Wish 2 pitch blocks please

For me it’s a real dealbreaker unfortunately.
For me it's not a dealbreaker at all but I really wish I had Pitch blocks because I would basicly have them on ALL my presets and I would never use a bunch of the other effects bocks so I think I can live with that CPU usage.

There are a bunch of other effects blocks that I don't use that I could use 2 of those instead... maybe put it under that Reverb CPU and if you use it you can't use the reverb on top quality. Just a crazy thought.
Nobody from Fractal has said why, and I seriously doubt it's a CPU issue.

Also, I don't think they would take to option to make it either Reverb or Pitch 2. This has been suggested before for other things and never used. I just think it's a very impractical thing to implement.

Honestly, it would be great if @Admin M@ or @FractalAudio or @m_brown would answer the question of whether this is a technical limitation of the FM9 or an "imposed" one so that this could be put to bed...

There are a bunch of other effects blocks that I don't use that I could use 2 of those instead... maybe put it under that Reverb CPU and if you use it you can't use the reverb on top quality. Just a crazy thought.
This! Especially if the channels will have gapless switching, 90% of my presets will have only one amp.

This! Especially if the channels will have gapless switching, 90% of my presets will have only one amp.
Oh YEHA, with gapless switching not many people would be using a second amp unless they want to blend tones but I guess that would be the minority, so lets have the option to use that CPU power for something else like having 2 Pitch Blocks 🍻 .

Detune and custom harmony in one preset.
That's definitely possible, depending on a few circumstances.

Post (or PM) an example preset that you would like this on, with descriptions of exactly what effects need to be 'on' for each scene. I will see what I can do.

That's definitely possible, depending on a few circumstances.

Post (or PM) an example preset that you would like this on, with descriptions of exactly what effects need to be 'on' for each scene. I will see what I can do.
Just two pitch blocks that you can configure like the single pitch block. I play a lot of 80s rock and you need both.

Just two pitch blocks that you can configure like the single pitch block. I play a lot of 80s rock and you need both.
Moke has come up with a crafty routing method to allow you to place the Pitch block in 2 positions on the grid depending on what you want to do.

It will be an "either/or" setup not a "both simultaneously" one. This is why he asked for a specific preset and needs.

Honestly, it would be great if @Admin M@ or @FractalAudio or @m_brown would answer the question of whether this is a technical limitation of the FM9 or an "imposed" one so that this could be put to bed...
"So this could be put to bed…"? 🤣

CPU usage and latency in the Pitch block page in the Wiki explains why it's not easily done and I recommend reading it, but in short, pitch detection adds latency.

This is what I see:
  • The FX3 can run two Pitch blocks because it’s the equivalent of two FM9 units.
  • Many of the Pitch block models have the option of picking where the detection occurs. The FM9 has the same option for its single Pitch block, but it doesn't have the CPU resources to run two without doubling the latency.
  • The blocks could be written so that they ONLY can take their detection from the same source or a single detector routine, but we know that people won't want that limitation. One person will say "Sure! Do it!" and another will say "No way!", so it's a stalemate.
  • People think that Reverb or other blocks could be sacrificed, but from my reading of the Wiki, the manual and the Blocks guide, that won't reduce the latency, it'll slightly reduce the dedicated core's load but that's invisible to us. As is, we can run dual reverb blocks at the highest quality and the FM9 won't even blink so reducing the quality or removing a block won't help. Again, see the last sentence in the third bullet.
  • Whether it’s technical or otherwise, it’s not going to change with continued requests UNLESS Cliff finds a way to make it happen in a way that meets his requirements. He is always looking at ways to improve the system and we need to accept that because he's an extremely benevolent dictator. The request has already been seen MANY times, and repeatedly asking "But WHY!?" and saying "I WANT IT!" won't change it but it could result in the car getting turned around.
  • There is absolutely no way this restriction is tied to differentiating the different units; That makes no sense for a company working with embedded computers where you MUST get the most out of the hardware or you're wasting money. Fractal wants to see all the systems be the best they can be, and nobody wants that more than Cliff because then they'd CRUSH the competition.

Moke has come up with a crafty routing method to allow you to place the Pitch block in 2 positions on the grid depending on what you want to do.

It will be an "either/or" setup not a "both simultaneously" one. This is why he asked for a specific preset and needs.
Yep, and it's also possible to use a different block as a stand-in 'Detune' effect to leave the Pitch block for other duties.

"So this could be put to bed…"? 🤣

CPU usage and latency in the Pitch block page in the Wiki explains why it's not easily done and I recommend reading it, but in short, pitch detection adds latency.
This is very understandable, however, it is still inconvenient in a lot of scenarios. The simple fact of using the pitch block to use a Virtual Capo will not allow you to have "post" pitch effects (like detune, harmonizers, or crystals).

Personally, with the upcoming FM9 FW, I'll be using only one amp block for at least 80% of my presets (if not more), and I'm sure an amp block is more CPU-intensive than a Pitch block.
The blocks could be written so that they ONLY can take their detection from the same source or a single detector routine, but we know that people won't want that limitation. One person will say "Sure! Do it!" and another will say "No way!", so it's a stalemate.
It would be nice to see a Poll and see what the people have to say.

This is very understandable, however, it is still inconvenient in a lot of scenarios. The simple fact of using the pitch block to use a Virtual Capo will not allow you to have "post" pitch effects (like detune, harmonizers, or crystals).

Personally, with the upcoming FM9 FW, I'll be using only one amp block for at least 80% of my presets (if not more), and I'm sure an amp block is more CPU-intensive than a Pitch block.

All of those things are irrelevant until and unless Fractal says it's possible...

All of those things are irrelevant until and unless Fractal says it's possible...
I am 100% aware of that. I've used both the Chorus and Multi-Delay in 1210 mode to add "the grease" instead of the dual-pitch detune as an alternative, but using "alternatives" in a +$1600 unit is a bit sad.

I think I'm going to grab a Drop pedal and call it a day...
There's a lot to be said for using application-specific hardware. Loopers are a similar situation.

A friend of mine bought my old AX8 and had all sorts of external pedals attached to it just to try to make it behave like the FM9 because the AX8 didn't have the same capabilities and needed that extra boost. It all sounds great but needs two pedal boards and wires everywhere to make it work. :)

using "alternatives" in a +$1600 unit is a bit sad.
Using "alternatives" that exist among SO many other features included in that $1600 unit. It's not a dedicated pitch shifter, it's a full-blown modeler, something that a pitch shifter pedal isn't. We have no idea how much the estimated value and savings of the FM9 are compared to the analog hardware it's replacing, but it's going to dwarf the bang for the buck and that gap keeps getting bigger with every firmware update.

Of course there are tradeoffs in the FM9 that the FX3 doesn't have. Wanting the FM9 to do the things the FX3 can do isn't likely to happen until we see major improvements in the DSPs that drive the current FX3 capability down to the FM9 price range. That'll be a future generation product. Expecting that Fractal can make the FM9 do now whatever people can imagine isn't likely to happen. As Cliff says, "…you can't get blood from a stone."

Last edited:
Polls are interesting, but are hardly accurate because the people responding are only a small subset of those using the modelers and are only, at best, those who read that thread. In other words, "what the people had to say" will not be representative of the general population using the unit, so it can't be used to sway development.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did and it works just fine. In fact, thinking about it rationally, it works well enough that I have to admit it's silly for me to keep asking for another pitch block. So I'll stop 🙂
How does it work compared to the Virtual Capo in the FM9?

Yes we at least could have the option for two pitch blocks. So you could decide for yourself if the latency is too much or not. Or use a simpler chain if you want to use two pitch blocks. Cause now if you want a Whammy combined with pitch shifting or Virtual Capo combined with pitch shifting you can't do it. Which I think is rather limited for an expensive piece of gear like the FM9 is. So basically it forces you to buy an extra pedal if you want this, and that means setting up more stuff and bringing another piece of gear to gigs, which makes it more cumbersome.

Back
Top Bottom