John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

Pull Me Under is the only song I like... not sure why. Seem like maybe they're trying to be the modern Rush or Kansas. Not really fond of the themes or lyrics either. Can't argue with his playing though

Here ya, go ....

JP2c Crunch ...
Settings:
View attachment 57861

JP2C Lead Mode -
View attachment 57862

I still wonder how they determined the settings in db for the JP2C graphic eq sliders using the amp itself or how this would help someone who bought the amp to recreate the tone (as we know, the tapers are not linear and not marked on the real JP2C). For those just joining, the slider positions in dB are listed in the comments to the videos alongside the control settings.

Unless, JP actually used the JP2C model in the Axe III for these demos. That would be really cheeky indeed.

Anyone know more? ;)

How can we hear the Delays going from Left to Right (listening with a headphone) since his cabs don't have mics in front of them ? this is not possible to hear the stereo Delays so clearly with just the video camera mic, it sounds like if it was recorded... but how since i can't see a mic ??? I'm talking about the video of his Lead tones. Does someone know how it was recorded ?

How can we hear the Delays going from Left to Right (listening with a headphone) since his cabs don't have mics in front of them ? this is not possible to hear the stereo Delays so clearly with just the video camera mic, it sounds like if it was recorded... but how since i can't see a mic ??? I'm talking about the video of his Lead tones. Does someone know how it was recorded ?

it's from mesa boogie, so i would guess direct, maybe some camera mic blended in.

JP has the 'real' mic'ed cabs at the back of the stage. The ones you see in front are 'dummies'. I think this has been since '07, around the time of Systematic Chaos/Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and using a MESA 1x12 as monitor for feedback.

These Notes were on the YouTube Video Notes:

Recorded with John Petrucci Ernie Ball MusicMan Majesty with DiMarzio Illuminator pickups into Ch. 2 +EQ 1 of the JP2C through a Rectifier Traditional 4x12 Straight with Mesa Custom Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. MIc’d with a Shure KSM 313, Shure SM57 and stereo camera room mic. Mixed with 45% KSM 313, 45% SM57 and 10% room mic.

Ok guys: time to come out clean.
I can't make it sound like I hear in every MK2 C+ or JP video.
I don't have the same guitar nor pickups nor woods.

I have the Axe FX 3 into a matrix power amp GT1000FX and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto (the vertical one).

The thing is I can't find enough gain even if pushed to the limit. I feel the need to put an overdrive in front of it... That's based on the preset pictures here in this post. Are there any tricks to get that little more gain to go on full LIQUID Petrucci lead mode and tight rhytm aggression?

Best regards

have you got poweramp modelling turned on?

The more I explore the AXE III, the more I realise the modelling is SPOT ON and even with all the power the unit offers, keeping things simple often works best.

As an experiment I plugged in Petrucci's knob positions and amp channel selections from the photos in the first post in this thread, loaded up my go to combination of YA Factory IR's with some low and high cut, kick on an enhancer block and boom - instant Petrucci (if you use a JP signature guitar, minus the beard e.t.c lol). I remember having to do all sorts of gymnastics with previous units (Standard and AX8) to try and get close. But with the III I am finding if you want to cop the tone of someone, just plug in their settings exactly and it gets you there as long as you use a similar guitar of course.

The real trick now is selecting the right IRs, and as there are so many great ones in the III I find I don't even need to stray very far or take very long to get a great tone.

I have attached a simple patch which includes the exact settings above, plus some scenes with slightly tweaked versions that I prefer for my own use. Have also included an accurate delay block which recreates the sound from the Petrucci video in one of the above threads (this one: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/post-1773835) Thanks to @bradlake I believe for the original settings for this.

I have kept the patch as small and simple as possible and think it sounds great. A little goes a long way in this brave new world - I need to remind myself to not get caught up in all the bells and whistles when simple gets you there.

A note on the eq sliders: I find myself using the same settings (included in the patch) more or less for my Mark Rhythm and Lead tones which don't mimic the look of the Petrucci settings above. But I understand that the taper of the eq sliders are quite extreme so other than the general shape, need to use your ears for the EQ. @2112 has some good settings he uses for the EQ as well where he boosts rather than cuts 240hz.

A note on pull gain: Petrucci pulls the gain on these amps. In the III, I think raising the Input Drive on the ideal page to 6-6.5 for Rhythm and 8 for leads does the trick to emulate this.

A further note: if you check instagram etc, Petrucci changes he settings a bit from time to time. He mainly seems to ride the treble and presence knobs up and down the most as the mood strikes him. I find myself riding these same two controls and leaving everything the same mostly. He also boosts the mids to about 4 sometimes and changes the bass from about 1-2.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Petrucci JP2C Copy Settings.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 77
The more I explore the AXE III, the more I realise the modelling is SPOT ON and even with all the power the unit offers, keeping things simple often works best.

As an experiment I plugged in Petrucci's knob positions and amp channel selections from the photos in the first post in this thread, loaded up my go to combination of YA Factory IR's with some low and high cut, kick on an enhancer block and boom - instant Petrucci (if you use a JP signature guitar, minus the beard e.t.c lol). I remember having to do all sorts of gymnastics with previous units (Standard and AX8) to try and get close. But with the III I am finding if you want to cop the tone of someone, just plug in their settings exactly and it gets you there as long as you use a similar guitar of course.

The real trick now is selecting the right IRs, and as there are so many great ones in the III I find I don't even need to stray very far or take very long to get a great tone.

I have attached a simple patch which includes the exact settings above, plus some scenes with slightly tweaked versions that I prefer for my own use. Have also included an accurate delay block which recreates the sound from the Petrucci video in one of the above threads (this one: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/post-1773835) Thanks to @bradlake I believe for the original settings for this.

I have kept the patch as small and simple as possible and think it sounds great. A little goes a long way in this brave new world - I need to remind myself to not get caught up in all the bells and whistles when simple gets you there.

A note on the eq sliders: I find myself using the same settings (included in the patch) more or less for my Mark Rhythm and Lead tones which don't mimic the look of the Petrucci settings above. But I understand that the taper of the eq sliders are quite extreme so other than the general shape, need to use your ears for the EQ. @2112 has some good settings he uses for the EQ as well where he boosts rather than cuts 240hz.

A note on pull gain: Petrucci pulls the gain on these amps. In the III, I think raising the Input Drive on the ideal page to 6-6.5 for Rhythm and 8 for leads does the trick to emulate this.

A further note: if you check instagram etc, Petrucci changes he settings a bit from time to time. He mainly seems to ride the treble and presence knobs up and down the most as the mood strikes him. I find myself riding these same two controls and leaving everything the same mostly. He also boosts the mids to about 4 sometimes and changes the bass from about 1-2.

Enjoy.
Which FW version is it?

Here is my take on the JP-2C. I put Factory Cabs in place of my usual purchased OH Cabs. I wasn't trying to get to close to his sound per say but just what sounded good to me. FW9 BTW

Attachments

• JP-2C+.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
What are some of the suggested cabs to use? I've always favored the Legacy 35 cab, with my setup. It sounds perfect for the clean channel, but gets a little dark to me for green, yellow and red.
Man there are many
Yorks Recto
ML sound lab 212 412
OH recto
OH traditional.
Try the Legacy Petrucci V30 cab as well.
After much experimentation I keep coming back to the ML USA TRAD cab in the ML Legends Cab Pack. To my ears, this nails the Petrucci tone. Could also try the 57-421 Mix 01 (or 04) from Cab Pack 7. I think the ML USA TRAD must be the Mix 01 from that pack. There is something a bit magic about that IR.

It also plays nice with the 4x12 Recto ST 121 from YA ( Factory Cab) if you want to mix in some more brightness. I find pulling the 121 down by -4 to -6db sounds good.

Also, the new gain enhancer feature on low settings (1 works for me) adds some more goodness to this tone.

Back
Top Bottom