250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

BTW I’m using a PRS DGT SE in that clip :)
Yeah I no longer have any guitar with EMGs at the moment either :)
Did you do any tweaking in the amp advanced parameters or was it just impeccable cab selection? It's incredible how close you got with without tonematching.

Did you do any tweaking in the amp advanced parameters or was it just impeccable cab selection? It's incredible how close you got with without tonematching.
Just small tweaks,
  • XFormer Matching is lowered (Power amp page)
  • Mismatch on Power tubes to -0.1
  • Brit Greenback impedance curve with Speaker compression off
  • Well Output EQ but that's a given for Mark series amps
  • Cab block, Tape preamp and Tone controls to fine tune - didn't spend too much time here, just enough to give it a bit of sizzle and compression

Here's what I use for playing along to Sad But True, adjust the input gain to your pickups, this is setup for lower gain pickups so you might need to reduce it to 0.25 or so if you have higher gain pups.

Attachments

• Metallica - Sad But True.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
Choose amps A & B or Cabs A & B as well, & let me know what you think
Hey Drago
I've just tried your preset ( all the combination ) , although it sound different than mines , i would say it's pretty much in the same "ballpark" than mines , ( i guess it's a wide ballpark... ) It's still not close enough for me.
Thanks for trying buddy !!

I think Moke's tonematch preset is the closest for sure. nothing beats tonematch. but it also makes my point that sitting there playing guitar with a preset doesn't sound the same as recording it and playing it back. On my axe-fx III playing in the room with my guitar, my preset still sounds close, but on playback it's not even in the same neighborhood. So building on the closest preset so far, I added a multiband comp and adjusted to make it a little more polished. feel free to try this one and polish it even more.
This even sounds spot on with my bare knuckle black hawks (all my metal guitars have these, no longer have a guitar with emgs). Problem is, this tone is really only usable if you wanted to try and re-record TBA 😅 Not really a good live sound. Which again proves context is everything...

This even sounds spot on with my bare knuckle black hawks (all my metal guitars have these, no longer have a guitar with emgs). Problem is, this tone is really only usable if you wanted to try and re-record TBA 😅 Not really a good live sound. Which again proves context is everything...
I'm not gonna use this Black Album Preset for playing live and with a amp...
I want a "record ready" ( already baked ) sound for recording quick demo and i want the Black Album Sound for those demo.
And the reference track is the "holy grail" sound that i'm aiming for.

I'm not gonna use this Black Album Preset for playing live and with a amp...
I want a "record ready" ( already baked ) sound for recording quick demo and i want the Black Album Sound for those demo.
And the reference track is the "holy grail" sound that i'm aiming for.
I was speaking in general, whatever your intended use I assume you need it exact (like an accurate cover as you mentioned). Its just not a usable tone for anything else really. Fun to have though.

Dude, if you feel comfortable, you should publicly post a few DI tracks of you playing Black Album riffs. So many people have been trying, but without your tracks, it’s not possible to get close enough. Your guitar, pick, and technique make all the difference in the world. You probably would’ve had ten dead on tones already, made in different ways.

Dude, if you feel comfortable, you should publicly post a few DI tracks of you playing Black Album riffs. So many people have been trying, but without your tracks, it’s not possible to get close enough. Your guitar, pick, and technique make all the difference in the world. You probably would’ve had ten dead on tones already, made in different ways.
I did a DI track and i've already gave that track to few peoples.
But i don't know how to post it on this thread.
When i try to post it , i've a message telling me that i can't post a (.wav) files...

That Moke’s preset is real nice. Fun to play and fool around with somewhat matching tone. I tried it with two guitars: very nice on one, muddy on another guitar (with emg81, funny). It shows how everything matters. (Or nothing else?)

Ruling out Tone Match seems like an utterly bizarre requirement.
I even used Tone Match when creating sounds with James Hetfield himself.

Exactly.

@MrBurns666 if you want the exact sound, either use the Tone Match block after your Amp block without any Cab block at all or if this is just for recording, record your raw Amp block sound without any Cab block, and then use Fab Filter's Pro Q in Match Eq mode.

Avoiding any kind of tone matching/eq matching is pointless if you want something with the exact eq profile of the original tone. Provided you get everything else in the right ballpark before the Amp Block (Hetfield's attack, string gauge, pickup and pickup distance from bridge, Gibson scale length and similar Amp block), then eq matching instead of a cab sim is the right way to go.

Also as suggested above, create an IR from the Tone Match so you don't need to use the Tone Match block once you've created the match. Just use the IR Loader.

Or if the point is to get a similar sound that actually isn't virtually identical to the original, then you'll end up with some cool sounds of your own.

Exactly.

@MrBurns666 if you want the exact sound, either use the Tone Match block after your Amp block without any Cab block at all or if this is just for recording, record your raw Amp block sound without any Cab block, and then use Fab Filter's Pro Q in Match Eq mode.

Avoiding any kind of tone matching/eq matching is pointless if you want something with the exact eq profile of the original tone. Provided you get everything else in the right ballpark before the Amp Block (Hetfield's attack, string gauge, pickup and pickup distance from bridge, Gibson scale length and similar Amp block), then eq matching instead of a cab sim is the right way to go.

Also as suggested above, create an IR from the Tone Match so you don't need to use the Tone Match block once you've created the match. Just use the IR Loader.

Or if the point is to get a similar sound that actually isn't virtually identical to the original, then you'll end up with some cool sounds of your own.
This whole thread puzzles me. The OP creates a new forum account, apparently for the sole purpose of creating this thread — he hasn’t posted anywhere else other than this thread.

He offers money for a specific preset, and puts arbitrary conditions on the creation of the preset. Historically, this kind of thread ends with the OP receiving a number of free presets and always having an objection to the accuracy or methodology of the preset, so no money is paid. We’re ten days in so far. Watching... hoping for a different outcome... but...

Last edited:
This whole thread puzzles me. The OP creates a new forum account, apparently for the sole purpose of creating this thread — he hasn’t posted anywhere else other than this thread.

He offers money for a specific preset, and puts arbitrary conditions in the creation of the preset. Historically, this kind of thread ends with the OP receiving a number of free presets and always having an objection to the accuracy or methodology of the preset, so no money is paid. We’re ten days in so far. Watching... hoping for a different outcome... but...
Maybe he’s going to resell them? If I spend 250 and rebrand someone’s presets and sell them, I’d be stupid. Just rebrand the stock presets and sell those and be done with it if you really want to be a fraud. Not like it hasn’t been done already.

Reactions: Rex
The entire stipulation of "without tone matching" when asking for "the exact specific tone from [whatever]" is a bit arbitrary and absurd.

60%-70% of a guitar tone, especially high gain tone, is developed after the amp, from the impedance curve interaction between the amp and cab to the overall EQ filtering of the speakers, to the mic, mic placement, and mixing.

Metallica and Bob Rock spent more time devoted to specifically and only creating the Black Album tone than any other tone Metallica ever put to tape before or since. They literally built a structure around the cabs inside the recording studio out of scaffolding and moving blankets, and used multiple mics specifically positioned at millimeter precise placements within that space so they could use the phasing of the interaction between mics to impart its own effects onto the tone, in addition to just the effect on the tone the specific mics used would have by themselves.

You could literally sit the exact Mesa Mark amp that James used in front of you and have James and Bob themselves dial it in for you while you played it, but without that homebrew cab and mic setup they built out and used, you're going to have a tough time getting that exact tone. Think about how many Metallica records that specific Mark amp has been featured in and how vastly different each of those records sound.

Tone Matching was literally created for this exact reason. That is precisely what Tone Matching does. It bridges the gap between your own cab setup and the literally-impossible-to-achieve-otherwise differences of any other cab and mic setups.

You may as well require that the preset not use any Mesa amp models or cab IR's with Vintage 30's while you're at it.

Last edited:
Okay guys !
This is gonna be my last post on this thread , probably because my "Big Master Plan" have just been unmasked and i must have collected enough "free stuff" to lunch my personal "Black Album Preset Pack"...
I'm too old for this Internet Forum Drama
My offer is still valid , peoples who think they have the preset i'm looking for , use the DI track that i've provide with your preset and PM me a wav. recording of that preset , don't send me the actual preset, that way , i won't be able to collect "more free stuff" and that might help some peoples sleep better at night...
Pm me directly for question cause i'm no longer posting on this thread.
Thanks !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom