I bet I can't get a great answer to this one, but here goes.

NiceChris

Experienced
Why can't the front row buttons of the MFC-101 be IA switches, ( eg SCENES is a useful on, as is Tap tempo.), and have the Preset switching further away from the user? I use scene changes more often than preset changes. MFCs are supposed to make life easier. Why should the user have to risk initiating a Preset change when going for a scene change?

Please do not even bring the Reveal button into play here. I have seen when that goes wrong. When teching for someone, a cameraman knocked the cable out of the MFC which I replugged in, only for the victim (aka the guitarist) and the villain of the piece (aka me) to forget to press the Reveal before trying to change Scene. It became an arse-fest of preset changes, which resulted in having to stop the shoot. It was quite embarrassing, to say the least.

Another way: Buy Roadrunner's EXT4MFC - 4 extra switches designed to match the MFC itself. Configure the 2 bottom switches to scene up/down - and keep preset up/down on the right side. Works like a charm!

_Q0Q9924_zps47f19b45.jpg

_Q0Q9928_zps907df008.jpg

the mfc was created before scenes existed. not sure why it's "counter-intuitive" because YOU use scenes more than presets. maybe majority of users still use presets. the MFC still makes things easier than not having an MFC, even though one feature request isn't granted yet.

regardless, preset changes are hard coded to start from switch 1, therefore forcing you to use the first row for preset changes (instead of another row).

this has been a popular request for a while, but it has not been implemented and barely if at all commented on by anyone at Fractal.

some people are switching the ribbon cables inside so that the cable feeding row 1 is instead feeding row 3, for example. then row 3 has preset switches (and are technically now switches 1-5), then row 3's cable goes to row 1 (now switches 11-15) and you can assign scenes freely to those. definitely a hack, but many use it successfully.

create another wish thread in the MFC Wishes sub-forum ASKING for the feature. that's probably the best way to get support for this request and we'll see if Fractal can do anything about it.

to overcome this, i've lately gone to a bank size of 0 meaning none of the IA switches are/can be presets. i could make the first row Scene changes if i wanted. i actually make the 2nd row scenes, and the first row are general MIDI commands to control external gear like my iPad lyrics or my VoiceLive Rack. the Bank Up/Down switches change presets one by one in order. i use the Swap function on the Axe to re-order my presets in the order i need for a show or in general.

Yes you can.

Switch the ribbon cables in the MFC. I did......works great.

Use Stomp labels to properly label the changes.

Like this? :D http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...g-best-midi-controller-world-even-better.html

I soon noticed after I did it that I don't like my edit switch on the front row.

I was just a bit miffed as to why it isn't standard. It's a lovely machine, this it just a thing that annoys me about it, and it really caught me on the fly that day. Why do these things never happen until you go live?

Cliff, thank you for your reply. It seems like it can be done.

Once Matt gets back from NAMM we'll look into this as a feature for the next firmware.

I was about to join in to request this. Not that I'm a huge scene user, but I use IAs a lot more than I change presets and I like the idea of putting presets in the 3rd row.
But seeing this from Cliff - well - this is great.

Thanks!

Like this? :D http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...g-best-midi-controller-world-even-better.html

I soon noticed after I did it that I don't like my edit switch on the front row.

I was just a bit miffed as to why it isn't standard. It's a lovely machine, this it just a thing that annoys me about it, and it really caught me on the fly that day. Why do these things never happen until you go live?

Cliff, thank you for your reply. It seems like it can be done.

Yes! Like that!

Doesn't bother me none that the Edit switch is on the first row and the UP/DOWN on the 2nd and 3rd rows.

But.......

HAPPY DAY!!!

The man himself chimed in on your post!

Hopefully can be done!

I agree with jamn4jc....the extraordinary is ordinary around here!

to overcome this, i've lately gone to a bank size of 0 meaning none of the IA switches are/can be presets. i could make the first row Scene changes if i wanted.
Always had it like this after I switched over to using scenes instead of presets.

Also, you can manually assign PC messages to the upper IAs to select presets when doing this.

But whatever, they are already thinking about adding a feature that does this automaticly, so why not?

to overcome this, i've lately gone to a bank size of 0 meaning none of the IA switches are/can be presets. i could make the first row Scene changes if i wanted. i actually make the 2nd row scenes, and the first row are general MIDI commands to control external gear like my iPad lyrics or my VoiceLive Rack. the Bank Up/Down switches change presets one by one in order. i use the Swap function on the Axe to re-order my presets in the order i need for a show or in general.

Works great when all the presets are in exactly the correct order.

If not, then the downside is that when you go, for example, from preset 1 to 5, every preset inbetween will be shortly recalled (audible). And it takes longer to switch between non-adjacent presets.

Anyway, glad to see this thing has attention. It's #2 on my personal list. :)

Once Matt gets back from NAMM we'll look into this as a feature for the next firmware.

Any chance you can make the Reveal switch assignable too? I wish I could assign it to an external switch or the first row. I'm really short and find it hard to reach anything past the first two rows, while keeping my balance with my Guitar or Bass and not falling forward and hitting the wrong switches. I also accidentally hit switches with my heel when reaching for anything past the first two rows.

It is far easier to use the front row of switches than all the ones above.

Personally I wish the whole MFC was wider and shorter.. like this. I know it wouldn't fit into a rack drawer then, but I don't carry it like that anyway.

mfcwide.jpg

Last edited:
It is far easier to use the front row of switches than all the ones above.

Personally I wish the whole MFC was wider and narrower.. like this. I know it wouldn't fit into a rack drawer then, but I don't carry it like that anyway.

View attachment 19375
That configuration, along with my 3 Mission pedals, and then all mounted on a pedalboard would be like half the width of the entire stage at some of the places I play at! :lol

Back
Top Bottom