless. "Are we supposed to like this?" lol And the the dudes from Imagine Dragon were mouthing all the words during that segment too.

Ozzy was wrecked too. I thought that was funny for TV but sad for him and his family. I love Ozzy's music and I hope his demons don't take him down prematurely.

It's funny, some people only focus on the two guys in Daft Punk wearing weird suits.....while not even mentioning Niles Rodgers, who is one of the main reasons for the success of many groups.

I think the most ominous thing was the total replacement of musicians.

Remember when Milli Vanalli was a scandal because they weren't really singing. Now that's the norm.

That's a real bad expample if you mean Daft Punk. Although I'm not into their style of music (but I love their "Tron-Legacy-Soundtrack"), their last Album was recorded with a Million Dollar-Budget (NO JOKE) and is completely played by real musicians.
Yeah, it's a commercial Album, but it represents the way how it should be done more than most of the records (even Rock- and Metal Productions, which are typically Andy-Sneap-Trigger-style-In-the-box-sound-alikes).
So, even if someone doesn't like their music, I recommend to get their last album, just to sit down between your Studio-Monitors and listen to the abso-fucking-lutely great sound design of this album, that most commercial mega-selling Albums lack nowadays.
Amen. ;-)

That's a real bad expample if you mean Daft Punk. Although I'm not into their style of music (but I love their "Tron-Legacy-Soundtrack"), their last Album was recorded with a Million Dollar-Budget (NO JOKE) and is completely played by real musicians.
Yeah, it's a commercial Album, but it represents the way how it should be done more than most of the records (even Rock- and Metal Productions, which are typically Andy-Sneap-Trigger-style-In-the-box-sound-alikes).
So, even if someone doesn't like their music, I recommend to get their last album, just to sit down between your Studio-Monitors and listen to the abso-fucking-lutely great sound design of this album, that most commercial mega-selling Albums lack nowadays.
Amen. ;-)
didn't want to chime in on a discussion like this, but I have to agree here regarding DP. there's a lot and I mean A LOT more to these two guys than just helmets and "pushing some buttons". these really are producers (and great ones at it) who are kind of forced out into the open to perform. if it wasn't for them, that band we saw yesterday wouldn't even have been there. at least they still work with real session guys who know their art on their records and now live as well. as great as Nile is, working with DP didn't really hurt his recent new found popularity either. I'd work with Daft Punk any day over any of the other so called artists who appeared on the show yesterday (apart from Sir Paul maybe ;) )

Yeah, the country segment was a bit embarrassing for the genre. I don't know if they couldn't hear or forgot the lyrics or both. I did like how the Imagine Dragons guys were dancing and singing along, I also liked their performance. But everyone else were making fun of them, which I thought was sad. And there were other things I didn't appreciate being shoved down everyone's throats, so I turned it off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

That's a real bad expample if you mean Daft Punk…their last Album was recorded with a Million Dollar-Budget (NO JOKE) and is completely played by real musicians.
So why are the engineers/producers listed first? and the artist listed as a feature? That's news to me…anyone else?

The Oscars have separate technical categories for the artists who are engineers and production staff. Apparently the grammys don't make that distinction. DP are talented engineers and producers, and "get lucky" is old-school disco. In the video they're playing instruments. But the grammys presented Daft Punk as deadmouse DJs and then let artists talk about releasing lable-free recordings for free…at the grammys…

But in the end, meh. It is a celebration (if you will) of pop culture in the moment of now. Nothing more.
Actually it is a shift Scott.

The grammys are (were) awards from an industry that makes its money selling recordings. AFAIK, they've never given grammys to DJs or other others who give away music they record. But they've opened that door now.

I rarely take the grammys seriously, I mostly joke about them (there were zero civil war banjo bands this year! woot!) However, the digital disruption continues to decimate sales. I'm simply saying it's out in the open now…at the grammys...and kind of turning the foundation of the grammys and the industry on its head.

I think some of the EDM creations are incredible. But they lack emotion. People continue to cry, laugh, get f-ing pissed, fall in love to, and emotionally connect with music made by talented singers and players…nothing can match that level of intimate human connection.

I'm not a monster talent, and I witness it in all demographics at my gigs. And sometimes, like last Saturday, the sheer power of the human connection and the wall of emotions coming at you -- in response to live singing and playing -- can be nearly overwhelming. The industry would do well to stay focused on that.

Last edited:
What do you think, who wrote the songs??? DP. And not the Artists, that played on the record. So what's the problem?

3. Paul McCartney, best rock song: "I did this is in two hours on lunch break" ...

sounds like it.. "Mommma... let me be" have I heard that before? what a terrible song, gets a grammy because of PM. uggh.

Amen. ;-)

I just went and listened to the Album that one Record of the year on RDIO, and you know what, It's awesome. Its got a bit of everything thrown in there. Nile Roger Rocks.

There is one song that has this Slide in it, it sounds great, reminds me of some of the '70s music that I really like.

You all should really give the album a listen its not heavy metal, but it does have heart.

So why are the engineers/producers listed first? and the artist listed as a feature? That's news to me…anyone else?
no news at all. I've worked quite a bit in the "EDM" genre. that's just how it goes there. producer is the artist, it's their product. singers etc. are guests and that's where the "featured" comes from.

no news at all. I've worked quite a bit in the "EDM" genre. that's just how it goes there. producer is the artist, it's their product. singers etc. are guests and that's where the "featured" comes from.
Aaaahhh….thanks for clearing that up.

Think again...They just pulled the door wide open for DJ's to win grammys, with or without a "featured" artist. DJs, AKA EDM "artists" morph samples with software on a laptop and bounce the tracks to MP3 in a hotel room on the road - without a label - and give it away for free, asking only that the downloader pay cover charge when the DJ comes to down. They're making millions doing this, and now we see artists and industry clutching onto and supporting this new, disruptive business model. Prepare for more silent "acceptance" speeches in 2015 by "me-too" aspiring engineers and DJs wearing mickey mouse robot motorcycle helmets. It's about to get a lot weirder.

So how is that any different then the rap 'artists' who've been ripping off mainstream artists for decades now, or the multitude of singers who use auto correction programs to fix their deeply flawed and/or lacking vocal abilities, or the the singers who go on stage and regularly lip-sinc their vocals because their voices aren't to be trusted in a live situation. Face it disruptive music practices have been in play for decades now, and that's just one of so many reasons the whole Grammy format is nothing more then a dog & pony show now.

Back
Top Bottom