Dobster

Ahhh... this seems to be an ongoing problem from back in 2011-12 with no answer.

It seems to me that there's no way to set up Scenes still and i've scoured the internet for videos/forum tips etc.
Just got my AxFXII XL+ and a Midi Raider and taught myself Midi (never used it outside of programming drums in a DAW) now i'm good. Also got a few sweet tones dialed in.

Onto the Raider. I've got Presets locked in on "5 Preset and 10 Instant Access" bank mode. ie, the Raider changes the AxeFx preset successfully (1-5) with 6-15 being empty Instant Access switches.

Now to assign Scenes to the Raider...
I understand that generally, to assign a Scene, I should use CC#34 for Scene Select, then assign Control Value/Number (CV/CN) to select whichever Scene I desire. (Scene 1-8 : Value 0-7,8-15 etc) (See table in Section 16.15.7 in the AxeFx manual Doc Q7.0).

My thought process: Instant Access doesn't seem suitable because more than one IA switch can be selected at any time on the Raider, which obviously cant happen with Scenes on a Preset in the Axe. Only ONE scene can be active. So this won't work.
I then tried "15 Preset" Mode on the Raider, to use Preset 1-5 as Axe Presets 1-5, in the hope I could change Axe Scenes with switches 6-9 and 11-14 respectively. This didn't work because when pressed, they disengage whichever Switch 1-5 (Axe preset 1-5) you have on, and engages whichever you pressed, that would be Presets, not scenes. I need the Raider to only allow one of these to be selected at any time, the same as the Scenes are on the Axe.

I've not delved into the Custom Mode on the Raider yet but had a brief look and it seems to be able to control a string of 5 commands. Great but they're still all IA or independent so I won't be able to for example, click Switch 3 for Axe Preset 3, then use 6-9 and 11-14 for each scene within Preset 3.

Puzzling. Maybe the Midi Raider isn't the control for me? Maybe it would need a firmware update/hack of some sort? Do we know of any going around?

-- I basically want to use Switches 1-5 to choose presets 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc (when I bank up) on the Axe. Then use switches 6-15 for the 8 scene selects as well as say, 1 global tuner/mute and one spare. See picture below.

I don't think i want to use IA switches for individual "pedals" as there could be 2 turned on a d 3 turned off in each Scene, and this could then be different in every Preset (per preset) which would mean a hell of a lot of programming and make small changes a nightmare (maybe?). It's nice being able to set the scenes on AxeEdit and switch between scenes and presets live.

ANY help or a solution (or alternative ways to plan the board, i'm open minded) would transcend you to Midi Guru status and it will be like when Neo "see's" the Matrix for the first time with all the green numbers. I'll also sing your praises forever.

(Pic for reference) Cheers.

Midi Raider_02.jpg

I'm afraid there's no way to implement what you have in mind using control switches on a Midi Raider, for two main reasons:
  • control switch status can't be mutually exclusive, so that switching one on automatically switches (some) others off.
  • control switches can on toggle between two configurable "on" and "off" values, while here you just want to send one.
The only way to select scenes is using preset switches (by sending additional CC messages via the CUSTOM section), but as you already pointed out this way you'd lose track of which preset you selected in the first place.

Maybe some other user here can suggest an alternative MIDI controller which lets you implement this scenario, but since you have to get another one anyway you may want to consider an MFC-101 directly.

You can set this up easily. I have the same combo!

a) Set midiraider to bank mode and banks of 5 as you did
b) set the IA switches you want to be global under "setup/IA status'". In this case 6-9,11-14 (and tuner if you will)
c) set IA switch midi ch AND CC# per preset PER IA switch under "midi/control number assignment". (example: midi ch at AXE, CC34#)
d) set IA switch on and off values per switch under "midi/control value assignment" followingly:

*All switches: "off = off"
*SW 6 (scene 1) "on = 0"
*SW 7 (scene 2) "on = 1"
*SW 8 (scene 3) "on = 2"
*SW 14 (scene 8) "on = 7"

e) change IA switch behaviour to Hold under "midi/switch type"

Only thing you can't get is LED lighting up showing chosen scene!

(setting switch type to momentary, would leave the LED indicating the scene on, but switching to another scene wont turn the previous selected off)

But I am planning to build a small hack, to get the LEDs working properly with scene changes by IA switches!

Kromi. Forget to thank you for the resolution. You saved the day. I was going crazy trying to figure it out. TKS!

Back
Top Bottom