1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Which is my point... "at the time" is meaningless, especially when "at the time" that same amount could have bought far superior equipment from a tonal perspective. The same is true of solid state amps when they were released and likewise dubbed a "game changer" of sorts... didn't make anyone's SS Crate sound any better, did it?

I feel like you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here. I'm not defending the Vetta, or saying that it was the ultimate tone machine. What I am saying is in response to those who insist that Line 6 never played in the high-end modelling market. This factually, provably untrue. It doesn't matter if some random person doesn't *like* the Vetta. It was a very expensive modeller, especially when you consider the time frame. Also, it was most likely the state-of-the-art at the time.

I don't doubt that many tube amps, or other amps, could have sounded better and probably did. Actually, I quite agree with your opinion regarding the *tone*.

As a counter anecdote, I think all but maybe one of the engineers I've worked with have at least heard of AES. But then I tend to hang out with a nerdy crowd, so maybe that's it.

Do you know how many AES inputs there are on mixers that have it?

You know what really aggravates me about internet forums? Uniformed, speculative douchebag comments like those above.

Welcome to Ignoreville, chuckles, population you.

Ignore Soon, he's been spewing silly stuff all thread.

I think what they are saying is that there are two DSPs and two MCUs (micrcontrollers). Although I don't understand why they are using an MCU for audio "duties".

FWIW, the AX-8 has two ADSP-21469s and two microcontrollers. Not nearly as fancy UI though and it will only do one amp model at a time. Our amp modeling algorithms use up the entirety of one DSP. The second DSP is running at over 90% utilization. That's how detailed our algorithms are.

GOD HAS SPOKEN.

I like the classy response by Cliff.

I had a Vetta back-in-the-day. It was expensive but there was *nothing* that could touch it at the time. I don't play out anymore and I sometimes go weeks and weeks where I don't play. I love the Axe but I can't justify spending $2000 on a recording/noodling tool. I will buy an AX8 if the price is right and I strongly suspect it will be.

A piece of gear consistantly used by pros is exactly what pro gear is.

You missed the point. The point I was trying to make was in reference to "pro gear" in "rig run downs".
Not all "pros" feature their gear in "rig run downs"

You missed the point. The point I was trying to make was in reference to "pro gear" in "rig run downs".
Not all "pros" feature their gear in "rig run downs"

you're right. However there is enough rig run downs and enough artists represented to get a good feeling of the market at any particular time

And the AxeFx is standing out, a lot of big ticket artists are using it, they have unlimited resources for tone and rigs, which says something

Artists are using Fractal and Kemper and more and more big bands are migrating to those...
I don;t think that they'll move to Line6.
You didn't see artists using Pods in the past years...
Just some modelers like that old delay modelers and stuffs like that...

Artists are using Fractal and Kemper and more and more big bands are migrating to those...
I don;t think that they'll move to Line6.
You didn't see artists using Pods in the past years...
Just some modelers like that old delay modelers and stuffs like that...

Not even close to being true... geez, I play Fractal too and absolutely love it but you guys go overboard with hyperbole and revisionist history sometimes...

The Thread That Will Not Die! lol

Having said that, I preordered a Helix today thru Woodwind & Brasswind for $1199 total shipped.........I'll get to test it out firsthand when it ships in mid August.

$300 off with no tax & free shipping was too good to pass up! lol

There have been thousands and thousands of albums recorded and hundreds of bands have toured with POD tech. I would venture the ratio to Fractal is somewhere around 1000 to 1. I've been to Fractal HQ several times--they aren't churning units out hand over fist by any means. Just because we all love Cliff's work that doesn't mean there never has been and never will be anything else out there that can produce incredible results in the right hands.

If you can't get a great tone out of a POD I would venture the POD isn't the issue.

I told you guys check out that video of that guy who is the mark day of line six, tell me he don't make that line six sound almost as good as a axe standard.

Back
Top Bottom