250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

Here is version 3, from the comparison video. Firmware 22.01. No more stereo 'room' in the Cab block. I like it with it, but the reference clip has none. A bit more low and high end. A different match. Less Reverb. A little less gain. I would normally export this as an IR, then Tone Match again to find those little details.

I can't stress enough how very important how you play during the matching process is. You can't add or leave out anything when doing 'Off-Line' matching. For example.. this piece in the YouTube clip has virtually no string sliding squeaks. Bob Rock is relentless with this kind of stuff. I bet the band wanted to kill him sometimes.

Sounds/feels the same on my EMG 81 equipped 1980s Kramer Pacer Imperial. Record and compare for yourself. A few small tweaks in the Amp block gain and tone controls and/or the Amp block Output EQ should be able to account for the differences in humbucker pickups.

Attachments

• Metallica Black3(Singtall&Moke).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
the point was to underscore mine, thanks! But in complete fairness, the metamorphosis into suck wasn’t complete in 91. It was just getting going
No no but what you described as the “beginning of the end” was so huge compared to what we have now, I was just thinking of it.

A lot of things were new compared to the 80’s, the production, first

And then all these mix of genre like … RATM.

Sepultura , machine head, strapping young lad, fear factory … soad … nine inch nails … Marilyn Manson that shocked the universe with the Antichrist superstar tour… the last real provocative rock star …

Also in extreme music : emperor, dimmu borgir… Marduk … napalm death … cradle …

But yeah if you was in “guitar” stuff it is true that it was more about ambiences and tone than shred. But… crystal planet was good ! Images and world, metropolis part 2 ….

But yeah Cobain and Manson are the 2 last rock stars that make the rock n roll a little bit dangerous like it need to be . Everytime Cobain was in a tv show we were waiting for the destruction of gear and that “fuck you”, it was punk, it was great . I miss that. With our woke society you cannot do that anymore. Everything is clean now. I don’t like that.

I’m not saying that the 90’s are better than the rest, I like all the previous decades too. But the 2000…..

The 90s were an amazing decade for music.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT... there's still amazing music being released every year. The actual difference is simply that the gatekeepers for bringing music to the attention of the masses (yes, even underground stuff used to have marketing gatekeepers) are either gone or totally changed. And, due to various missteps (including old metalheads becoming grumps about new types of metal) harder music is just not included much at all in anything that's invested in garnering attention 99% of the time. The point remains though that if you can't find more great new music than you'd have enough time to listen to that's on you.

Here is a quick video comparing the YouTube clip, provided as the "target tone", to a few tones shared in this thread. @Singtall's preset, @Singtall's preset with Lucas' IR (mentioned by the OP as the best so far), the 'Black' scene from @rossipedia's preset, and a slightly re-tweaked version 3 of mine.

There is still a little something in the low mids that isn't quite there yet. Probably some multi-compression keeping things in check as the piece is played? Some more time spent could probably flesh it out? But I doubt that the difference could be heard in the context of a mix.

Pfft, nailed it. There is a little difference in the low mids, evident only on an A/B comparison. Plus, who is playing those songs just on solo guitar anyway? In a mix, it’s way too subtle to make a difference.

For paid presets, go Moke or go broke.

old metalheads becoming grumps about new types of metal).

The point remains though that if you can't find more great new music than you'd have enough time to listen to that's on you.
Or maybe, maybe!, you simply don't like new music fullstop :D I never understood the theory that if you don't like new music is because you're too old...

Or maybe, maybe!, you simply don't like new music fullstop :D I never understood the theory that if you don't like new music is because you're too old...
It seems that this is common that “everyone’s favorite bands” are the ones they start listening being young. It reminds you a time of your life when things were easier maybe

It is harder when you already have 1000 records in mind, to be surprised by something “new”. Before I was mocking a little bit the people talking about The Rolling Stones versus the Beatles or zeppelin, the generation before me, but now yes sometimes I feel like i am becoming like them with my “nirvana and co”☺️.

It's not that WE'RE old, it's that some people get myopic about what they think they're able to enjoy as time goes by. I said what I said, and I phrased it specifically. There's plenty of new stuff (and old stuff) that I don't personally like, especially if I limit myself to things that get widely promoted, but I have zero issue finding SOMETHING new and good any time I actually look.

It seems that this is common that “everyone’s favorite bands” are the ones they start listening being young. It reminds you a time of your life when things were easier maybe

It is harder when you already have 1000 records in mind, to be surprised by something “new”. Before I was mocking a little bit the people talking about The Rolling Stones versus the Beatles or zeppelin, the generation before me, but now yes sometimes I feel like i am becoming like them with my “nirvana and co”☺️.
So true. The best, most timeless music in the world is whatever you listened to in your teens and twenties.

It's not that WE'RE old, it's that some people get myopic about what they think they're able to enjoy as time goes by. I said what I said, and I phrased it specifically.
There is a huge part of nostalgia in all of that.
When I listen to a Guns N’ Roses song or … I have all these flashbacks that I surely don’t have when I listen to something new.
And who knows, maybe if I had heard the use your illusion in 2023 for the first time I won’t consider it that good 🤷. Who knows.

There is a huge part of nostalgia in all of that.
When I listen to a Guns N’ Roses song or … I have all these flashbacks that I surely don’t have when I listen to something new.
And who knows, maybe if I had heard the use your illusion in 2023 for the first time I won’t consider it that good 🤷. Who knows.

Exactly. And I'm here for enjoying nostalgic things, but I think that, if a person values art, remaining aware of that nostalgia and engaging with things that don't tickle that nostalgia spot is very important. Like... I love Star Wars, but I'm not going to avoid other scifi movies that are totally new properties.

Exactly. And I'm here for enjoying nostalgic things, but I think that, if a person values art, remaining aware of that nostalgia and engaging with things that don't tickle that nostalgia spot is very important. Like... I love Star Wars, but I'm not going to avoid other scifi movies that are totally new properties.
But I am totally IN to enjoy new records, it is not like I stay with my old records and everything suck. Before I was happy purchased after purchased, but now since years and years I don’t find new records that I really like. 😑

But I am totally IN to enjoy new records, it is not like I stay with my old records and everything suck. Before I was happy purchased after purchased, but now since years and years I don’t find new records that I really like. 😑

When I get into a space like that I find it's just a matter of seeking out a new source for recommendations.

I have maybe 2000 records that I know by heart so it is more complex now . What I miss I think are unique vocals, riffs, energy, rock n roll… I don’t know. Everything feels empty in rock music now. They do things just for money, not because they are just angry or..IMG_9451.jpegYes a lack of feelings.
I am starting a therapy tonight🤣
Cat spotted .

Last edited:
The over-use of auto-tune and DAW production is what i hate the most about modern music and why i tend not to like too much of it.
Yes everything is bleached. to me the band should sound in the record like they sound in the practice room, with a better sound yes ok, but don’t fake it, don’t cheat people with things you cannot play like that for real etc .

A great songwriter with a good voice and a good song… you can Record it with the worst dictaphone you will have chills.

Last edited:
Yes everything is bleached. to me the band should sound in the record like they sound in the practice room, with a better sound yes ok, but don’t fake it, don’t cheat people with things you cannot play like that for real etc .

A great songwriter with a good voice and a good song… you can Record it with the worst dictaphone you will have chills.

Yep, Conway Twitty came on while i was driving this morning and i thought, look how good the vocal is on this and not a plug-in anywhere.

Most releases these days are more an example of the engineer/producers abilities than the artists.

I missed the older one. By the time I had the funds, they were all gone. Got a new one about a month ago. No piezo, $300 more, and some playability issues. Probably should have bought a used one from the last version for more$?
More info here..
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/let’s-see-your-les-pauls.182336/post-2455190
I actually have both of them - haven't played them much, have been busy with my 2 bands - use my EVH Wolfgangs in one band, and my Epiphone SGs in my AC/DC Tribute band, Angus Khan.

I plan to have them set up at my local guitar shop and see if they play like butter!

Back
Top Bottom