1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Maybe, but some are talking like it's cheap? $1,600...........that is by far not cheap. not sure the zoom, digitech, eleven rack, etc crowd can afford that. I mean you are right back in AxeFX territory price wise....imho

I preordered one for $1199 shipped......20% off thru Woodwind & Brasswind. That deal is no longer available but 15% off the $1499 retail price is readily available if folks shop around......

A quick question ? How about using this as a controller for my Axefx ? I like the whistles and bells presuming only midi integration ? Thoughts ?
I use a pod hd500 as a midi board flawlessly. Assuming the Helix has the same or better midi fuctionality, I don't see why it wouldn't work in that role.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds pretty good to me, especially some of the fx. Helix may be a good product if you want something like the fx8 as well as decent amp sims to play around on. I doubt the converters are in the same league. Ultimately I'm excited for it to come out and see how it stacks up. I wish there was a way to marry the layout of the helix with the quality of the axe fx.

the converters could just as well be even better - much newer hardware than the axe fx.
I have really high hopes for the Helix!

I don't think they will - what are they going to display?

What you want them to. You can assign one MIDI message per switch (or two values, for CC Toggle and CV/Expression Toggle messages), but you also get up to six buffered commands that are instantly spit out when recalling the preset, even if they're not assigned to a switch.

The six instant commands can be CC, Bank/Prog (MSB, LSB, PC), MMC, External Amp 1/2/1&2, or CV. MIDI commands can follow the Base Channel or be set to their own channel.

the converters could just as well be even better - much newer hardware than the axe fx.
I have really high hopes for the Helix!

I think a lot of guitarists have high hopes whenever a new product comes to market, and sometimes those hopes are realised, at other times they are dashed upon the rocks.

Newer does not necessarily mean better than what was available the previous year(s) - Gibson 2015 range anyone? - and conversely it doesn't necessarily mean worse.

Everything has a price and a cost benefit ratio which is thoroughly scrutinized by the bean-counters... and that's not to say the bean-counters actually know what they are talking about, it's just that they are very good at talking convincingly.

A bit off topic, but when mentioning bean-counters and related stakeholders I had to try and work out what the following extract in an email actually meant...

We need to distinctively engage adaptive interfaces and conveniently conceptualize frictionless networks but we can only do this if we authoritatively leverage other reliable applications and monotonectally aggregate real-time solutions. In an effort to efficiently enable strategic alignments and competently deliver e-business usercentric interfaces blah blah blah

I finally worked out that it meant absolutely zero but some people were impressed with the language :?

Something not quite right about the attack, IMHO. Still sounds like a POD.

I wouldn't say a POD that video definitely to me shows its beyond the Hd500x and it had better be at 1500 bones

I think Paul is a great player , but i don't care for the fact he uses single coils into things like Rectos ,Ubers , in the real world that would sound less than stellar.

He also admitted these are his sounds ,and yes the lows and attack is loose and saggy but its what he prefers

Ya know, I keep seeing new gear all over the place, and I tell myself, I might check that out, but then I go play my guitar through my Axe-FX and forget that I even saw that other stuff.

I've had my Axe-FX for over a year and a half, and it still feels like playing a new piece of gear every time I boot it up. The new just hasn't worn off, and with how much it is capable of and the constant free updates, it just keeps getting better all the time.

I've owned everything from real tube amps to toneworks to line6, to solidstate, you name it, and I have never experienced this with any of those.

So it boggles my mind how anyone that already owns an Axe-FX would even consider something from Line6.

If you are here and don't yet own an Axe-FX, then I humbly suggest you at least try out an Axe-FX first, if at all possible with your own patch designs, before you decide on any future gear. You may find the end of your tone search, or not, but if you've got the scratch, then why not at least try it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it boggles my mind how anyone that already owns an Axe-FX would even consider something from Line6.

I do and not only from L6, i already know the other guys will hardly match the Axe FXII, but im not married to it, i like to explore gear a lot my limit is money like most of us, but i like to buy new cool stuff.

It does not mean that i will tose the axe fx out, im very passionate about what fractal is doing and where its going but i also like things like the Helix, the BIAS head, AX8 etc.

The other thing is that im also passionate about guitars and most of the time i rather spend my money on a beautiful guitar then new tech.

And i also have 2 very young kids........ ;)

I do and not only from L6, i already know the other guys will hardly match the Axe FXII, but im not married to it, i like to explore gear a lot my limit is money like most of us, but i like to buy new cool stuff.

It does not mean that i will tose the axe fx out, im very passionate about what fractal is doing and where its going but i also like things like the Helix, the BIAS head, AX8 etc.

The other thing is that im also passionate about guitars and most of the time i rather spend my money on a beautiful guitar then new tech.

And i also have 2 very young kids........ ;)

I've got two kids too, a teenager and a 4 year old, plus I financially support my band, and I don't have a day job, it pretty much all comes from, and back into the band. Luckily my wife has an awesome job to feed, and clothe us. Which is a big part of my point. It took a long time to get the money I needed to buy my Axe, because I only use band profits to buy gear, so it seems expensively redundant to buy more gear that does what I can already do, no matter if it can do it better or not.

I'm actually stuck with several pieces of gear I had pre Axe-FX, because I modded the hell out of them, and they just take up space now. I'm not even sure half of them even work now. My daughter has my old tube amp, but she'd rather practice through my Axe-FX as well.

I'm mean, if you've got the money to waste, then more power to ya. Me, personally, I'd love to collect those "toaster" amps everyone has, for no other reason than to do so. I don't know where I'd put them, and I don't really have a use for them, but I like the idea of having them. But I do t have the time, or money to have redundant gear.

Ya know, I keep seeing new gear all over the place, and I tell myself, I might check that out, but then I go play my guitar through my Axe-FX and forget that I even saw that other stuff.

I've had my Axe-FX for over a year and a half, and it still feels like playing a new piece of gear every time I boot it up. The new just hasn't worn off, and with how much it is capable of and the constant free updates, it just keeps getting better all the time.

I've owned everything from real tube amps to toneworks to line6, to solidstate, you name it, and I have never experienced this with any of those.

If you are here and don't yet own an Axe-FX, then I humbly suggest you at least try out an Axe-FX first, if at all possible with your own patch designs, before you decide on any future gear. You may find the end of your tone search, or not, but if you've got the scratch, then why not at least try it?

Not bad advice at all. And some of my friends would say to try the Kemper because they think it has a much better feel. Thing is, neither format works for me. The all in one floor board is the only thing that interests me. Im loving the FX8 and will check our a friend's AX8 when he gets it, but the user interface is not what Id want when playing live. Especially compared to the Helix. But if the Helix doesn't sound and feel good, I'll stick with my tube amp and the FX8.

a musician i know prefers the sound and feel of his $200 guitar vs my $2800 guitar. that doesn't mean his guitar is better technically in any way at all. just that he prefers it.

the same goes for modeling gear. :)

Back
Top Bottom