14.07 Firmware Friday?

So what the difference between it and a standard TS?

Doesn't quite sound like a tube screamer at all. DS1 imo is a bit of a one trick pony but it's a good trick that's widely accessible to young broke guitists. I inherited a DS1 for free haha. I like it with my strat's single coils. For me it's more of a nostalgic thing, but it's been used by some big names like Kurt Cobain, Steve Vai, and John Frusciante. Its a love it or hate it kind of thing... clearly... But some people love dogshit tones I guess. ¯\(ツ)/¯

My personal tips for dialing in:
From memory since it's been a while. Used to do this into my Bogner Alchemist
  • Volume near or at max (It doesn't have much power in my experience.)
  • Distortion below 2oclock (Lest you anger the bees inside... Honestly don't need much of this. Start low, move on to the tone knob, come back to this knob for more flavor.)
  • Turn the tone up until the brightness starts to hurt than try going the other way for a bit. (Read: To taste. This knob is pretty powerful. You'll know where you like it once the other two are dialed. )
Don't bother sending it to a clean channel. Send it into a dirty channel with plenty of delay and reverb and your guitar won't gently weep, it'll scream and wail. You'll think your Tube Screamer is just a Tube Shouter.

Last edited:
So what the difference between it and a standard TS?
Tubescreamer has clipping diodes in the feedback loop of the OpAmp, so it has a smoother breakup sound and sort of a dry signal bleed through it. TS is a more of a mid-gain overdrive pedal. The Boss OD-1 is very similar to a TS.

DS-1 has clipping diodes to ground after the OpAmp stage, so its breakup is more hard edged and aggressive. It also has a lot more dirt available and is more of a true distortion pedal.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the new TS block in firmware 14.06 and a standard TS.

But anyway, the DS1 sounds awful in the clean channel of a solid state amp. It was designed to add to the crunch channel of a tube/valve amp.

I had the modded one with the keeley mod and it was decent

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the new TS block in firmware 14.06 and a standard TS.

But anyway, the DS1 sounds awful in the clean channel of a solid state amp. It was designed to add to the crunch channel of a tube/valve amp.

I had the modded one with the keeley mod and it was decent

That's the Hot setting of the TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer. Basically a TS9 with added modes for more gain/dirt.

TS9DX-large.jpg

@FractalAudio If you're interested I can send you an MXR Wylde Overdrive. I've read that it's similar to the DS-1, but with a little more bite, and with a better bass response. Never tried a DS-1 though, so I don't know that firsthand.

Attachments

• Wylde.jpg
    Wylde.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom