1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Just was reading this on TGP. It appears the cap switch is when you edit with hands.
Ah, that's clearer. Thanks. After digging around a bit, they do mention a a difference between touch (to select) and press (to engage).

Now we know what happened to the parts from the semi-gutted AFX that Fractal had in for repair...

Seriously though, after listening to the Sweetwater vid, far from convincing. I'm sure Line 6 did an excellent job with this new product and it'll sound better than anything that they've done. In no way do I believe for one second that the sonic's, feel and dynamics are on par with any of Fractal's or Kemper's product(s). Line 6 being on par with anything really high end? Not their style. Never has been.

If I'm wrong... well then ain't I just the asshole... but I doubt that I am wrong. If it were on some sort of par with Fractal or Kemper, with all them new bells and whistles, the price point would much different. In the video overviews, I found they emphasized more on the UI/editing more-so than any other aspect of the unit... which is pretty sweet, btw. Certainly not emphatic about the tones and, or effects in comparison, (IMO).

What would be cool is if FAS and Kevin at OH start selling a LOT more IRs as a result of the Helix supporting them. L6 generally has a huge user base and if the product is a success, it could mean a lot more sales for both of them.

Great point!

And open a wider audience to these great advances in IR technology.

It's come a long since the early modelers.

On that note, Yamaha did a lot with the DG series. The partnership (so to speak) with Line 6 actually makes tons of sense.

What would be cool is if FAS and Kevin at OH start selling a LOT more IRs as a result of the Helix supporting them. L6 generally has a huge user base and if the product is a success, it could mean a lot more sales for both of them.

First impression: gorgeous UI and industrial design.

I'll try one when I can and decide whether it's worth keeping, just like I did with the HD500 (which wasn't).

I will tell you one cool thing about the Line 6 Helix.... the fact that you can buy it on Sweetwater & they have a 3 easy payment plan, no credit needed, play while you pay. I've bought things from Sweetwater many times in the past on those easy pay plans and it makes it sooooooo much easier for people that don't have credit or are not rich get their hands on equipment. I wish Cliff would get his stuff available through Sweetwater, more people would have easier access to it then through those easy payment plans. I love Sweetwater, and I love Fractal, the two together would be awesome. I'd pay a higher price if I had to just to have the flexibility of those easy pay plans sweetwater does.

I would seriously consider the helix. After six months I'm a bit tired of waiting for the fx8 and in August I should upgrade my pedalboard, new band, new gigs.
What keeps me off besides customer service (but now it's Yamaha, thank god) and maybe less updates is
- the size of the unit. From what I read the display has a width of 6.2" which tells me the helix will have a width of around 25" from looks. This would keep me off buying it. I am obsessed keeping my rig small and less flashy. And the helix looks pretty polished and flashy to me ;-))
Does anyone know the specs and dimensions of the helix?
- the sound? I use strymon and eventide, and until today line 6 did not deliver the sounds I wanted - how would they with that price point. This may be a different game now but I doubt it.

Does anyone know the specs and dimensions of the helix?
it.

I found the specs finally in a helix thread:

Helix 22.05 x 11.85 x 3.6 inches; 14.6 lbs.
Helix Rack 19 x 5.25 x 9.5 inches; 9.3 lbs.
Helix Control 17.2 x 2.5 x 9.4 inches; 7.2 lbs.

Not soo much bigger than an fx8 plus efx pedal. Well...

I will tell you one cool thing about the Line 6 Helix.... the fact that you can buy it on Sweetwater & they have a 3 easy payment plan, no credit needed, play while you pay. I've bought things from Sweetwater many times in the past on those easy pay plans and it makes it sooooooo much easier for people that don't have credit or are not rich get their hands on equipment. I wish Cliff would get his stuff available through Sweetwater, more people would have easier access to it then through those easy payment plans. I love Sweetwater, and I love Fractal, the two together would be awesome. I'd pay a higher price if I had to just to have the flexibility of those easy pay plans sweetwater does.

The only thing better would be a 12 easy pay!

I guess line 6 done something right, doesn't matter what it sounds like, it looks flashy, people on here are interested

I guess all the people at the gig will say, too bad about the sound, but wow look at their pedal board, their cool

I guess line 6 done something right, doesn't matter what it sounds like, it looks flashy, people on here are interested

I guess all the people at the gig will say, too bad about the sound, but wow look at their pedal board, their cool

There are some good pro players that don't have a problem getting good tones from Line 6 products, I don't know how they do it but they do and it works for them. I have never owned a Line 6 product until now (JTV 59), The last time I plugged into a Line 6 product was a POD live XT when it first came out and couldn't get a believable tone from it, just nothing but horrible lifeless uninspiring noise.

After that I never payed them any attention because of that one experience. In fact I wrote off modeling altogether thinking no one would never get it right until I found the Axe. Personally I think Line 6 and the rest of the modeling world had there ass handed to them wrapped in a package with a pretty bow on top once FAS came along.

That said I'm willing to see if Line 6 has figured it out or not. I'm waiting for more real world demos and for when I can actually plug into one to see for myself if they have made the move into believable modeling with the Helix befor I pass judgment I want to see if all that show has some go.

Back
Top Bottom