Some more Marshallesque fun (new Slash amps included)

What's Your Fav?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, enlighten us. It's quiet on the board, there won't be many other participants....

OK, order is:

AFD 1
AFD 2
Splawn
Jumpered Plexi 50w
Dirty Shirley

Hmmmmmm ..., interesting ! I voted for #3 the Splawn .... When I've tried to use that in my own preset building, it takes some serious boosting in the "highs" in order to work for me .... And I also saw that no one voted for AFD 2, and again in my own patch building I actually prefer that by a HUGE margin over AFD 1 ..... Hmmmmmmm ?

Last edited:
I knew right away which one was the Splawn. Ex bandmate had one.

Yeah that one was apparent. I was a bit confused because I thought one was a Freidman BE (reading comprehension fail) and none of them sounded like a BE to me.

Anyways... the reason Splawns sound weird is because the tone stack is plate driven. You lose the cathode follower compression and the high source resistance of the plate alters the tone stack frequency response.

Hmmmmmm ..., interesting ! I voted for #3 the Splawn .... When I've tried to use that in my own preset building, it takes some serious boosting in the "highs" in order to work for me .... And I also saw that no one voted for AFD 2, and again in my own patch building I actually prefer that by a HUGE margin over AFD 1 ..... Hmmmmmmm ?

The plate driven tone stack in the Splawn reduces the highs considerably. You can see this is you run Tone Stack Calculator for the Marshall tone stack and increase the source resistance.

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, as I liked 2 the best, easily. Sounded like the Splawn to me, but I just read the thread and saw I was wrong on that.

Clip 1 sounds a lot like one of my go to patches so that's obviously my favorite. I actually liked what was going on with clip 3, but that's probably because it was the most different of the bunch.

I'll have to try the bright switch on the Dirty Shirley as it's another of my favorites. Lately I've been stuck on that damn Bassman and Tucana. Good lord they are glorious.

man I'm glad you posted this thread up. I created some killer patches using the Dirty Shirley and the new AFD1 using the stock TV cab.
Up to this point I had ignored the Dirty Shirley, now I am loving it :)
I also just discovered the CAE+ lead and with a couple of my Redwirez go to Marshall cabs I've got a killer shred patch.
This was a great Update.

Yeah, I usually just like the bright switch "on" as a rule, so when I engaged it for the first time on the Dirty Shirley, it was a revelation. It's my fave Marshall Tone in the box and what I use in all my Marshall patches live. I always want to love the BE and HBE but there are just some freq's that always sound congested/smeared to me, no matter the ir. They sound huge and and have tons of thump but there's a lack of clarity in a certain range that drives me batty. To my ears, the Shirley has more clarity and just cuts/sits better.

Im on my way to vacation (Axe is with me, of course), so I can't post patches until late tonight or tomorrow, but my settings were the same for the most part, Master may have been a tad higher for the AFD's.

My basic Dirty Shirley rock tone is:

Gain - 6
Bass - 5
Mids - 5-6
Treb - 5-6
Presence - 3
Master - 5
Bright - on

I've played with the Master higher on that amp and the highs/upper mid seem to get fizzy/ratty, but depending on guitar you could maybe work it a bit harder. Could also eq and perhaps remove the Bright switch to offset.

The settings for the AFD were almost exactly the same, except i think I had the Master on that amp up around 7.

I will post patches as soon as I can fire up my Axe and Edit. Thanks for the interest and kinds words, guys, means a lot.

Sorry if I lost something with the release but with this thread already hot I have a question ... wich one of the AFDs is the real one matched and wich was the "constructed" without the real thing A\Bing ?

Sorry if I lost something with the release but with this thread already hot I have a question ... wich one of the AFDs is the real one matched and wich was the "constructed" without the real thing A\Bing ?

Brit Super: based on schematic.
Brit AFS: based on the real thing.

So, do we still need the Brit Super in there if we've now got the "real thing"?

(Perhaps it's time to make room for a Rivera K100 ch1 !?) :eek:)

So, do we still need the Brit Super in there if we've now got the "real thing"?

(Perhaps it's time to make room for a Rivera K100 ch1 !?) :eek:)

I'm sure there are users out there that would say something along the lines of "I don't care if it's accurate, it's my go-to amp". I think there's probably room for still more amps under the hood in there.

Back
Top Bottom