'65 Bassman: another Plexi

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I was watching some Youtube videos of amps, when I came across this video, made by Tyler Grund ("Gamedojo" on this forum).

It's a Fender, not a Marshall. :shock
I repeat: it's a Fender, not a Marshall. A '65 Fender Bassman, cranked to 10.

Easily replicated in the Axe-Fx, using the 65 Bassguy model, Input Drive at 10, Treble at 10, Bass maybe turned down a bit, and using the 4x12 Basketweave Green or TV cab.

Hello Angus.

Last edited:
Jim Marshall basically lifted the Fender Bassman 5F6-A Circuit to create JTM45. I do not think he modified the preamp in any way. All I do know is that he swapped a 12AY7 for a 12Ax7 for more gain ... and viola the Marshall was born. So if you have a Bassman just put in a 12AX7 preamp tube, crank it up and presto instant classic Marshall (only better IMO :mrgreen)

To get it authentic in the Axe -- the Bassman sims would need to be modeled with a 12ax7 tube which actually would be cool for some of the other tweed amps as well (alternative tube modeling to give you different inherent headroom and feel).

On another note -- it would be great to know what tubes where used in the amp when it was modeled.

Personally I always favored Bassman amps over Marshalls for that classic rock tone.

All roads always lead back to fender ....

Just say'n!

Last edited:
What LVC said... :)

I love Bassman. In the video you can tell a bassman from a JTM from the way they clean up... the bassman became "fender", the JTM shoul remai more agressive "marshall", more sparkly... not so bloooomy! :lol

Jim Marshall basically lifted the Fender Bassman 5F6-A Circuit to create JTM45. I do not think he modified the preamp in any way. All I do know is that he swapped a 12AY7 for a 12Ax7 for more gain ... and viola the Marshall was born. So if you have a Bassman just put in a 12AX7 preamp tube, crank it up and presto instant classic Marshall (only better IMO :mrgreen)

To get it authentic in the Axe -- the Bassman sims would need to be modeled with a 12ax7 tube which actually would be cool for some of the other tweed amps as well (alternative tube modeling to give you different inherent headroom and feel).

On another note -- it would be great to know what tubes where used in the amp when it was modeled.

Personally I always favored Bassman amps over Marshalls for that classic rock tone.

All roads always lead back to fender ....

Just say'n!

Thats what im saying on the other thread!!. Choice of Preamp Tube simulations is the next step for realism!!!

Thats what im saying on the other thread!!. Choice of Preamp Tube simulations is the next step for realism!!!

That would be sick!

The preamp tube and speaker choice are key to defining an amps feel and tonal characteristics (IMO).

What would really be crazy (and given the decreasing supply of vintage tubes) is modeling the old tubes

Mullards, RCA Blackplates, Telefunken etc etc etc and have a virtual tube vault (preamp tubes, power tubes etc) where you can try different tubes in your amp to see what tubes/match with what speakers get you the sound you are going for.

This might be science fiction for now or maybe not.

That would be sick!

The preamp tube and speaker choice are key to defining an amps feel and tonal characteristics (IMO).

What would really be crazy (and given the decreasing supply of vintage tubes) is modeling the old tubes

Mullards, RCA Blackplates, Telefunken etc etc etc and have a virtual tube vault (preamp tubes, power tubes etc) where you can try different tubes in your amp to see what tubes/match with what speakers get you the sound you are going for.

The realism of FW11 was rocket science a week ago. Just say`n ;)

That would be sick!

Exactly!!!! Fractal already has the Tech to do it right!

Its very important to keep information factual as possible. Even though Marshall started out by copying the TWEED bassman circuit as close as he could to sell in his stores, the 1965 bassman head has almost NO circuitry that is similar to any Marshall amp.

FWIW< thats my youtube video:) I was very shocked at the Marshall tones from that amp and had to demonstrate it.

Holy s%$tballs..........I just tried this plugged into my normal patch template with a little studio comp, verb and multi-delay wrapped around it. Instant gold!!!
I love it. My previous number 1 & 2 OD patches may have to go to the dance without me.

Thanks for this post Yek.

Reactions: yek
There's a preset patch called something like 'Bassman set to explode' that I was messing with last weekend. Kinda thick, but definitely reminded me of a Marshall grind.

From a previous post by Cliff:

"The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender. I was told it is stock."

Its very important to keep information factual as possible. Even though Marshall started out by copying the TWEED bassman circuit as close as he could to sell in his stores, the 1965 bassman head has almost NO circuitry that is similar to any Marshall amp.

FWIW< thats my youtube video:) I was very shocked at the Marshall tones from that amp and had to demonstrate it.

I don't think comments with respect to Bassman and Marshall were about your 65 but about the old bassman circuit which Marshall lifted (fairly well documented).

LOVE that tune and that guitar sound!
Check out how much the drummer spazzes out and speeds up the fills during the "solo" section. Didn't realize how goofy that drummer was until I picked up my sticks to learn and record drums for my backing tracks on that one. Fun stuff.

The old Bassman heads are fantastic amps! I'm partial to the old Blondes- they can deliver a hell of a sonic punch. Check out anything done by Brian Setzer for a sample- or really early the Who- or a bunch of Beatles recordings- or the Cardigans...
Great stuff! My blonde Bassman is the only amp I kept after getting my Axe!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom