Cliff - Slope resistor?

i'd like to see more "mix" cabs in the axe, that just sound great right off the bat (like the basketweave green, tv and ax mixes). and maybe some more unusual cabs, like marshall bass cabs and pa cabs. i played though some original 1969 marshall 4x10 pa cabs once and they sounded amazing

Yup. Those mixed cabs have been fantastic for my tones. +1 to this!

I have contemplated exposing all of the tone stack values so you could design your own but that would further complicate things for many people.

I'd very much welcome that addition as it would give ultimate control to such an important element in tone shaping. As others have indicated, perhaps the parameters could be enabled/disabled in a menu to keep things 'out of site, out of mind' for users that may feel overwhelmed by those options.

I wonder how close to this we can already get with the existing Tonestack Freq, Tonestack Type, Amp EQ and good ol' B/M/T parameters.

I have contemplated exposing all of the tone stack values so you could design your own but that would further complicate things for many people.

Yes, please. Most BMTP people wouldn't touch them any more than they do the other "advanced" parameters. And an amp reset would always get you back to default. For those of us that would like to build real amps and tweak just for fun and to learn, but don't really want to go through all the trouble and/or spend all the money, this would be awesome. And it would give you plenty of things to write about in Cliff's Notes. :)

I'd think pretty close. My assumption is the tone stack setting selects the slope resistor not default treble cap. The slope resistor sets the width of the EQ scoop and the treble cap sets the center freq. Using this argument, setting a 100w plexi model with a jtm45 tone stack creats a 56k slope resistor with a 470p treble cap. Manually entering a freq of 750hz changes the cap to 250p. This is my assumption.

what I'd like to know is if the tone stack selection includes the CF driver bypass cap. E.g. CAE LD should be a 33k/220p with a 1.0u bypass cap on the CF driver.

I wonder how close to this we can already get with the existing Tonestack Freq, Tonestack Type, Amp EQ and good ol' B/M/T parameters.

Do want! This would be beyond advantageous and would be an incredible, priceless additional feature that could be used to sculpt custom tones! PLEASE consider this!

I LOVE this forum/product and NEVER been happier with my gear choices for tone! I can't thank you enough for what you have already given us Mr. Chase! :D

Normal or no bright cap, unless of course it sounds better with it!

Thanks! I tried your suggested settings and the plexi came ALIVE! I also used Scott P's suggested cab mix from the tutorial, the bass cone celestion g12m 55! Thanks everyone!!!

I guess most folks here realise that this is just a minor tone tweak, something that can already be done in many different ways with the available tools. But if anyone thinks there's such a thing as a "magic slope resistor value" that will make them sound like a better player, they're gonna be very disappointed 8)

I guess most folks here realise that this is just a minor tone tweak, something that can already be done in many different ways with the available tools. But if anyone thinks there's such a thing as a "magic slope resistor value" that will make them sound like a better player, they're gonna be very disappointed 8)

:eek: Huh?!?

View attachment 18381

Wha, wha, WHAT? :(

Last edited:
an IR in the ownhammer vintage collection... M-PR-55

Based on a 1971 “pre-Rola” Celestion G12M with 55 Hz cone.

these were/are the speakers used in the old marshall basket-weave "bass" cabs that kossoff was known for using

ah...very interesting!

so how does it sound...with the tweaks and this cab? i'd love to hear a clip :)

ah...very interesting!

so how does it sound...with the tweaks and this cab? i'd love to hear a clip :)

I think it sounds great with scott's mix based off the tutorial here at

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ideo-cab-lab-speaker-resonance-frequency.html

OH MAR-CB M-PR-55 SS DYN-57
OH MAR-CB M-PR-55 SS CND-70
OH MAR-CB M-PR-55 SS DYN-421

I used the SS vs T2 version as my own preference. The T2 added a little more low end-bass. I won't be at my axe 2 until Wednesday, but i will try and get it a clip then!

Just for fun, I did a tonematch from this video and will test the TM this weekend at my gig

brilliant - that's what i was looking for, thank you! :)

Yes, use JTM tonestack, and reduce bright cap, gets you close to Super Bass. Great amp, its what Doyle Bramhall II used with Eric Clapton on tour. Love pedals too. Eric Johnson mods his Marshalls to have a tone stack more like a JTM45 as well.

I'd think pretty close. My assumption is the tone stack setting selects the slope resistor not default treble cap. The slope resistor sets the width of the EQ scoop and the treble cap sets the center freq. Using this argument, setting a 100w plexi model with a jtm45 tone stack creats a 56k slope resistor with a 470p treble cap. Manually entering a freq of 750hz changes the cap to 250p. This is my assumption.

what I'd like to know is if the tone stack selection includes the CF driver bypass cap. E.g. CAE LD should be a 33k/220p with a 1.0u bypass cap on the CF driver.

+1 I would like to know this as well!

Yes, use JTM tonestack, and reduce bright cap, gets you close to Super Bass. Great amp, its what Doyle Bramhall II used with Eric Clapton on tour. Love pedals too. Eric Johnson mods his Marshalls to have a tone stack more like a JTM45 as well.

I tried the plexi normal but removed the bright cap and it was a little too dark...I may try this again reducing instead of removing it to taste.

But when I used the plexi high at this weekend's gig with the bright cap removed, jtm45 tonestack, 750 center freq...AMAZING!!! and another guitarist in our audience also commented on the tone i was getting. He wanted to know how I got that cranked up marshall sound that was far from ice-picky, cut through the mix and could roll off to a fender-esque clean tone :)

I had similar results with the bassman 65 patch I made as well ;)

Loving this!

I would love to see this stuff available. I have done some amp building & tuning in the past and so I would definitely feel comfortable working with the tone stack values. :)

Maybe create an advanced section in the amp block that people wouldn't have to use if they don't want to. And a basic section for the controls they are used to like Bass Mid Treble and Gain.

An 'extra advanced' page would be cool! Many people may choose not to use it (as often happens with the speaker and advanced pages), and thats ok! If it looks complicated, those that don't find tweaking to be fun will probably steer clear of that page anyway. For those of us who enjoy tweaking it will probably be a slippery slope we won't be able to resist. See what I did there?? Don't ban me please.

Back
Top Bottom